Does 16 GB ram still strong enough?

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

DDR5 is the 32GB "standard" time imo.

I strongly disagree. 

Right now, for gaming 32GB is not required. DDR4 is reasonably cheap at this time though...

Like I said 32gb of ram objectively has better performance than 16gb of ram regardless if you need to use 32gb of ram. That means it wouldn't be overkill as you would see a performance difference between the two. Also I basically only game and I get very close to going over 16gb of ram simply because I have things like chrome, discord, Spotify, and steam open. Sure you can get by with 16gb but I would say its hardly overkill even if you mostly play games. 

26 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Depending on what you play, 16GB might not be enough.

For example, Minecraft.

Some mod packs can easily require 10GB of RAM just to run. If you then want to also host a local server for your friends and you, you'll need 32GB of RAM.

That said, right now 16GB should be enough for most purpose.

But, as time goes by, 16GB will start not being enough in general, too. Maybe don't upgrade this PC to 32GB, but if you buy a new one in the future (after DDR5 comes out), definitely consider 32GB of RAM.

If you want to host a local server for a LAN Party you should use another computer I think!!!

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Like I said 32gb of ram objectively has better performance than 16gb of ram regardless if you need to use 32gb of ram. That means it wouldn't be overkill as you would see a performance difference between the two. Also I basically only game and I get very close to going over 16gb of ram simply because I have things like chrome, discord, Spotify, and steam open. Sure you can get by with 16gb but I would say its hardly overkill even if you mostly play games. 

Better performance???? What? It should be the same if it has the same speed and timing. Having more RAM =/= better performances. It's just better in case you do actually end up needing it. Even assuming there was any different in performances, it wouldn't even be noticeable to the eye, either. Only in benchmarks.

3 minutes ago, Alex-Bubbler-Leo said:

If you want to host a local server for a LAN Party you should use another computer I think!!!

Not everyone can afford another PC and if all you're doing is playing at times with friends, you don't need it running 24/7 either. Any modern PC with more than 6 core CPUs can handle a server + game without any issue. Heck, even a quad core can do it without any issues.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Better performance???? What? It should be the same if it has the same speed and timing. Having more RAM =/= better performances. It's just better in case you do actually end up needing it. Even assuming there was any different in performances, it wouldn't even be noticeable to the eye, either. Only in benchmarks.

Not everyone can afford another PC and if all you're doing is playing at times with friends, you don't need it running 24/7 either.

If you had looked at my original comment then you would have realized why 32gb is objectively faster than 16gb. Besides in the case of having a 4x4gb configuration which is quite rare. And no its not a negligible amount. It's not necessarily high and depends on the game and a requirement is you are cpu bottlenecked but yeah there is a performance difference. Look at the beginning of this video from hardware unboxed where they compare dual rank vs single rank performance https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DAGux0pANft0&ved=2ahUKEwjbp9uO4J7xAhWNB50JHWYPCNcQwqsBegQIBRAE&usg=AOvVaw1hGz3KoqO5CRqBnZBE96Bc

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Look at the beginning of this video from hardware unboxed where they compare dual rank vs single rank performance

These are two completely different topics, though... You're arguing for 32GB = Better than 16GB. It's not most perceivable in most scenarios if they are truly identical (both single rank, same speed, etc).

4 sticks vs 2 sticks and/or single rank vs dual rank, do indeed offer difference in performance, but that wasn't what you had said in the comment I replied to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

These are two completely different topics, though... You're arguing for 32GB = Better than 16GB. It's objectively not in most scenarios. If both 16GB and 32GB and exactly "the same", there's practically no difference.

4 sticks vs 2 sticks and/or single rank vs dual rank, do indeed offer difference in performance, but that wasn't what you had said in the comment I replied to and I think you're getting these things confused?

Almost all 16gb sticks are dual rank so basically any configuration of 32gb would give you dual rank configuration be it 4x8gb or 2x16gb. You can clearly see this in the video I showed where the 2x16gb kits had basically the same performance as the 4x8gb kits and also outperformed the 2x8gb sticks. So yeah 32gb is basically always better. 

I thought most 16GB sticks were single rank and the duallies were hard to find?

I know 16GB B-Die sticks are dual rank..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

I strongly disagree. 

Right now, for gaming 32GB is not required. DDR4 is reasonably cheap at this time though...

Nobody said it's required

but dual rank/faking it does help in some cases.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Nobody said it's required

but dual rank/faking it does help in some cases.

Nobody said they should not use 32GB - a gamer just does not necessarily need it, strongly!

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Nobody said they should not use 32GB - a gamer just does not necessarily need it, strongly!

i think a lot of gamers have passed by "need" a while ago and generally tend to live in the realm of excess

says the man with 10 core CPU and an RTX 3080 that frame caps at 100 anyway

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Dual rank for sure helps in all work loads on Zen 3, you will get the best performance possible like that, unless you happen to score a unicorn that can do 2000 FCLK or higher. And even then it is no guarantee and is still tough to match if you cant run very tight timings at high speed.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

2 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

I strongly disagree. 

"Right now" as you put it is just that, time isn't stopping for anyone nor will the development of sofware and games which will require more and more RAM as time goes.

Doesn't make sense to assume the status quo will always apply because it won't. Since things are constantly being developed that means for gaming as an example, more data will be in the game and that in turn means more must be processed making the amount of RAM increase as well and it's not limited to gaming itself.

Other things like Photochop will need it too if that's your thing and if it wasn't true we could still use 4GB's worth as we were doing back in 2005 and be OK, but that's simply not the case.

You also said DDR4 is cheap at this time and it means just that, doesn't apply to a year or several from now and the cost WILL increase as time goes too. Also don't forget all the disasters that for the past few years have been occuring like clockwork creating shortages, be it fire, flood, power outages or whatever else you can name.
Seems to happen around Late September or October as a trend (Just in time for holiday shopping!) and if I were a betting man I'd put money something will happen later this year..... But I do hope not.

Either way it makes no sense to plan on things remaining the same because they won't and that includes requirements for a system build or for it to work well with things to come.
Plan ahead and buy accordingly, what will suit one person's situation won't suit another and not everyone upgrades their system every other year, some have to stick it out for the long-haul and if you can add to the useable longevity of a system simply by adding more RAM, just do it. 

Win 11 is already on the way, ready or not and you can expect changes once it's out and in use - Thing is we don't know what these changes will be or what's to come after it's out.
Requirements just to run it and not to mention all else that will come along for it will be, nothing any of us can do to prevent that but we can prepare for it.  

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

4 hours ago, Vayne778 said:

Ok this is the first time I used 8TB HDD (before only 2TB)...and it's only have 1 TB free space at the moment...is it the reason for some pause when I open folder? There is like a fast fan noise too for 1-2 seconds while pause

It sure sounds like the hard drive is going to sleep. Is it an internal or external hard drive? If it's internal you can maybe change when windows puts it to sleep but if it's external there's no any control. You'll just have to live with it. 

4 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Ah I seem to remember me responding to someone saying it was overkill. I also agree that it isn't necessary as you can easily get by on 16gb of ram right now. That doesn't mean 32gb isn't nice to have even as a gamer. I would say that ram is cheap enough already that you can easily get 32gb and it makes sense to do so. 

People, more RAM will not fix his problem.

The hard drive he's accessing is waking from sleep, that's the system hang.  Unless someone suggests he gets 10TB of RAM to cache the entire drive in memory more RAM will do nothing for his problem.

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

People, more RAM will not fix his problem.

The hard drive he's accessing is waking from sleep, that's the system hang.  Unless someone suggests he gets 10TB of RAM to cache the entire drive in memory more RAM will do nothing for his problem.

even large ssds are pretty affordable these days. 1tb for $100 is a lot cheaper than 40gb of hdd in 2000 was

i dunno for me 20% is already high… im also against the idea unused RAM is "wasted" RAM, its just chilling out saving protons…

20210617_215036.thumb.jpg.ad750ce6105f7ae5b724d0d4904e51cb.jpg

And i got tons of stuff running, half I dont even know why (just "windows stuff" i guess)

20210617_215153.thumb.jpg.dde1b3a0fe7e579b5a0464dc2a7bdc80.jpg

But i do agree, higher Ram usage isnt necessarily bad, id be more concerned about  page file, and it sounds OP has issues  with the "big"harddrive, i know that all to well, 3.5 drives are slow af, on windows, im only using.2.5 drive now (15 year old SSHD) and its blazing.fast and *very* silent, unlike clunky 3.5 drives. Only downside 2.5 ususlly max out at 2TB, but that helps them to be more agile I suppose.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i dunno for me 20% is already high… im also against the idea unused RAM is "wasted" RAM, its just chilling out saving protons…

20210617_215036.thumb.jpg.ad750ce6105f7ae5b724d0d4904e51cb.jpg

And i got tons of stuff running, half I dont even know why (just "windows stuff" i guess)

20210617_215153.thumb.jpg.dde1b3a0fe7e579b5a0464dc2a7bdc80.jpg

But i do agree, higher Ram usage isnt necessarily bad, id be more concerned about  page file, and it sounds OP has issues  with the "big"harddrive, i know that all to well, 3.5 drives are slow af, on windows, im only using.2.5 drive now (15 year old SSHD) and its blazing.fast and *very* silent, unlike clunky 3.5 drives. Only downside 2.5 ususlly max out at 2TB, but that helps them to be more agile I suppose.

The more bullshit RGB you got and other peripheral software the worse it gets. I'm on 32gb and my idle process is around 20% thanks to shit like Razer Synapse, iCUE, ASUS Armory Crate, RGB Fusion, etc.

With more and more mismatched parts and their respective software, the need for memory increases a lot. Then you add together all the bullshit game launchers that all seem to link to one another and needing to be run simultaneously, it's a gigantic mess.

I mean look at this shit here:

The launchers themselves sucking up 1440mb

RGB Software is another 800+

2gb right there on bullshit

313648988_Memoryusage.PNG.bf874b4c49d4acdc0c66092f249c7352.PNG

8 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

The more bullshit RGB you got and other peripheral software the worse it gets. I'm on 32gb and my idle process is around 20% thanks to shit like Razer Synapse, iCUE, ASUS Armory Crate, RGB Fusion, etc.

With more and more mismatched parts and their respective software, the need for memory increases a lot.

Ya, i dont do this, partly because of my ocd, partly because at "some point" it will influence performance, also all that stuff makes the pc run louder with more erratic fans…

i even got corsair link because that uses way less cpu than icue, i deinstalled that right away, and my brandnew gskill Ram can run in rainbow barf mode, idc, but i dont install no rgb control (which i incidentally already tried and it didnt work)  🤣

But, of course, in some case, for people who "need" it, 16GB might be cutting it close.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ya, i dont do this, partly because of my ocd, partly because at "some point" it will influence performance, also all that stuff makes the pc run louder with more erratic fans…

i even got corsair link because that uses way less cpu than icue, i deinstalled that right away, and my brandnew gskill Ram can run in rainbow barf mode, idc, but i dont install no rgb control (which i incidentally already tried and it didnt work)  🤣

But, of course, in some case, for people who "need" it, 16GB might be cutting it close.

I have Razery Synapse malware on my computer

it's pretty shitty

With all launchers and RGB stuff on idle, that's 26% usage/8gb out of 32, which would be half of a 16gb system without any games running.

15 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I mean look at this shit here:

The launchers themselves sucking up 1440mb

RGB Software is another 800+

2gb right there on bullshit

313648988_Memoryusage.PNG.bf874b4c49d4acdc0c66092f249c7352.PNG

more than 60 processes is where i draw the line… 😛

tbf, you dont "need" most of the stuff, personally i dont really understand the rgb thing, its not like it *actually* makes the pc faster, in fact, the software slows it down… would be another story if motherboards would come with physical controllers, that actually  work, i guess.  

i also only have steam running usually , they really got the memory usage down (wasnt always like that) 

i mean i kinda almost like my new, controll-less rgb, the way it shines on my noctua cooler reminds me of a vinyl record somehow : D

20210617_222615.thumb.jpg.5071ba3884a883e37ee9dd11f708f8c1.jpg

ps: i still think OP main issue is a slow hdd, rather than RAM? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

more than 60 processes is where i draw the line… 😛

tbf, you dont "need" most of the stuff, personally i dont really understand the rgb thing, its not like it *actually* makes the pc faster, in fact, the software slows it down… would be another story if motherboards would come with physical controllers, that actually  work, i guess.  

i also only have steam running usually , they really got the memory usage down (wasnt always like that) 

i mean i kinda almost like my rgb, the way it shines on my noctua cooler reminds me of a vinyl record somehow : D

20210617_222615.thumb.jpg.5071ba3884a883e37ee9dd11f708f8c1.jpg

ps: i still think OP main issue is a slow hdd, rather than RAM? 

RGB and their associated software can do nothing but be detrimental for performance. No debate on that.

That said, in 2021 PCs aren't just about performance. Aesthetic customization is a big deal and not really going anywhere at this point. And as things stand, in the realm of 12 core processors and 32gb+ systems, impact is usually minimal.

jFZ2Bzm.jpg

But yes, get new storage. I haven't used a hard drive for anything except storing super old crap in years.