Teacher looking for some help

Michcli

Hi all I am a middle school teacher looking to design a progress tracking app for students to use. 
I have done some web page design back in the day and am reasonably computer literate (run IT in my school) but have not really had any programming experience outside teaching programming basics and robotics in the classroom. 
Does anyone have any ideas where I could start am looking to create an expanding tree branch format. the idea is that a teacher could use it and share the information with students and parents so web based would be most likley as it could run cross platform.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Thanks I have had a look, the problem is its buisness focused I am looking to create something just for studetns (11-15 years old) and teachers. 

It sounds a bit like you want something like a project management app,  that will show progress of tasks etc.    I am only guessing what you want, so not sure whether this will help.  This gives a list of various project management applications.

Have a look here https://project-management.com/open-source-project-management/

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... which may, or may not be actually worth 2c}

Unfortunately what is in my (our) head is probably not matching what is in yours.     Can you describe a bit more about what you want the students to be able to do,   and what you want teachers and parents to be able to do?

There is also class management software,  which might be useful to you.   https://opensource.com/article/20/7/open-source-teachers

{GoofyOne}

Thanks for the Links Goofy, 

Trying not to use education speak (sorry bad teacher habit) I am trying to create a something like what would be project managment software. Where a Teacher would create a specific set of tasks (which would be learning goals that needed to be completed over a set amount of time) as a rubric. the students would then be able to see these tasks and upload evidence of how they have completed them, like a photo or a web link for example. Parents would only be able to view their childs specific task sheet. the idea would be that studetns could see all the requirments of a semesters topic and they could work through them either following the teacher or at their own pace. the Teacher would then be able to check work and mark it as completed or not. 

There is a possibility I am severly overextending myself. at this stage I have a seperate google sheet for each student which I share with them showing their progress but students are either not interested or can find it a bit to overwhelming and I am trying to create a better solution. 

Wouldn't a simple web shared drive with 1 folder for the projects to do with related documentation be enough ?

I mean you have a structure like the following. All you need to do is give readonly on the projects folder for everyone and you give view/read/write access to each student login to their own folder so they only see 2 root folders (Project and their student name one)

- Projects

|---- 1 - Project X

|      |---- Document A

|      |---- Document B

|

|---- 2 - Project Y

|      |---- Document A

|      |---- Document B

-Students

|---- Student A

|     |---- Project X

|     |---- Project Y

|

|---- Student B

|     |---- Project X

|

|---- Student C

|     |---- Project X

I think what you're looking for is called Moodle. They have a demo here where you can pick a role of teacher, student, parent etc. It's pretty much how you describe. 

Students can upload work, teachers can mark/give feedback, parents can view a students progress and work etc. It even works in that structure.