Z590 i9 10900k

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, noobftw said:

I already have the 10GB NIC, i need x2 slots anyway. Also, i will stick with Intel i9 10900k for the reasons i have already stated, that my friends still have in the game. 10 cores/20 threads is overkill tbh, i also got a brand new i9 10900k for £300 vs the 700/800 Ryzen 5950x, which was going to be my second choice. 

Oh ok intel all the way then. As for boards you got a couple good recommendations and know the limits if going z590.

Will I have a problem using an i9 10900k with a Z590 motherboard, i guess there's no point in getting a Z490 at this point, right? 

Plugged into it will be:

Samsung 970 2TB NVME

RTX 3090FE

10GB NIC

Thanks. 

Just lookup the board's site and check the CPU Compatability matrix.  Done and done.

I'd say stay with Z590. Newer model motherboard, plus chipset.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

Z590 works fine with it from personal experience. HOWEVER, generally you will lose function of the primary M.2 slot as it is wired specifically for the 11th gen PCIE4 bus.

I would still go with Z590, as they are better quality than Z490.

One of the best boards is actually on the cheaper end, the Gigabyte Z590 UD.

It has great thermal performance.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I mean your 10900k won't use the new features it has so really doesn't matter. Getting a 11900k is not an option either as well it is a worse cpu in every way.

Maybe look at amd? I don't know what you are doing might get a better deal there?

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Z590 works fine with it from personal experience. HOWEVER, generally you will lose function of the primary M.2 slot as it is wired specifically for the 11th gen PCIE4 bus.

I would still go with Z590, as they are better quality than Z490.

One of the best boards is actually on the cheaper end, the Gigabyte Z590 UD.

It has great thermal performance.

I take it I can still use the secondary, 3rd or 4th M.2 slot and max out a Samsung 970 EVO?

2 minutes ago, noobftw said:

I take it I can still use the secondary, 3rd or 4th M.2 slot and max out a Samsung 970 EVO?

Yes, the other chipset-powered m.2 PCIE3 slots work fine

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

For reference I am using an i9-10900KF with a Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX. The top slot is not functional, however I have 2 other slots. One is populated with an ADATA SX8200 1TB.

Before you decide on your motherboard, look at the feature list as well as the VRM thermal performance in the video I posted.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mean your 10900k won't use the new features it has so really doesn't matter. Getting a 11900k is not an option either as well it is a worse cpu in every way.

Maybe look at amd? I don't know what you are doing might get a better deal there?

I really don't fancy AMD, I play games mainly, specifically Warzone. I prefer sticking with an Intel chip when I have an Nvidia GPU. I have heard of strange issues with Ryzen/3 series cards and Warzone, i.e. Low lows in framerate, dev errors, dropped frames in certain parts of the Warzone map using Ryzen.  

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Yes, the other PCIE3 slots work fine

I take it they will run of the chipset lanes and not the CPU, just wondering if i can max out an NVME in terms of speed.

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

For reference I am using an i9-10900KF with a Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX. The top slot is not functional, however I have 2 other slots. One is populated with an ADATA SX8200 1TB.

Before you decide on your motherboard, look at the feature list as well as the VRM thermal performance in the video I posted.

I was sold on getting another ASUS board as i love the BIOS, i will take a look at the video though, thanks. 

Just now, noobftw said:

I take it they will run of the chipset and not the CPU, just wondering if i can max out an NVME in terms of speed.

Yes

They will work fine; however, if having very fast storage with multiple drives is something you prioritize, you might want to look at Ryzen with X570 as they have multiple PCIE4 m.2 slots.

Just now, noobftw said:

I really don't fancy AMD, I play games mainly, specifically Warzone. I prefer sticking with an Intel chip when I have an Nvidia GPU. I have heard of strange issues with Ryzen/3 series cards and Warzone, i.e. Low lows in framerate, dev errors, dropped frames in certain parts of the Warzone map using Ryzen.  

Oh for games amd is best right now by a good margin so I don't see a reason as to not go with them.

There are no issues with warzone since they patched it to be optimized. Game went from a hard 130fps cap to up to 180 (of course depends on the situation but a lot of people are getting 170 average).

So if this is gaming go amd and get a 5800x as that is all you really need or if you want more cores for some reason a 5900x.

What will the 10gb NIC be used for? Already got it? If not it might be cheaper to get a board with it built in.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh for games amd is best right now by a good margin so I don't see a reason as to not go with them.

