Monitor resolution ipad

If you connect an ipad to an external monitor and game then will you get the resolution as the ipad or monitor?

at least the way i've seen an iPad deal with a hdmi dongle, it just outputs the display of the ipad, and has the display then adjust it. so essentially everything you output to a 16:9 TV will be pillarboxed.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

at least the way i've seen an iPad deal with a hdmi dongle, it just outputs the display of the ipad, and has the display then adjust it. so essentially everything you output to a 16:9 TV will be pillarboxed.

Hey If ios 15 supports extended display then will it give the resolution of the ipad?

Just now, austintechtips said:

Hey If ios 15 supports extended display then will it give the resolution of the ipad?

i have no idea.

Hey if you connect an ipad to an external display and game then you would get the resolution of the ipad on the monitor but if ios 15 supports exteded display then would you

get the resolution of the monitor you are using?

5 minutes ago, austintechtips said:

then you would get the resolution of the ipad on the monitor

Only if the monitor has the same resolution. Otherwise you get the iPad's image scaled to the monitor's resolution (either scaled by the iPad or the monitor's internal scaler).

5 minutes ago, austintechtips said:

but if ios 15 supports exteded display then would you get the resolution of the monitor you are using?

Yes, provided the iPad supports that particular resolution.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, austintechtips said:

Hey if you connect an ipad to an external display and game then you would get the resolution of the ipad on the monitor but if ios 15 supports exteded display then would you

get the resolution of the monitor you are using?

If there's extended display support in iPadOS 15, then you'd likely get whatever resolution the display supports, so long as the iPad itself can handle it. I wouldn't be surprised if you still got a 4:3 view for compatibility's sake. Just remember that this would only be useful for games where you don't need touch.

Be sure to keep your expectations realistic. iPad OS 15 probably won't be the release that magically turns the iPad into an ideal laptop replacement. You'll see a few improvements in that direction, I'm sure, but not a huge overhaul.

Threads merged, please don't post duplicates.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

56 minutes ago, Commodus said:

If there's extended display support in iPadOS 15, then you'd likely get whatever resolution the display supports, so long as the iPad itself can handle it. I wouldn't be surprised if you still got a 4:3 view for compatibility's sake. Just remember that this would only be useful for games where you don't need touch.

Be sure to keep your expectations realistic. iPad OS 15 probably won't be the release that magically turns the iPad into an ideal laptop replacement. You'll see a few improvements in that direction, I'm sure, but not a huge overhaul.

I really hope that they have exteded display support because I can connect my ipad to a monitor and use it as a computer

1 hour ago, austintechtips said:

I really hope that they have exteded display support because I can connect my ipad to a monitor and use it as a computer

Having a larger screen will certainly be an advantage for some apps and also for mobile games. But, at least for now, you won't be able to use software only available for macOS and certainly no Windows software and games. So, in that sense, it is not going to replace a computer if you need that type of software.

Due to its size constraints (and thus limited cooling) I don't expect it to be on par with a Mac for apps that are available on both. That's not going to matter for office software, web browsing, watching movies and so on, but for games it might make a noticeable difference.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply