Invisible text due to differences in theme colors

Vishera
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

We do strip colours from pasted to content to stop people from accidentally making their content not work on one theme, but I don't think there's much value to be gained in stopping people from doing it deliberately, and it would take a considerable amount of work to try and lock it down.

Browser, version and OS:  Brave,Chromium 91,Windows 7/Server 2019

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Writing with font color #ffffff will make text invisible in Day Theme

Writing with font color #1d1d1d will make text invisible in Night Theme

What happened?

Text is invisible

For example:

Day Theme Invisible text: Invisible to Day Theme

Night Theme Invisible text: Invisible to Night Theme

What did you expect to happen?

Visible text

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

832175497_DesktopScreenshot2021_06.04-15_00_09_98.thumb.png.9ac6371bec6966bc3c7d3cb7ce042a5a.png

1029556595_DesktopScreenshot2021_06.04-15_00_19_42.thumb.png.a7d8d4503c3500ebd86aadfb7f36d12f.png

Any other relevant details:

None

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

This isn't really a bug nor issue now, is it? It's working as intended. If member uses text colors to hide something or otherwise be annoying, it's moderating issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah. This isn't a bug, aside from the fact that users are allowed to change text colors at all. A lot of it isn't even people trying to hide stuff. They just explicitly color the text black, for example, making it look right on their white background, not realizing it borks anyone using dark mode, or vice versa.

One potential fix, though, would be for the editor to strip white or black text colors from code, but that's hard to implement in a universal way. You might catch some of it, but not all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

14 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

This isn't really a bug nor issue now, is it?

I think that invisible text is an issue.

14 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

It's working as intended.

It doesn't seem like that (to me),since the issue doesn't exist when linking to a post from a different thread - the colors of the font are different and are readable.

This for example is suppose to be invisible to the Night Theme,yet the quote isn't invisible and perfectly readable and the color is very different from the original,

but when you go to the page of the post it will be invisible:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

It doesn't seem like that (to me),since the issue doesn't exist when linking to a post from a different thread - the colors of the font are different and are readable.

This for example is suppose to be invisible to the Night Theme,yet the quote isn't invisible and perfectly readable and the color is very different from the original,

but when you go to the page of the post it will be invisible (in Night Theme)

That's because, there, they're stripping all HTML and just giving a summary in plain text. It's not something that can work in other scenarios.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

but when you go to the page of the post it will be invisible (in Night Theme)

Still I only see the intended working of the forums. Quote box background is different color than regular body of the post. So if post is invisible in editor and/or post, but not in the quote, that's how it's supposed to work.

As for linked, that's also expected behavior. Linking gives you preview without any formatting.
Same applies to Status Updates widget on front page.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Still I only see the intended working of the forums. Quote box background is different color than regular body of the post. So if post is invisible in editor and/or post, but not in the quote, that's how it's supposed to work.

As for linked, that's also expected behavior. Linking gives you preview without any formatting.
Same applies to Status Updates widget on front page.

I think that the color range should be limited and the problem will begone.

27 minutes ago, Vishera said:

but when you go to the page of the post it will be invisible:

The text summary that appears in the embedded post links ignores any text formatting that is in the original post, which is why it is visible there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

We do strip colours from pasted to content to stop people from accidentally making their content not work on one theme, but I don't think there's much value to be gained in stopping people from doing it deliberately, and it would take a considerable amount of work to try and lock it down.

HTTP/2 203

4 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

That makes sense,

Thank you for the reply 🙂