Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3090 Constant Crashes

Hi,

TL;DR because it's a bit long:

PC freezes entirely when I launch a game after a few minutes - had been in repair twice.

I'm gonna preface this by saying I am not the biggest expert on all things component-related.

I have purchased the RTX 3090 (Gigabyte Eagle model) a few months ago and I have had consistent crashing issues with it.

My specs:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F

CPU: Intel Core i9 11900k

RAM: 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair 1200W HX1200 80+ Platinum Modular

GPU: GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3090 Eagle OC 24

Initially, the PC has had issues with bluescreens appearing on a daily basis even when idling - it was a common occurance that I'd get up from the PC for a few minutes and when I return it's back on the login screen after it had crashed and rebooted.

After sending the PC to a shop for evaluation and repair - they had concluded that my i9 10900k (since then replaced) was faulty hence I can either wait for a replacement or upgrade for a much cheaper than retail price.

In addition, they stated that the GPU was also found to be the culprit and was sent to Gigabyte for a repair.

After the GPU had returned and the CPU was replaced, I have noticed immediately that the blue screens had been replaced by sudden crashes of the entire PC, forcing it to reboot after the image freezes and the PC's audio loops

Frustrated, I returned to the shop for a repair and they sent it to Gigabyte once again only for it to return yesterday (note that each 'repair' has been 2 weeks where I used my old GTX 970 and had no issues other than low FPS)

To my surprise (or not-so-surprise anymore) it is yet again crashing in a similar manner, only this time when the PC freezes it will not reboot after a few seconds but rather remain that way until I reboot it myself.

Many leads on forums point out bad PSUs but I find it hard to believe that a new 1200W PSU cannot handle an RTX 3090 that's not even overclocked.

I'm hoping anyone here can lead me to a solution because I'm tired of not being able to use the GPU I had spent so much money on.

Thank you for reading if anyone made it this far.

… try a different PSU … I had the same thing, at "idle" ??? usually. 

Replaced Bequiet 700w with Corsair 650w, no more crashes!!!

(i have a 3070, but same principle apllies, probably)

9 minutes ago, LennyMedina said:

it hard to believe that a new 1200W PSU cannot handle

yeap, thats your mistake, not all PSUs are equal, also 1000w would be sufficient.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, LennyMedina said:

Many leads on forums point out bad PSUs but I find it hard to believe that a new 1200W PSU cannot handle an RTX 3090 that's not even overclocked.

It's not whether it can handle the load, but it may have slipped past QC.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

8 minutes ago, LennyMedina said:

bad PSUs but I find it hard to believe that a new 1200W PSU cannot handle an RTX 3090 that's not even overclocked.

It's a good PSU, but it's new as you said and it might've been broken from the start.

Another thing is - is it plugged directly into the wall? Maybe the electrical installation in your house isn't too good and causes voltage fluctuations and so on with higher power draw of your new components, and a small UPS would do the trick to stabilize that?

P.S. I would call the 11900K a sidegrade at best from the 10900K, but mostly a downgrade 😛

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Another thing is - is it plugged directly into the wall? Maybe the electrical installation in your house isn't too good and causes voltage fluctuations and so on with higher power draw of your new components, and a small UPS would do the trick to stabilize that?

Wouldn't be the first time... good call.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

4 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's a good PSU, but it's new as you said and it might've been broken from the start.

P.S. I would call the 11900K a sidegrade at best from the 10900K, but mostly a downgrade 😛

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a crash caused by a faulty PSU lead to shutdown of the entire PC's power? Whenever my PC crashes it just remains frozen indefinitely while the fans and RGB lights in the case still operate

The electrical installation in my house is apparently more than capable after asking the owner (don't remember the figures in Ampere) and I can probably try to bring a Voltmeter from my work to test my sockets specifically

Would there be any other solution that can come to mind? Is it somehow possible that it's lead by the motherboard considering the two most obvious parts have been repaired or replaced? In the shop and at Gigabyte they reported no consistent crashes

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

… try a different PSU … I had the same thing, at "idle" ??? usually. 

Replaced Bequiet 700w with Corsair 650w, no more crashes!!!

(i have a 3070, but same principle apllies, probably)

yeap, thats your mistake, not all PSUs are equal, also 1000w would be sufficient.

Was your PC still running after the supposed crash? There's no video signal, the audio loops but the fans and RGB lights continue to run as if I had just turned off my monitor (but that's not the case 100%)

1 hour ago, LennyMedina said:

Was your PC still running after the supposed crash?

Sometimes yeah, but usually no, it would just BSOD and usually something related to "power". But from what ive seen the symptoms arent always the same, and yes your psu "should" be able to handle it but it might not so its worth testing .

1 hour ago, LennyMedina said:

Would there be any other solution that can come to mind?

You could also try update mobo BIOS, and install windows fresh (in that order) Ive seen people saying that fixed "mysterious" crashes for them.

But then your next focus should really be the psu, its just the most obvious thing to try especially with how finicky those GPUs can be.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

How many different PCIE power cables are you using? Looks like that GPU can take up to 350W if it wants it. 

Your PCIE slot will deliver 75W. Each 8 pin from the PSU is rated for 150W. You should have 2 separate cables going to the PSU to be good for 375W.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

11 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

How many different PCIE power cables are you using? Looks like that GPU can take up to 350W if it wants it. 

Your PCIE slot will deliver 75W. Each 8 pin from the PSU is rated for 150W. You should have 2 separate cables going to the PSU to be good for 375W.

Okay so I've gone ahead and used two PCIE cables instead of one.

This might've been a fluke but I was able to run a game for about 30 minutes (which is about 29.5 minutes longer than usual) and I thought that this was the jackpot but unfortunately once again I got the same crash.

I'm thinking that if there's a correlatiaon then we're in the right path and a PSU replacement might be the way to go. 

I'll check with the PC shop after the weekend 🤞

12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Sometimes yeah, but usually no, it would just BSOD and usually something related to "power". But from what ive seen the symptoms arent always the same, and yes your psu "should" be able to handle it but it might not so its worth testing .

You could also try update mobo BIOS, and install windows fresh (in that order) Ive seen people saying that fixed "mysterious" crashes for them.

But then your next focus should really be the psu, its just the most obvious thing to try especially with how finicky those GPUs can be.

Forgot to note that on the 2nd time of sending the PC to the shop they did a clean installaion of Windows and that still didn't do anything.

So much for losing all my files for nothing...

37 minutes ago, LennyMedina said:

Okay so I've gone ahead and used two PCIE cables instead of one.

This might've been a fluke but I was able to run a game for about 30 minutes (which is about 29.5 minutes longer than usual) and I thought that this was the jackpot but unfortunately once again I got the same crash.

I'm thinking that if there's a correlatiaon then we're in the right path and a PSU replacement might be the way to go. 

I'll check with the PC shop after the weekend 🤞

Yeah this does seem like a defective psu. Wouldn't be the first time a psu "works" but in reality is unstable and causes other hardware instabilities.

5 hours ago, LennyMedina said:

Are you able to recreate this? Run benchmarks, see if it crashes. Let the computer idle for a while and see if it crashes? If we can find a pattern now that it'll let you play games we might be able to get a little bit farther. 

@MoonzyI remember you mentioning issues with one of the Corsair lines and 3090s, was it the HX lineup, or RMx?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

@MoonzyI remember you mentioning issues with one of the Corsair lines and 3090s, was it the HX lineup, or RMx?

It was rmx, but only if you're very close to the power limit, like 650W out of 850W

Few things op can try:

1) change to pcie gen 3

2) check VRAM temp

3) lower core and memory clocks

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

You're not going to like this, but try the Seasonic Prime TX-1000, Seasonic PX-1000, Seasonic GX-1000 (in order of price).

Make sure the box says exactly this product name.  "Prime Ultra xxxx" or "Prime Gold XXXX" is the older model that you do NOT want.

Zero issues.  Also the OneSeasonic models above do not come with daisy chained PCIE connectors.

On 5/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, jaslion said:

Yeah this does seem like a defective psu. Wouldn't be the first time a psu "works" but in reality is unstable and causes other hardware instabilities.

Wellp,

Had the PC shop give me a temporary replacement PSU to test if this really was the issue (they were skeptic that this is the PSU causing it because like I said earlier it'd make a whole lot more sense if a PSU-driven crash made the entire PC restart its power instead of essentially bluescreening but without the error code and without the prompted restart

Long story short, the crashes are still present and there seems to be no hope. 😞

Their next idea is to send the mobo with the CPU and the 3090 with it to Gigabyte to investigate why it's so unstable on my PC and relatively stable on their testing units

10 hours ago, LennyMedina said:

Wellp,

Had the PC shop give me a temporary replacement PSU to test if this really was the issue (they were skeptic that this is the PSU causing it because like I said earlier it'd make a whole lot more sense if a PSU-driven crash made the entire PC restart its power instead of essentially bluescreening but without the error code and without the prompted restart

Long story short, the crashes are still present and there seems to be no hope. 😞

Their next idea is to send the mobo with the CPU and the 3090 with it to Gigabyte to investigate why it's so unstable on my PC and relatively stable on their testing units

What temp psu?

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

What temp psu?

Antec 850W HCG - weaker than my previous but still a very capable one.

Just now, LennyMedina said:

Antec 850W HCG - weaker than my previous but still a very capable one.

Soooooo you are not going to like hearing this but. The hcg has trouble with power spiking psu's like the rtx 3000 and often shuts off and causes crashes :p.

yeah it crashes with a weaker and worse psu - to the surprise of no one.

that shop has to be really clueless.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Soooooo you are not going to like hearing this but. The hcg has trouble with power spiking psu's like the rtx 3000 and often shuts off and causes crashes :p.

this…

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 1 month later...

I've basically tried everything applicable for my new RTX3070ti from this thread: 

On 5/27/2021 at 4:51 PM, Morgan MLGman said:

This was a great idea for myself, given i run my PC from a surge protection extension cable. I could easily see how when its trying to draw power from the extension cable there's a small trough in supply as it tries to catch up from the wall. 

However I plugged my PC directly into the wall and still no dice, I get full system crashes (seems like power crashing) after a few minutes of gaming. Anyone got any other ideas? I've seen another thread where someone had to RMA and they manufacturer (or store i dont quite remember) told them it was definitely defective. I've emailed ASUS for support, hopefully they can help otherwise i'm going to have to RMA, still within 14day period from store i bought it until July 6th.

PC Config for anyone who see this later:

i7-7700k (OC'd to 4.8 Ghz, have tried disabling no effect)

2x8Gb DDR4-3200 Corsair LPX RAM (XMP Enabled, Have tried disabling no effect)

ASUS Tuf gaming OC RTX 3070ti (Previously Gigabyte windforce 970).

Gigabyte Z270 DS3-H Mobo

Corsair CX850M 850W PSU (2016 version before anyone says its the "bad one")

On 5/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, LennyMedina said:

Hi,

TL;DR because it's a bit long:

PC freezes entirely when I launch a game after a few minutes - had been in repair twice.

I'm gonna preface this by saying I am not the biggest expert on all things component-related.

I have purchased the RTX 3090 (Gigabyte Eagle model) a few months ago and I have had consistent crashing issues with it.

My specs:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F

CPU: Intel Core i9 11900k

RAM: 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair 1200W HX1200 80+ Platinum Modular

GPU: GeForce Gigabyte RTX 3090 Eagle OC 24

Initially, the PC has had issues with bluescreens appearing on a daily basis even when idling - it was a common occurance that I'd get up from the PC for a few minutes and when I return it's back on the login screen after it had crashed and rebooted.

After sending the PC to a shop for evaluation and repair - they had concluded that my i9 10900k (since then replaced) was faulty hence I can either wait for a replacement or upgrade for a much cheaper than retail price.

In addition, they stated that the GPU was also found to be the culprit and was sent to Gigabyte for a repair.

After the GPU had returned and the CPU was replaced, I have noticed immediately that the blue screens had been replaced by sudden crashes of the entire PC, forcing it to reboot after the image freezes and the PC's audio loops

Frustrated, I returned to the shop for a repair and they sent it to Gigabyte once again only for it to return yesterday (note that each 'repair' has been 2 weeks where I used my old GTX 970 and had no issues other than low FPS)

To my surprise (or not-so-surprise anymore) it is yet again crashing in a similar manner, only this time when the PC freezes it will not reboot after a few seconds but rather remain that way until I reboot it myself.

I'm hoping anyone here can lead me to a solution because I'm tired of not being able to use the GPU I had spent so much money on.

Thank you for reading if anyone made it this far.

6 sigma is not infinite sigma. No product is safe from the chance of manufacturing defects.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

6 sigma is not infinite sigma. No product is safe from the chance of manufacturing defects.

Tbf, the "store" OP mentions doesnt  help matters, i mean he asked and probably paid them, they should have been able to fix the issue no doubt, but they didnt even make a backup of his data when they reinstalled windows… amateur hour lol (no good shop would do this) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity