Windows 8.1 update for making it more mice and keybourd friendly

Sharif
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Microsoft showed at their BUILD event, the new start menu on Windows 8.1 Update 1 for those who have trouble with the Start Screen, running with desktop and mouse.

Also, universal ModernUI apps (Modern UI apps that can run on anything) can run in windowed mode on the desktop.

buildlive1130.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-teases-a-classic-start-menu-for-windows-8-1-with-built/?ncid=rss_truncated

Update 1:

So just an update, the Start Menu and metro app in Windows will be a future update, and not part of Update 1 coming up next week

As there was no real demo of it at the BUILD event, it looks like it's still in the works.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/windows-8-1-update-hands-on-terrific-tweaks-for-the-m-1556697548

Update 2

Microsoft PR releases a screen shot of the new Start Menu, and windowed mode Windows 8 Apps:

9a.jpg

Notice how the Start Menu is less wide as the article picture. This indicates that it will scale width wise as you add more Windows 8 Apps tiles.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/199505/microsoft-showcases-latest-updates-to-windows.html

NO of course not. There is still the start screen. Now, people natively have the option to use windows like it always was in the past with the start menu. That is the whole point. OPTIONS! That's what makes it awesome. If you don't want to use the start screen now you don't have to. People could have always downloaded a start menu from classic shell or startdock but MS should have had this option before. Windows 8.1 will finally be the best operating system for desktops, tablets, and two in ones now. Amazing for touch interface and mouse and keyboard or a mixture of both.

but.. can you choose the option to only have the start-menu, over the separate app-screen?

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

but.. can you choose the option to only have the start-menu, over the separate app-screen?

You can use the start menu exclusively but you should still be able to get into the start screen. It would probably work just how a 3rd party start menu does. In fact, there is already a way to run modern style apps in a window right now through 3rd party app. Anyway, option are good and this is good news. 

From what I have read the earliest we'll see the "start menu" is in the next update whether it be Win8.1 Update 2 or win 8.2 also whats the point of it in those screenshots it doesnt contain anything different from the start screen really. Its just in the format of the start menu on the left (the part i never used) and on the right your metro apps that I also dont use for the most part. I have a felling the less people will be complaining now but other still will since thats not really "the start menu" if you know what I mean.

To be honest, I think Window-mode Metro apps is the main highlight. Sure, it's still a Metro app, but at least it gives the illusion of a desktop App. Previously, launching Metro apps from the desktop forced the full-screen Metro interface (as of Windows 8 anyway).

yes I agreed and the bad thing about splitting the screen with metro apps was that it actually shrunk your desktop screwing up windows sizes and icon placements.

I might actually be willing to not 100% completely hate Windows 8 now.. but, have they removed the whole-appscreen competely(moved it to the start menu instead)?

no cause its need for tablets and i still see nothing wrong with the start screen as it can actually save time since you dont have to go down and to the left then back up. Just use the win key and you cursor saty were it was and you have minimal movement to click your pinned app or what ever.

I'd like to switch but don't want to use 8.1 for "5" months and then switch to 9.. Seems so pointless that way

that could come in 8.1 update 2 (if there is one) or 8.2 (might have been scratched and renamed win9) or win 9 (cause you know they want to abandon the win 8 branding ASAP)

first to see it live then to react! we all now windows! Remember guys

e9e6fec9f41dff926e81071b81a6fe5490c7787f

XP  vs  VISTA

Vista, Bra!

I think windows 8 was a bit infront of its time, it didnt fit with todays input devices, it only really worked with touch. Pluss someone has to be the first to make drastic changes, before it catches on.

Worked fine with non touch as long as you were willing to change your habits.

From what I have read the earliest we'll see the "start menu" is in the next update whether it be Win8.1 Update 2 or win 8.2 also whats the point of it in those screenshots it doesnt contain anything different from the start screen really. Its just in the format of the start menu on the left (the part i never used) and on the right your metro apps that I also dont use for the most part. I have a felling the less people will be complaining now but other still will since thats not really "the start menu" if you know what I mean.

never understood all the whiners either. The start button on windows 7, xp, vista etc.. sucked. it's horribly inefficient because it takes up such a small space on the screen. Search in windows 8 is awesome (although the categorized search was a little annoying in 8, but thankfully fixed in 8.1) and overall the windows 8 start button is a better interface even for mouse and keyboard.

Only problem for mouse and keyboard was the annoying charms bar you had to open to shut down your computer

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I'm running Windows 8.1 Update 1 installed clean, it's basically Windows 8.1 with a few new features and core fixes thrown in. Worth the upgrade imo, especially if you are a desktop user.

yep im awaiting the update 1 as it got some nice features and improvements

that's not true, I went straight to the HP desktop store and every computer has win 8 as the standard OS.

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/images/auhpshop/ols/category.html#for-home-desktop

they have a section of them, mostly slightly outdated models that they are specifically marketing that you can get them with win7.

I hope I can keep the regular Start screen like what it has now. I actually like it as much, if not more, than the regular start menu. But the windowed Metro apps... WHOOO WEE!!!! I like that.

Same man, you know what really got me to use the start screen? Having my desktop background as the start screen background. You would believe how big of a difference such a small thing makes. With out it it feels link your going to a different part of windows but with it it just feels like your bringing up a overlay.

never understood all the whiners either. The start button on windows 7, xp, vista etc.. sucked. it's horribly inefficient because it takes up such a small space on the screen. Search in windows 8 is awesome (although the categorized search was a little annoying in 8, but thankfully fixed in 8.1) and overall the windows 8 start button is a better interface even for mouse and keyboard.

