AMD fTPM causing random stuttering.

Recently I turned on the fTPM on my asus B550 wifi motherboard because of the new Windows 11 TPM 2.0 requirements, after I did that I started getting random stuttering on everything, heavy cpu or gpu load don’t seem to trigger it, I tried running the heaven benchmark and doing some heavy renders in blender but nothing happened , its just random and everything stutters, discord calls, games, YouTube, it happens randomly at least 3 times a day

I turned off fTPM and the stuttering went away, anyone have a clue what could be happening? I have a 3090 and a 3900xt

10 minutes ago, meemz said:

Recently I turned on the fTPM on my asus B550 wifi motherboard because of the new Windows 11 TPM 2.0 requirements, after I did that I started getting random stuttering on everything, heavy cpu or gpu load don’t seem to trigger it, I tried running the heaven benchmark and doing some heavy renders in blender but nothing happened , its just random and everything stutters, discord calls, games, YouTube, it happens randomly at least 3 times a day

I turned off fTPM and the stuttering went away, anyone have a clue what could be happening? I have a 3090 and a 3900xt

which ASUS b550 wifi motherboard is this? TUF gaming or ROG Strix? 

the tuf gaming has a TPM header. you would do best with buying the TPM chip to go in the header instead of using the fTPM because the Firmware TMP probably steals clock cycles from the CPU if i had to guess. whereas dedicated TPM hardware does not.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-SPI/

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I turned fTPM back on to test and the stuttering came back, it seems to happen more often while doing multiple tasks like streaming while playing a game or working in blender while watching videos.

I still have no idea how to fix this, I don't think my motherboard has the socket for hardware TPM.

I've been searching around and there is barely any information on fTPM issues so I'm kinda out of luck till w11 comes out and more people start having problems

1 minute ago, Heliian said:

Update your bios and drivers and see if that helps. 

I'm on the latest bios and drivers

happened again but this time I had my task manager open to monitor the cpu, it was at 20%

I'm completely lost here.

5 minutes ago, meemz said:

happened again but this time I had my task manager open to monitor the cpu, it was at 20%

Might want to contact the mfg and see.

19 hours ago, The Support Hero said:

Might want to contact the mfg and see.

yep

23 hours ago, meemz said:

20% on each core or was one core pinned at 100% and the rest at 0%? 

When using task manager, make sure it is set to show all cores in a separate box. If you have one box/square representing all cores, it's easy to think that you are at low usage when in fact one core it hammered while the rest are idle. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

20% on each core or was one core pinned at 100% and the rest at 0%? 

When using task manager, make sure it is set to show all cores in a separate box. If you have one box/square representing all cores, it's easy to think that you are at low usage when in fact one core it hammered while the rest are idle. 

ok I'll do that, tho the stutters don't seem to be related to how hard I hit the CPU, I've tried to trigger the stutters by rendering heavy scenes in blender with the cpu but It doesn't work.
the pc only stutters 2 or 3 times a day completly at random, it will take a while before I can see some info.

it happened again, all the cpu cores were around the same workload, there was one that was a bit higher but barely any different than the other ones.
I also sent some emails to ASUS support and after trying a couple things the guy just started saying stuff like, "don't worry about w11, your motherboard can't use it because you don't have integrated wifi"..... the motherboard is a ROG Strix B550-F WIFI 🙃

I give up for now I'm just gonna turn off fTPM for now and wait for more people to encounter issues like these

I'm having this exact same issue with my 3900x and MSI MEG Unify x570 motherboard. I don't know if fTPM triggered it but I don't remember it happening before turning it on so I'm assuming it's that. I guess I'm just gonna turn it off for now.

so I'm not the only one.

and at least for me I'm 100% sure its caused by fTPM, I turned it off 2 days ago and no stuttering so far.

the ASUS support people stopped replying to my emails, not that it matters because the guy was trying to bullshit me, extra points for also misspelling "student".

if you find a solution please share.

studet.png

Also if the same thing is happening with a different motherboard, its probably something with the 3900x and 3900xt processors.

I hope someone with better tools to diagnose the problem looks into this

Yeah I've turned it off for a few days now and stuttering hasn't happened. Seems like it's an issue with 3900x/xt (though if people with other ryzen processors have the same issue then please speak up!). Not looking to upgrade to Windows 11 anytime soon so I'll just leave it off.

Happening to me as well. I'm using an R5 3600 and an MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus motherboard. Random stutters even when doing light tasks. Problem only goes away when I disable fTPM ://

have you any of you found a way to trigger the stutter? I tried all sorts of things with no success

its crazy how little info there is online about TPM in general.

77 / 5000

Resultados de tradução

I have exactly the same problem. 5600X, B550 Steel Legends, 2060 SUPER

112 / 5000

God, that's exactly it. Any news? What is your setup? Could you specify please. Google Translate 🙂

No news, just waiting for someone better equipped to troubleshoot this to take a look.

speccy.png

I'm not sure if clearing the TPM or re-installing Windows 10 would solve the issue. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot since I'm busy. I hope someone can test.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:03 PM, meemz said:

I give up for now I'm just gonna turn off fTPM for now and wait for more people

I mean theres a reason tpm never took off in the consumer space… its old tech by now, but Microsoft wants it to happen for some reason…

On 7/9/2021 at 10:03 PM, meemz said:

I also sent some emails to ASUS support and after trying a couple things the guy just started saying stuff like, "don't worry about w11, your motherboard can't use it because you don't have integrated wifi"....

Haha, good old Asus support, as clueless as ever 😄

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Do you have something else in your setup like for example... sound card?