Corsair CV550

Balazs98

Is the Corsair CV550 enough for the RX 570 Sapphire Pulse. 

If I start any game my PC just shid down what can be the problem. The PSU I use is 420W.

23 minutes ago, Balazs98 said:

Is the Corsair CV550 enough for the RX 570 Sapphire Pulse. 

Yes.

24 minutes ago, Balazs98 said:

If I start any game my PC just shid down what can be the problem. The PSU I use is 420W.

What is the model of your 420W PSU? Can you post a photo of the label on the PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

22 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yes.

What is the model of your 420W PSU? Can you post a photo of the label on the PSU.

IMG_20210516_133829.jpg

Ah, yeah. That's not really a 420W PSU. That would explain why you were having issues with it.

Computers draw most of their power from the 12V rail. That PSU claims to only be able to output a maximum of 15A on the 12V rail, which is 180W. Though it's a garbage PSU so you can't trust the label to be telling the truth. I'm also guessing the PSU didn't have the 8pin PCIe cable needed to plug in the RX 570 either.

The RX 570 Sapphire Pulse will draw around 150-160W from 12V, which is close to the maximum that PSU claims to be able to output. Once you add your CPU, motherboard, drives, fans, other stuff you will be exceeding the supposed 180W limit the PSU can output on 12V.

In comparison the Corsair CV550 can provide 44A on the 12V rail, or 528W. More than enough to power the 150-160W RX 570.

image.png.40faf31d29ae5a01fecff69e5795e998.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

CV550, while enough, is very low quality. It uses Double Forward topology and Group Regulation. Info about those https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1158795-topologies-and-regulations-what-should-i-look-for/ here and https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1122694-why-group-regulated-units-shouldnt-be-boughtsold-in-2019-and-on/ here. OPP and OCP are set incorrectly, has a sleeve bearing fan, and uses low quality capacitors. I would suggest getting a better unit.

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Ah, yeah. That's not really a 420W PSU. That would explain why you were having issues with it.

Computers draw most of their power from the 12V rail. That PSU claims to only be able to output a maximum of 15A on the 12V rail, which is 180W. Though it's a garbage PSU so you can't trust the label to be telling the truth. I'm also guessing the PSU didn't have the 8pin PCIe cable needed to plug in the RX 570 either.

The RX 570 Sapphire Pulse will draw around 150-160W from 12V, which is close to the maximum that PSU claims to be able to output. Once you add your CPU, motherboard, drives, fans, other stuff you will be exceeding the supposed 180W limit the PSU can output on 12V.

In comparison the Corsair CV550 can provide 44A on the 12V rail, or 528W. More than enough to power the 150-160W RX 570.

So you say the CV550 will be enough ?

2 hours ago, insecure tiger said:

OPP and OCP are set incorrectly

While the CV550 is a group regulated unit. It doesn't really have any issues outside of the typical group regulation issues with no UVP on the 12v rail. 

Not aware of any issues related to OCP/OPP on the CV450/550 and VS greylabel PSUs. 

2 hours ago, Balazs98 said:

So you say the CV550 will be enough ?

Its plenty wattage wise. Unless you are very budget limited id encourage trying to find a non-group regulated unit, but among group regulated units, the CV550/450 is decidedly among the best. 

(Tho group regulated units arent good). 

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Not aware of any issues related to OCP/OPP on the CV450/550 and VS greylabel PSUs. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs450-power-supply,6076-3.html

>The 5V rail cannot deliver its nominal power since the overcurrent protection (OCP) is set at 16A, while theoretically, at least, this rail can deliver up to 20A.

The overpower protection (OPP) is set too high, allowing the 12V rail to drop as low as 11.16V. We had to abort this test else the PSU would break. Usually the first sign before an imminent failure are the bottom low voltages. Finally, the power ok signal is lower than 16ms but it is accurate, which is what matters the most.

2 minutes ago, insecure tiger said:

The overpower protection (OPP) is set too high, allowing the 12V rail to drop as low as 11.16V. We had to abort this test else the PSU would break. Usually the first sign before an imminent failure are the bottom low voltages.

Right.  Because everyone pushes their 450W PSU to over 575W.

I like how you took that completely out of context from a review that's titled "Affordable and Reliable".  LOL!

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

So this is a non-issue, okay. The other points still matter though, right?

16 minutes ago, insecure tiger said:

So this is a non-issue, okay. The other points still matter though, right?

The sleeve bearing fan?  Yeah.  I hate sleeve bearing fans.  Teapo 85°C bulk cap is kind of a cost cutter, but I haven't seen/heard of any of them blowing up (yet).  It's kind of off to the corner by itself, so it shouldn't get too hot.

34 minutes ago, insecure tiger said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs450-power-supply,6076-3.html

>The 5V rail cannot deliver its nominal power since the overcurrent protection (OCP) is set at 16A, while theoretically, at least, this rail can deliver up to 20A.

The overpower protection (OPP) is set too high, allowing the 12V rail to drop as low as 11.16V. We had to abort this test else the PSU would break. Usually the first sign before an imminent failure are the bottom low voltages. Finally, the power ok signal is lower than 16ms but it is accurate, which is what matters the most.

looking at this its a non-issue combined with typical lack of UVP on 12v rail for Group regulated units. Also the regular issues of voltage control for group regulated units. 

then again, its kinda like the Straight Power 11 Platinum with its OCP on the 12v rail. which is set at a sky high 200%, but it can output that, so really they should just change what the label says for each rail. 

again, in no circumstanses is the CV and VS good PSUs, but that there is a non-issue as far as OCP goes, and typical behavior for group regulated units, and the reason why id avoid them. 

Id like to add that the CV450 and CV550 are very old platforms.  Remember:  This was VS (NOT the orange label) upgraded to Bronze.  This is both good and bad.  Bad in that it uses an older double forward, group regulated platform, which means it doesn't like the fast switching required for today's high end graphics cards and doesn't support all of the deep sleep states.

The good news is the platform is so mature that if there were any issues, they would've been weeded out by now.  Making it more efficient would actually increase it's longevity since it's generating more heat.

Full disclosure: This thing pre-dates my being on Corsair's R&D team, but I was there when they upgraded it to Bronze and could tell you every part that was swapped out to accomplish that.  

I would say that I wouldn't use this PSU.  But then again, I'm running a RX 5700 XT and I'm about to swap that out for an RTX 3080.... so I'm not the target audience.  😄 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Not to beat a dead horse which this old group reg is but it should've tripped then if it can't deliver 575W, not going out of spec.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Not to beat a dead horse which this old group reg is but it should've tripped then if it can't deliver 575W, not going out of spec.

Corsair does it's own OPP tests and we never had one blow up.  But it is concerning that the voltage did drop that much during that test.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Corsair does it's own OPP tests and we never had one blow up.  But it is concerning that the voltage did drop that much during that test.

Yeah, by 'can't deliver' i'm talking about delivering in specifications.

I'm looking for the original OPP tests now.  

EDIT: Doh!  Too old.  I found where they tested it with a 1000W+ load and it shut down immediately.  LOL!

Also, that's ladies and gentleman, is exactly why we shouldn't trust a PSU by any brand if there are no reviews on it. If Corsair couldn't catch this issue with their relatively robust engineering team, trusting stuff like say, most of current EVGA's lineup where they grab whatever Andyson is offering them is out of question.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, Spotty said:

I bought the CV550 and I still have that shid down problem 😕 why ?

18 minutes ago, Balazs98 said:

I bought the CV550 and I still have that shid down problem 😕 why ?

And this build used to work before?  Nothing's changed?

Nothing just the graphics card 

1 hour ago, Balazs98 said:

Nothing just the graphics card 

So you got a bad graphics card?