What do you guys think about mining/cyrpto?

What are your guys' feeling toward mining and crypto? Just wondering what the general public thinks here...

If you got the graphics card, it's the closest thing to a money printer that exists. Pretty cool, all you have to do is click a few buttons and you make money.

as someone who cares about the environment quite a bit, it's a waste of power. 

before someone points it out, yes the pc i have uses quite a bit of power, but i almost never use it. my macbook is used 90% of the time i wanna use a computer

She/Her

17 minutes ago, char3327 said:

What are your guys' feeling toward mining and crypto? Just wondering what the general public thinks here...

im on the fence about it, on one hand, I like the idea of crypto, but because of it's impact on the market and the enviornment, imo its a grey area

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

16 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

im on the fence about it, on one hand, I like the idea of crypto, but because of it's impact on the market and the enviornment, imo its a grey area

not all crypto has a impact.

XCH uses no poewr to farm, just how much it takes to idle, some take non at all, like any pos coins.

It uses power, sure, but less than what id be doing on it anyways.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

It's a polarising topic. It's important to separate mining from crypto. While they are connected, they are not equal. There are definitely concerns about the energy usage of e.g. Bitcoin mining, but there are multiple other coins that don't require mining at all. Ethereum is also moving away from mining. I think it's fine for people to mine for "home use", which I think was also more or less the intended way. Naturally, since it's so profitable, mining farms will pop up. The best thing besides stopping mining is to do it on renewables if we have the option.

Crypto on the other hand I like. It's interesting to see all the different projects deal with different things and I like the decentralised aspect of it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

11 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

XCH uses no poewr to farm, just how much it takes to idle, some take non at all, like any pos coins.

That's the theory, but in practice it seems to come out almost as bad.

You need power to plot, then once that's done you should be able to farm with little power use... But since the network keeps growing if you don't keep plotting then your gains will come down to nothing quick enough.

As usual with every coin the more resources are thrown at it the less efficient they become... 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

i persoannly like the idea of crypto as a currnecy as opposed to normal bank controlled currencies, but the impact of mining is pretty bad.

i personally farm XCH though, so i guess i'm a bit of a hypocrite on that end.

I'm farming XCH as well becasue when I tallied up my unused storage 2 weeks ago I found out I had quite a lot of it and that I might as well fill it and it could give me a block every 2 weeks or so... but the network has grown so much since and will more until I've plotted everything that it'll probably end up being a waste of time (and energy running 3 PCs 24/7 for 3 weeks)...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I'm farming XCH as well becasue when I tallied up my unused storage 2 weeks ago I found out I had quite a lot of it and that I might as well fill it and it could give me a block every 2 weeks or so... but the network has grown so much since and will more until I've plotted everything that it'll probably end up being a waste of time (and energy running 3 PCs 24/7 for 3 weeks)...

Lol.

I'm not using any more power than normal really. 

Usually I'd just have it on running a mc server anywys, when gpu mining at the same time, so I just set the priority for chia to low and I'm fine.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I think I've said it before but it's a cool hobby. 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3