There are no issues with warzone since they patched it to be optimized. Game went from a hard 130fps cap to up to 180 (of course depends on the situation but a lot of people are getting 170 average).

So if this is gaming go amd and get a 5800x as that is all you really need or if you want more cores for some reason a 5900x.

What will the 10gb NIC be used for? Already got it? If not it might be cheaper to get a board with it built in.

I see this all the time but in most in-depth analysis I see, it's either the 10900k wins slightly overall, and in the cases it doesn't, it's just a few outliers. In either case, the difference is not enough to make any calls to say one is outright better than the other for gaming. In my view, they're mostly the same.

Unless you consider a .9% loss by the 5800x "a good margin"

10900k.thumb.PNG.d9536c3aa61a93f905072193d581ae1a.PNG

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Yes

They will work fine; however, if having very fast storage with multiple drives is something you prioritize, you might want to look at Ryzen with X570 as they have multiple PCIE4 m.2 slots.

I only need one NVME drive/slot, I have a server for those types of storage needs lol.

I would preferably like to max out the Read and Write speed of a single 970 EVO though (even if the chipset lanes), which surely should be possible considering it's not that fast anymore haha

Sequential Read 3500 MB/s
Sequential Write 3300 MB/s

Just now, noobftw said:

I only need one NVME drive/slot, I have a server for those types of storage needs lol.

I would preferably like to max out the Read and Write speed of a single 970 EVO though (even if the chipset lanes), which surely should be possible considering it's not that fast anymore haha

Sequential Read 3500 MB/s
Sequential Write 3300 MB/s

Well 970 is PCIE3 interface, so it should go as fast as it's designed to on a PCIE3 slot.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I already have the 10GB NIC, i need x2 slots anyway. Also, i will stick with Intel i9 10900k for the reasons i have already stated, that my friends still have in the game. 10 cores/20 threads is overkill tbh, i also got a brand new i9 10900k for £300 vs the 700/800 Ryzen 5950x, which was going to be my second choice. 

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I see this all the time but in most in-depth analysis I see, it's either the 10900k wins slightly overall, and in the cases it doesn't, it's just a few outliers. In either case, the difference is not enough to make any calls to say one is outright better than the other for gaming. In my view, they're mostly the same.

Unless you consider .4% "a good margin"

10900k.thumb.PNG.d9536c3aa61a93f905072193d581ae1a.PNG

Oh huh odd. The reviews I looked at put it at worst as equal or a 5% margin above. Good to know.

1 minute ago, noobftw said:

Oh ok intel all the way then. As for boards you got a couple good recommendations and know the limits if going z590.

Yes, thanks for the help 🙂

Appreciated 

I'm also going to 'try' OC the nuts of the 19 10900k on a dual 420 RAD custom loops, wish me look. 

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh huh odd. The reviews I looked at put it at worst as equal or a 5% margin above. Good to know.

There are some cases where Ryzen pulls ahead (1080p/medium) by a "good margin" but they are usually in scenarios where both platforms are already topping 300+ fps.

Most games are +/-5% in either direction, with a handful of big outliers on both sides. GN's review is the most favorable for Ryzen; however they have the most inflated method (which isn't wrong, just more scientific vs. practical) and even then, the sample size of games is quite small compared to say HUB's analysis. 

In general, the performance at this point between processor families I feel is virtually identical, and MUCH smaller than the gap between Intel and Ryzen 1-3rd generation.

Some more references:

One last question regarding DRAM, what kind of memory kit (speeds of 3800Mhz upwards of 4800Mhz) will be supported with a 10th gen chip in z590 board?

Just now, noobftw said:

One last question regarding DRAM, what kind of memory kit (speeds of 3800Mhz upwards of 4800Mhz) will be supported with a 10th gen chip in z590 board?

Is an 11th gen chip needed for support of faster RAM

Just now, noobftw said:

Is an 11th gen chip needed for support of faster RAM

IIRC, both the 10th and 11th have the same IMC - so it should be similar. I think theoretically 11th gen might allow for faster memory speeds specifically because they allow decoupling the memory from system agent (Gear 2), but I don't know if that results in actual better performance in real world tasks.

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

IIRC, both the 10th and 11th have the same IMC - so it should be similar. I think theoretically 11th gen might allow for faster memory speeds specifically because they allow decoupling the memory from system agent (Gear 2), but I don't know if that results in actual better performance in real world tasks.

Perfect, thanks for that, Is there a diminishing speed for memory when gaming, or is it worth going 4000 upwards, low latency/timings for extra FPS..