Thoroughness of return inspection

Hey guys made an account specifically to post this. Let's say my friend(friend A) bought a creator pc with a nice 3090 in it.

Let's also say another friend(friend B) has the same 3090, but he water-cooled his and friend B's card developed a coil whine.

If friend A was returning his PC within the return period do you think NZXT would notice if friend B's card got put in friend A's housing and case and returned like that? Both cards work fine, friend B is just trying to get rid of the coil whine.

They have serial numbers and barcodes, yeah they would probably catch that.

So you want to return your GPU because its coil whining, and your friend is sending his back. It's fairly certain that due to the scalping NZXT will be keeping track of serial numbers for GPU's and ensuring that the correct one is returned. So I would strongly suggest you don't attempt this as it is illegal. 

Aren't they only on the actual case/cooling part of the card? Would switching just the physical  board be noticeable?

Well since it means removing the block and putting back the original cooler it'll be obvious the card was tampered with and the "warranty void" stickers will be gone.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

While the GPUs might be technically identical they're still different units with different serial numbers. I wouldn't do that if I were you. It's not the worst thing you could do with a computer return, but it's not great either. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

It just sucks waiting so long for a card, building water-cooled to keep it quiet, then boom coil whine. Friend B is big sad, I would obviously never attempt something of this nature.

I would certainly not take the risk of waterblocking a GPU right now, if I wanted a watercooled one I'd buy one that's blocked out of the box... if couldn't find one then run it on air until the situation gets back to normal. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Too late for that now lol, I also thought about giving him the money he spent as parting it out might come close back to that price, just to eliminate the noise.

I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed they keep track of serial numbers when it comes to $1500 or more cards.  Do they actually check the serial numbers of returns if everything's working?  

Might wanna shoot NZXT an email explaining the situation to be sure. 🤔

That's return fraud.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

This is straight up fraud.

That said I doubt they will be checking serial numbers on a video card inside a pre-built. Unless something looks wrong to them.

5 hours ago, I Need Some Help said:

If friend A was returning his PC within the return period do you think NZXT would notice if friend B's card got put in friend A's housing and case and returned like that? Both cards work fine, friend B is just trying to get rid of the coil whine.

This is commonly referred to as Fraud.

Not recommended. Don't do it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER