Considering a Wireless Mechanical Keyboard - Help/Suggestions?

CT854

I'm in the market for a new keyboard. My current keyboard is a crusty Logitech wireless membrane keyboard I picked up from Office Depot for $20 about 5 years back, whose arrow and numpad keys stick and stiffen up because I spilled a mixed drink on it once. Pain.

I've been considering a mechanical keyboard since I've been in the habit of splurging for tech now that I actually have disposable income, but it turns out that my requirements are pretty difficult to meet for a reasonable price. I'm also not entirely sure of what I actually want, so I'd appreciate some help in this arena.

What I (think I) want out of a keyboard are as follows:

• The keyboard must be wireless - this is non-negotiable, wires are the bane of my existence and I like being able to put my keyboard on my lap while I lean back into my chair - preferably rechargable instead of being battery powered.
  • I need to have a tenkey. This is also non-negotaible since I'm so used to having one at all times. However, I'm flexible as to whether the tenkey comes on the board itself, or if I can get a wireless mechanical tenkey pad separate and on the side.
  • think I'd like a switch that's tactile - I don't like the idea of totally linear switch, but I also don't want to have to try too hard to click down to type.
  • I'd like to be able to have hotswappable switches, and I really want to be able to customize my keycaps in the future, though I think the latter is just kind of a perk that comes with having a mechanical keyboard?
  • RGB/backlights are a plus, but not necessary

I've been eyeing Keychron's K8 keyboard with brown switches as sorta my dream keyboard, but I'd also need to have an accompanying wireless mechanical tenkey board and I'm having trouble seeing if I'd be able to acquire one. Does anyone have any recommendations for either a wireless mechanical tenkey, or a full sized wireless mechanical board that meets the above criteria? I'd say my budget would ideally stay below $150, but I'd be willing to go up to $200 if I find the right solution.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

27 minutes ago, CT854 said:

I'm in the market for a new keyboard. My current keyboard is a crusty Logitech wireless membrane keyboard I picked up from Office Depot for $20 about 5 years back, whose arrow and numpad keys stick and stiffen up because I spilled a mixed drink on it once. Pain.

I've been considering a mechanical keyboard since I've been in the habit of splurging for tech now that I actually have disposable income, but it turns out that my requirements are pretty difficult to meet for a reasonable price. I'm also not entirely sure of what I actually want, so I'd appreciate some help in this arena.

What I (think I) want out of a keyboard are as follows:

• The keyboard must be wireless - this is non-negotiable, wires are the bane of my existence and I like being able to put my keyboard on my lap while I lean back into my chair - preferably rechargable instead of being battery powered.
  • I need to have a tenkey. This is also non-negotaible since I'm so used to having one at all times. However, I'm flexible as to whether the tenkey comes on the board itself, or if I can get a wireless mechanical tenkey pad separate and on the side.
  • think I'd like a switch that's tactile - I don't like the idea of totally linear switch, but I also don't want to have to try too hard to click down to type.
  • I'd like to be able to have hotswappable switches, and I really want to be able to customize my keycaps in the future, though I think the latter is just kind of a perk that comes with having a mechanical keyboard?
  • RGB/backlights are a plus, but not necessary

I've been eyeing Keychron's K8 keyboard with brown switches as sorta my dream keyboard, but I'd also need to have an accompanying wireless mechanical tenkey board and I'm having trouble seeing if I'd be able to acquire one. Does anyone have any recommendations for either a wireless mechanical tenkey, or a full sized wireless mechanical board that meets the above criteria? I'd say my budget would ideally stay below $150, but I'd be willing to go up to $200 if I find the right solution.

How does this look? 
Edit: Not sure if its tactile, I will check.
It says its linear.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07796MBJ7/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_mr

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

3 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

I've considered Logitech's keyboards, but I feel hesitant because of their proprietary switches. Are the switches hotswappable, or are they soldered onto the keyboard? From what I've seen they're soldered on so while I'd still consider it, I consider that to be a pretty big strike against it.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

How about the Keychron K4? It's out of stock on Keychron's website, but the white backlight and the RGB backlight aluminium versions are in stock on Amazon. It's a 96-key layout, rather than full size, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Swappable-Mechanical-Bluetooth-Gamer-Version/dp/B08LR9CJCJ/

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Swappable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Bluetooth/dp/B08LSDLHLD/

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Swappable-Mechanical-Bluetooth-PC-Version/dp/B08LSQXKMN/

You can swap the keycaps, however be aware that not all will be compatible and work without issues. The navigation keys are all on the top row, there are 1u wide keys right of the space bar, and there is a 1u numpad 0. Also, since the switches are north facing, there may be some interference issues with thick Cherry profile keycaps, like GMK keycaps.

54 minutes ago, CT854 said:

I've considered Logitech's keyboards, but I feel hesitant because of their proprietary switches. Are the switches hotswappable, or are they soldered onto the keyboard? From what I've seen they're soldered on so while I'd still consider it, I consider that to be a pretty big strike against it.

They are soldered. And even if they were hot swap, you couldn't replace them with other, decent, switches, as the pins are in different locations.

Edited by seon123
:blobCatDerp:

:)

16 minutes ago, seon123 said:

How about the Keychron K4? It's out of stock on Keychron's website, but the white backlight and the RGB backlight aluminium versions are in stock. It's a 96-key layout, rather than full size, though.

I saw this, and it's intriguing. It ticks a lot of boxes, but I'm not a huge fan of the compact design. I also have a minor superstitious aversion to the number 4, but that's ultimately a small consideration. I'll keep it in mind.

I'm also interested to see if there are any standalone tenkeys that could pair with a K8. That solution vs. a K4 are probably in top consideration right now.

Bumping this to see if anyone has any recommendations for hotswappable mechanical wireless tenkeys.

The Keychron K4 and Royal Kludge RK100 are the only boards I'm aware of that meets all of your needs, and they're both compact layouts. There's not really much of a market for full size wireless keyboards, and even in general enthusiasts have been going toward smaller and smaller layouts.

15 hours ago, iovey said:

The Keychron K4 and Royal Kludge RK100 are the only boards I'm aware of that meets all of your needs, and they're both compact layouts. There's not really much of a market for full size wireless keyboards, and even in general enthusiasts have been going toward smaller and smaller layouts.

That's unfortunate. I both understand and don't understand this move to smaller and more compact keyboard layouts, but I don't really like it very much. Oh well.

I'm still looking for recommendations on dedicated wireless mechanical tenkeys, honestly hot swappable or not.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, CT854 said:

That's unfortunate. I both understand and don't understand this move to smaller and more compact keyboard layouts, but I don't really like it very much. Oh well.

I'm still looking for recommendations on dedicated wireless mechanical tenkeys, honestly hot swappable or not.

I was skeptical as well when came to anything other than a full size layout. I'm glad i went with a 96% layout and QMK made it very usable for me.  This is coming for someone that required dedicated media and calculator keys that Ducky provided.