Only problem for mouse and keyboard was the annoying charms bar you had to open to shut down your computer

agree

and for power in 8 Win+D then Alt+F4 but in 8.1 just use Win+X and power options are in that menu now. Also since the start button is back if you right click that it bring up the Win+X menu as well.

no cause its need for tablets and i still see nothing wrong with the start screen as it can actually save time since you dont have to go down and to the left then back up. Just use the win key and you cursor saty were it was and you have minimal movement to click your pinned app or what ever.

They should in all honesty have separate editions of the OS for laptops, tablets and desktops..

Desktop-users don't want (or need for that matter) the app-screen, which is the reason most people don't want Windows 8, and microsoft needs realize this.

Better pray that Windows 9 won't be this kind of nonsensical bloated dump-ware OS, where they just dump one version of it, on all platforms, expecting everyone to like it.  

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

never understood all the whiners either. The start button on windows 7, xp, vista etc.. sucked. it's horribly inefficient because it takes up such a small space on the screen. Search in windows 8 is awesome (although the categorized search was a little annoying in 8, but thankfully fixed in 8.1)

Define efficient. If something is small and functional, it is efficient (windows 7-), but the win8 start screen is the complete opposite of efficient. And the search worked perfectly fine in win7 (probably the same as 8.1). If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and especially don't break it).

The new stuff in this thread looks awesome though, but I have no reason to upgrade from 7 yet. If dx12 is not on 7,it might be acceptable though.

HTTP/2 203

the think I have a problem with concerning the full screen tiled menu in win 8 is that is takes up the full screen. 

I use the search in windows 7 all day and only rarely use the menu as a menu. The same in win 8 the tiles on my pc are still all basically default. I either pin things to the taskbar or search.

I think this is a nice compromise.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I think I will wait for Windows 9 but good for Windows 8

IMO Windows 8 would probably been received better if they gave us the option to switch to og start menu.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Why did it take this long to do something so simple?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Looks like finally this guys vision of Windows is becoming reality LINK. If Microsoft hasn't hired him yet then they really should since to me it looks like Microsoft is doing basically the same UI as what he has designed. One way or the other I love it and will definitely get it since I have all Windows for free :D

they have a section of them, mostly slightly outdated models that they are specifically marketing that you can get them with win7.

Same man, you know what really got me to use the start screen? Having my desktop background as the start screen background. You would believe how big of a difference such a small thing makes. With out it it feels link your going to a different part of windows but with it it just feels like your bringing up a overlay.

I just have mine crazy perfect (for me). Everything is sorted. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

great i guess, but honestly after a while without the start menu i got used to live without it,,,

its always welcome though

PC Gaming forever...

Now is the time for Microsoft to put Windows 8 Pro on sale like when it first released.

It'd be great for all those looking to upgrade from XP.

Still no AERO?

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

Yay, finally able to upgrade to Win 8.1 with confidence :D 

Still no AERO?

Aero used to be there. But people complained that it had to space in Windows 8, and how it made the transition between Start Screen and desktop to different.

News and blog sites pushed on how Windows 8 would feel 2 different OS because of this, and there was a huge set of people doing mockups on how Microsoft should be doing it.

The removal of Aero was last minute. No one got the Beta version with Aero removed, it was this level last minute.

So people clearly didn't want Aero at all, so Microsoft removed it.

guywithburgerandfistsayingdamn.gif

Nice Daym Drops GIF. :P

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It's also got under the hood performance increases. The official spec for Windows 8.1 Update 1 is 1 GB of ram and 16 GB hard disk space for the 64-bit flavor. Down from the 2 GB of ram and 20 GB disk space for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

Still no AERO?

Aero was a waste of resources. Who wants 32MB of their VRAM hogged by the desktop environment. This is the main reason why Microsoft removed it. It also ate battery life like crazy as well.

When this comes out, I might switch to windows start menu instead of using StartIsBack. Might keep me from having to buy StartIsBack licences every time I want to build a computer for someone.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

Aero was a waste of resources. Who wants 32MB of their VRAM hogged by the desktop environment. This is the main reason why Microsoft removed it. It also ate battery life like crazy as well.

Actually this is partly false.

You need 256MB of video memory for Aero (128MB will do fine, if you keep your number of windows low), assuming 1080p or more screen. But regardless, when you play a game, Aero is disabled. In fact, the simple fact that it doesn't show on your screen, the GPU itself wont' even bother to process anything, and the drivers wont' even send anything to it. Basic, old school, GPU optimization implemented in it's early days.

Also, Aero helped increase your system performance, and increase battery life, not the reverse, unless you decided to buy a system that was under the Windows system requirements, which was the case back in Vista days, that is why, since Win7, Microsoft put hard guidelines to OEMs to be allowed to install Windows, else they have to purchase the normal Windows license frees. This moved prevented manufactures from selling overpriced crap computers.

Now why does it help battery, and consume less ressources?

- Aero uses the GPU to render. Previous GUI system was using the CPU (Luna - XP skin system - was using both. But mostly CPU. The GPU was done for transparency around text, and shadow effect). CPU are horrible at drawing. Don't beleive me, power up an old XP machine, set a background picture (higher the resolution of the background, the better), open the task manager and set the update rate to fast, and take a window and shake it. Watch the CPU spike at 100%. This won't happen on Windows Vista and above.

- Assuming the GPU is follows the requirements of Windows, handling Aero would not clock it any faster than the minimum clock it goes at when idle. Meaning that it won't consume more power than what it is already is. Meaning, you have no diminish of battery life. And because you don't use the CPU to draw, not only you have more resources, but the CPU won't struggle with the GUI, meaning it can stay at low clock longer when on battery, extending the battery life of your system.

Now is the time for Microsoft to put Windows 8 Pro on sale like when it first released.

It'd be great for all those looking to upgrade from XP.

I bought a Windows 8 Pro on eBay for 50$ 6 months ago. You should check there.