No POST problem made my friends PC not POST aswell.

Go to solution Solved by Leon_Elliot,
6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Keep us in the loop, I'd very curious what you find out.

OOOOKAY. The problem or better problems are completely confirmed. So what we did when I came to his place is we both scrambled our PC's part by part and started from scratch. Two empty mobos on the table. First we put all he has in my motherboard, so GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD and connected it to his PSU which is modular so that we don't mess too much with cables. And guess what, it booted. It took like 30 seconds to even show the asrock logo, we were going to turn everything off but it booted, checked the disk and booted into his windows. After that we were very very confused since we did that earlier in my case with pretty much same components and it didn't work so what is the problem now since everything works. We go one by one. We switch out the RAM one by one then put both. Works in every case. Put my GPU back, it boots THANK GOD. So now it's narrowed to either SSD or CPU which makes no sense. We put my SSD and it boots into my windows. So its my processor 100%. After that its like okay my processor is dead that's why it didn't boot but what's wrong with his PC? I mean all the components worked before we were combining our components for the first time, it can't be the mobo right? So we put his CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD onto his mobo. It doesn't boot. We try a few more combos, it doesn't boot. In the end his motherboard somehow died and it happened in the process of me testing my GPU aswell as SSD and RAM on it??? But all in all with process of elimination we narrowed it down to what died and what didn't and thankfully I can RMA my processor and he can RMA his mobo since we both have warranty. The whole problem and process of solving it in the end was very funny and bizzare. Not one post gave us even the idea of something like this occuring but we solved it, together, somehow. Thank you for your replies and I hope this helps someone in the future. 

Recently I've had a fairly common problem where my PC boots but gives no signal on monitor(fans and led's all light up) . I've tried EVERYTHING. From cables, changing monitors, clearing CMOS, testing another PSU(friends) , breadboarding with/without different components, reseating every component, every cable, looked for shorts, sent my MOBO on testing and possibly RMA since it was my main suspect, it worked fine there...
 So after days of trying everything I contacted a friend to help me troubleshoot further since he's into PC's and was willing to help. Since the mobo is clear, our main suspect is the GPU. So we put his GPU in my PC, still no POST whatsoever, same problem. We also replaced our RAM and SSD, still no POST. After all this we put back all his components back (GPU, RAM, SSD) and he gets the exact same problem.
No post, no display, no signal, everything boots fine and lights up.

What to do next? Did anyone experience something similar? Could a virus do something like this even tho I don't have any idea where I could've picked it up?
Is there any chance of him getting his PC back to normal, at this point I don't even care about mine. 

My specs: R5 2600x, Sapphire RX580 4gb, Asrock B450M Pro4-F, SeaSonic GM 650, Kingston A2000 M. 2 ssd and barracuda hdd

18 minutes ago, Leon_Elliot said:

Could a virus do something like this

No.

Is your CPU supported out of the box by your mobo? Some need a BIOS update before they will see modern Ryzens.

If all else fails, take the mobo out of the case, put on a phonebook or something, and try to boot it that way, you might have a short.

Does your mobo have an on-board speaker, or LED diag lights? Those can be handy to troubleshoot with.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

26 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

No.

Is your CPU supported out of the box by your mobo? Some need a BIOS update before they will see modern Ryzens.

If all else fails, take the mobo out of the case, put on a phonebook or something, and try to boot it that way, you might have a short.

Does your mobo have an on-board speaker, or LED diag lights? Those can be handy to troubleshoot with.

Yes, mobo supports the cpu. Everything was working fine for 6 months until one point where I just went to restart my PC and it ended up in an infinite shutdown and after that and infinite boot. 

Unfortunately no, I have no onboard speaker or anything similar. 

hmm...that's a weird one for sure.

Unfortunately tools to test the health of components require a system to boot.

If you just put in the CPU/GPU and 1 stick of RAM, will it post at all? 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

How did you guys check the components? Like if you'd have replaced components in your friends PC with yours one by one, you should be able to find the problematic component right? Also try single channel RAM?

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

hmm...that's a weird one for sure.

Unfortunately tools to test the health of components require a system to boot.

If you just put in the CPU/GPU and 1 stick of RAM, will it post at all? 

It's definitely a weird one. Especially how he has the same problem now too. I've tried to boot it with only CPU and fan, GPU and one stick of RAM which didn't work. After that I was 99% mobo is the problem so I tried to RMA it but the sellers tested it and said it worked fine. After that suspicion fell on my GPU of course but after putting his 1660ti in my PC the problem persists. I don't know what to try now. 

1 minute ago, Leon_Elliot said:

I was 99% mobo is the problem so I tried to RMA it but the sellers tested it and said it worked fine

I'd get a second opinion, something from a local shop, where you can watch the guy work on it.

Just now, Leon_Elliot said:

It's definitely a weird one. Especially how he has the same problem now too. I've tried to boot it with only CPU and fan, GPU and one stick of RAM which didn't work. After that I was 99% mobo is the problem so I tried to RMA it but the sellers tested it and said it worked fine. After that suspicion fell on my GPU of course but after putting his 1660ti in my PC the problem persists. I don't know what to try now. 

uhm, what about CPU? Also, why put your friend's part in your machine?!

Shouldn't you try putting YOUR parts in HIS machine one by one? Because HIS machine was the one in working condition?

2 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

How did you guys check the components? Like if you'd have replaced components in your friends PC with yours one by one, you should be able to find the problematic component right? Also try single channel RAM?

Well first we put his GPU in my mobo which again didn't work. So we thought my GPU may be okay after all and we put it in his PC which didn't work. After that I guess is when his pc started having the same problem. Yes tried single channel RAM. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'd get a second opinion, something from a local shop, where you can watch the guy work on it.

I agree. Tommorow is monday so I'm taking our PC's to a repair shop. The guy will probably analize this better than us since he has a lot of parts. 

Well first we put his GPU in my mobo which again didn't work. So we thought my GPU may be okay after all and we put it in his PC which didn't work. After that I guess is when his pc started having the same problem. Yes tried single channel RAM. 

His specs?
And remember this, when you don't know what is wrong, you should try to guess what works okay. So try your parts in a good PC, any not good parts in a "Not working" pc.

Just now, Leon_Elliot said:

I agree. Tommorow is monday so I'm taking our PC's to a repair shop. The guy will probably analize this better than us since he has a lot of parts. 

Yes, it's either a bad CPU (which is actually rare if you aren't overclocking it) or bad mobo.

6 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

uhm, what about CPU? Also, why put your friend's part in your machine?!

Shouldn't you try putting YOUR parts in HIS machine one by one? Because HIS machine was the one in working condition?

Well because that way I can eliminate the component thats faulty. If my GPU doesn't work wouldn't putting his one in my build confirm that? 

Well because that way I can eliminate the component thats faulty. If my GPU doesn't work wouldn't putting his one in my build confirm that? 

No? In your case, you DO NOT know what is wrong with your PC. So how does putting a new GPU or anything new will help?
On the other hand, if you put your components in a new PC one by one, you'll be able to figure out easily if that part is the culprit or not.

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, it's either a bad CPU (which is actually rare if you aren't overclocking it) or bad mobo.

Yeah it would be weird if its the CPU since I never messed with it or anything but who knows. Also even tho the mobo was tested I still have a strong feeling that everything would work if I just switched out my mobo. 

Okay, I will make sure to answer here what happens in the end. 

Just now, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

No? In your case, you DO NOT know what is wrong with your PC. So how does putting a new GPU or anything new will help?
On the other hand, if you put your components in a new PC one by one, you'll be able to figure out easily if that part is the culprit or not.

You do have a point. Unfortunately the rest of the internet suggests different approaches since this kind of problem commonly involves problems with these specific components. I agree I should've been more open minded but as a person who fixes everything with internet I thought this problem could be fixed that way too but to no results... 

You do have a point. Unfortunately the rest of the internet suggests different approaches since this kind of problem commonly involves problems with these specific components. I agree I should've been more open minded but as a person who fixes everything with internet I thought this problem could be fixed that way too but to no results... 

I agree. Though next time before doing anything like this one your own, come here and ask people. I always do this because I trust a well known tech community more than random dude on youtube 🙂

Just now, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

I agree. Though next time before doing anything like this one your own, come here and ask people. I always do this because I trust a well known tech community more than random dude on youtube 🙂

Will do next time. Reddit hasn't helped me at all in the end so I came here. If I was at least in the America I would send this PC to linus himself. I think he would have some really good content with my problem.

I'll make sure to reply here what fixed this in the end. 

8 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

But but you're a random dude in a forum, same same. 😄

15 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

You must not have fixxed many computers, thats exactly how you diagnose problems.

6 minutes ago, Leon_Elliot said:

Will do next time. Reddit hasn't helped me at all in the end so I came here. If I was at least in the America I would send this PC to linus himself. I think he would have some really good content with my problem.

I'll make sure to reply here what fixed this in the end. 

Lol if you send Linus a PC it better be special. He to busy to fix your PC, only useful if your PC is special.

I am curious too, thanks for the willingness to report back! 👍

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

This looks like a fun problem to solve. Curious as well.

OP, what are the specs of your buddy's PC and can you swap motherboard/CPU between them?

elephants

39 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

This looks like a fun problem to solve. Curious as well.

OP, what are the specs of your buddy's PC and can you swap motherboard/CPU between them

We have the same CPU, 2600x

He has Asrock B350M Pro4, I have Asrock B450M Pro4f, he has coolermaster v750, I have Seasonic gm 650, he has 1660ti, I have Sapphire rx580 4gb,he has 1x16gb hyperx, I have 2x8 gb hyperx, he has samsung evo 970 ssd, I have kingston a2000

49 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

You must not have fixxed many computers, thats exactly how you diagnose problems.

Wow, really? Looks like I lack too much..
Putting NEW parts in a PC which is NOT WORKING and you DO NOT KNOW WHY seems really logical.

-.-

54 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

But but you're a random dude in a forum, same same.

I agree on that 🙂

But there wont be only me, many others who have a good reputation (which you can easily check on their profile).

9 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Wow, really? Looks like I lack too much..
Putting NEW parts in a PC which is NOT WORKING and you DO NOT KNOW WHY seems really logical.

Ah yes that part is very correct, if that was the case, i missed that, and retract my previous statement. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

18 minutes ago, Leon_Elliot said:

We have the same CPU, 2600x

He has Asrock B350M Pro4, I have Asrock B450M Pro4f, he has coolermaster v750, I have Seasonic gm 650, he has 1660ti, I have Sapphire rx580 4gb,he has 1x16gb hyperx, I have 2x8 gb hyperx, he has samsung evo 970 ssd, I have kingston a2000

Alright, what happens if you swap just the motherboards between the two systems?

elephants