The breathing PC (from DIY Perks)

Wiredfutureman

Just watched the DIY Perks build of a “breathing”, water cooled and bellows powered computer and it looks and works amazingly well!

I wonder if a more compact version could have equally good performance and make for one super quiet and elegant workstation... What do you think? 🤔

(Not affiliated - just saw this and thought I’d share with you) 

11 minutes ago, Wiredfutureman said:

I wonder if a more compact version could have equally good performance

A bit more compact without losing performance, maybe... For a lot more compact you'd have to drive that "mover panel" a lot faster... ending up with a lot more noise.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

I don't mind the size, my PC part of the furniture, anyway. I'd be more interested in increasing the size of the top, to fit a couple of large HDDs inside. And also have the bottom part covered up. It's as annoying as animated pictures in forums are.

But what kills it for me is the whole water cooling thing. Not a fan of that type of mess. Having everything passively cooled like in that recent LTT video is more to my liking. I wonder if you can combine them.

Watched this video and the size don't matter either, since it is so cool looking. And you can make it blend in to your home however you like.

Literally was just about to post this on here but you beat me to it. I think the size is fine, if anything it gives it an artsy aesthetic to it 

Pretty cool project using handbuilt enclosures and magnetic bellow system

Ginormous....yet pretty awesome and clever

That dude gives DIY a whole different meaning... Most of us DIY to save money, he makes premium looking products.

For example I used a freaking nail to attach broken laptop hinge back to the screen and replaced broken plastic cover with plywood that I just had lying around. He would find a way to turn old laptop screen into portable monitor and leave laptop keyboard part detached, thus more lightweight, without looking broken . Having a keyboard as computer is fun enough.

Although I think this thing is super cool to see and I love the channel, I think there's something wrong with the argument "it's quieter than fans".

Let me explain: If you have a fan, and you make it smaller, it has to spin faster. Because it spins faster, it makes more noise.

The same thing goes for this device:

On 6/30/2021 at 4:51 PM, Biohazard777 said:

For a lot more compact you'd have to drive that "mover panel" a lot faster... ending up with a lot more noise.

The thing is, if you're going to compare this device to a fan, you'd have to take an absolutely massive fan, the same size as this box, spinning at like 100RPM or whatever for a fair comparison. If you compare this thing to one or a few small case fans, that's not really a fair comparison right?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it can't be, I'm genuinely interested to see if it is, I'm just saying it's not been tested yet and it's too early to claim "quieter than fans". So I'd love to see a follow-up where it is compared in a noise test to an array of fans of the same size!

interesting for sure, but still more novelty than practicality. A bit too much novelty for my taste. What I have found is I'm not staring at the computer when I use it. So spending all this time and effort and money on something that has more look than purpose when i won't typically be looking at it, it just doesn't make much sense to me

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

6 hours ago, akio123008 said:

The thing is, if you're going to compare this device to a fan, you'd have to take an absolutely massive fan, the same size as this box, spinning at like 100RPM or whatever for a fair comparison. If you compare this thing to one or a few small case fans, that's not really a fair comparison right?

Depends on what you're comparing, size or CFM. He showed that the bellows system is equal to about 4x 140mm noctua fans and you can under volt it to make it slower/quieter. And comparing sound to the noctua fans, we already know noctua fans are great with the tone and loudness but this bellows seems to be producing much nicer tone that's equally as loud as the 4x 140mm noctuas running full speed.

He could probably get much quiet results thats still under the thermal limit by moving the bellows slower.

5 hours ago, Iamfreddie said:

Depends on what you're comparing, size or CFM

No what I mean is, you compare a fan of the same size that is configured such that it produces the same CFM.

So that is, the fan is the same size as this machine, and runs at whatever speed is required to achieve the same CFM.

Basically the question is, for a given CFM, at the same size, which one is quieter.

Huge fan of the YouTube channel. Always loving the vids. Would love to see Linus do a blind react to the video of "Building the world's first breathing PC" by diyperks. It's a completely fanless computer case and pretty brilliant build. 

https://youtu.be/C3GKe7eXbPE

4 minutes ago, rhine227 said:

Huge fan of the YouTube channel. Always loving the vids. Would love to see Linus do a blind react to the video of "Building the world's first breathing PC" by diyperks. It's a completely fanless computer case and pretty brilliant build. 

Glad for your suggestion!

There's a thread for video suggestions:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1322697-thread-for-linus-tech-tips-video-suggestions/

32 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Glad for your suggestion!

There's a thread for video suggestions:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1322697-thread-for-linus-tech-tips-video-suggestions/

Sorry, just made the account for suggesting this video. I didn't know ltt had a forum even until now. I looked for what I thought would be the best place to post and I guess I missed that one. Will move it over there and delete this thread if I'm able. Thank you for the link. 

Aye i saw this vid, out of the box thinking for sure and nicely done.

Sure it could use optimizations, making it smaller and more powerful, deadening the sound more etc.

One thing about the vid itself  I didnt like is he made the mistake ALOT  (as in pritty much all of them) of video makers make. He didnt produce a easily reproducible sound prior to demonstrating the noise level the device makes.

E.G dropping a pencil, arms length away from the mic, on top a desk surface. Such an example would allow all viewers to adjust their volume to match their own reproducible pencil drop test so they can get a more accurate idea of the sound of the device, assuming the device is also recorded from arms length from the mic.

Again though this is a very common oversight.

Not sure I would task LTT to mess with the idea tbh, despite their access to alot of tooling, their previous efforts in making similar things have resulted in very jank half arsed results. Each time the excuse being time pressure for the video ...which comes with being company rather than a single person YT channel.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

The thermal performance totally stunned me. I didn't even expected the thermals will be that good.

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, that's been posted here several times. It truly is a wonderful machine, and how they pulled it off is truly incredible.

Merged all the threads posting the DIY perks about the "Breathing PC" together, not including the 83 times it has been posted in the LTT video suggestion asking LTT to copy the idea.

Discount Theon from DIY Perks is great and he has some interesting videos that are definitely worth checking out but it gets pretty annoying after the 112th time they get posted to the forum. Just posting a link to a video is not a discussion. If your post was just a link to the video or an article without any other input or discussion it has been removed in the merge. No point having a dozen posts that are nothing but a link to the same video in the same thread.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I saw this channel create a pc by cooling using magnatic cussing power....and it did amazing in cooling 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:16 AM, Dinky monkey said:

I saw this channel create a pc by cooling using magnatic cussing power....and it did amazing in cooling 

What is this?

"magnatic cussing power"

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi