Intel released their 11th Gen Tiger Lake CPU for gaming, "i5 beats Ryzen 9"

Zmimgo
Go to solution Solved by Zmimgo,
1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

OK - Now that I'm kinda straight here....
I can't believe it with all the links in the opening post that goes only to Intel posts with the exception of one.
Marketing PR for sure here.

All the links are to Intel because that's everything you need to know for now. No one outside of Intel has them, or they are comapnies such as MSI and ASUS, who aren't allowed to leak or talk about the processors. And nothing would change even if I got the information from tech websites, such as The Verge (Article by The Verge), since they either know as little as we do, or they don't know anything about the new processors. Everything we can go from is Intels official documents.

This forum post isn't to paint Intel in a favorable light, it's just a little news article that says what Intel released. I am not saying that any of this is true, personally I actually believe that AMD still will be king in the notebook market, but that does not mean that I am an AMD fanboy. I often reply to posts on the PCPP forum, and my job is to recommend people what the best configuration would be, not say that everything AMD does is bad and Intel is the lord and savior.

(also if you read the story more carefully you would know that the last link points to Intel Chinas Douyin video)

Summary

Intel released their 11th Gen Tiger Lake H-series and their vPro H-series CPUs. CPUs on the 11th May. They are based on their 10nm SuperFin architecture.

Quotes

The new 11th Generation Intel® Core™ H-series mobile processors (code-named “Tiger Lake-H”) launched worldwide today, led by the flagship Intel® Core™ i9-11980HK — the “World’s Best Gaming Laptop Processor.”1 The Intel Core i9-11980HK delivers the highest-performance2 in laptops for gaming, content creators and business professionals reaching speeds of up to 5.0 gigahertz (GHz).

[...]

Extending the performance momentum established by the 11th Gen Intel Core H35 series, the 11th Gen Intel H-series processors, based on 10 nanometer SuperFin process technology, feature up to 8 cores and 16 threads, with single and dual-core turbo performance up to 5.0GHz. Additionally, the central processing unit (CPU) can directly access high-speed GDDR6 memory attached to the graphics card, enabling gamers to experience higher framerates with lower latency, and load large textures faster. The mobile processor offers 2.5 times the total PCIe bandwidth to the CPU compared with the 10th Gen H-series processors, and three times the total PCIe bandwidth compared with other industry processors.

New platform features also include:

20 PCIe Gen 4.0 lanes with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology bootable in Raid 0 — and up to 44 total PCIe lanes that include 24 PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes from a dedicated platform controller hub.

Memory support up to DDR4-3200.

Thunderbolt™ 4 with transfer speeds up to 40Gbps.

Discrete Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi 6E (Gig+).

Dual Embedded Display Port integrated for power optimized companion display.

Here are the new processors:

"Consumer Mobile Processors":

Core i9-11980HK

Core i9-11900H

Core i7-11800H

Core i5-11400H

Core i5-11260H

"Commercial Mobile Processors" (with SIPP, vPro and TXT):

Xeon W-11955M

Core i9-11950H

Xeon W-11855M

Core i7-11850H

Core i5-11500H

My thoughts

I'm going to leave this one to you guys. All the files will be in the "Sources" part.

I will be completly honest with you guys here. I did not know that this even existed before I saw a TikTok in the chinese app Douyin (@947382643). AMD seems to be winning in China, not only because of Ryzen, but also because of their marketing. They even sponsored a chinese artist called Ele Yan (which made me laugh the day I saw it). Everything you see on the Intel Douyin account is just people saying AMD YES.

Honestly, looking at the Intel presentation vs the 5900HX, it actually seems promising. I know that those numbers might be cherry picked, but if they can gain a maximum of 26% perforamnce boost in Grid 2019, I would assume that Intel would at least be able to compete with AMD. But the 16th slide really blew me away. A i5 trading blows with an R9 5900HS? That just seems wrong to me.
Considoring the recent things Intel has done to say "hey, Intel is better than Apple Silicon", I wouldn't be shocked if the new processors wasn't that great, but defintaly something to look forward to.  

Also worth noting is that in the chinese Douyin, Intel China did talk about the iGPU, but who would use that in a gaming laptop?

Sources

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/11th-gen-core-mobile-h.html#gs.0mua8z

https://download.intel.com/newsroom/2021/client-computing/11th-gen-h-series-press-deck.pdf

https://download.intel.com/newsroom/2021/client-computing/11th-gen-intel-core-h-series-product-brief.pdf

https://download.intel.com/newsroom/2021/client-computing/tgl-u-h-platform-brief.pdf

oh and also the chinese douyin: https://v.douyin.com/eUtyjjW/

1 minute ago, Zongohihello said:

A i5 trading blows with an R9 5900HS?

image.jpeg.710f0d0f4b6833380107097de14433ca.jpeg

i bet theres some stuff goign on here like everything that intel has dont with benchmarks with AMD laptops before.

theres no way a 6 core can beat a 8.

ah. I dont see any synthetics here. Wonder why.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

EDITED to remove erroneous info.

Sorry about that.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

Ryzen 9 is of the older 3 series, not the newest 5 series.
Can't beat the last gen with their brandnew stuff.
What a joke.

image.thumb.png.a9ce084d2d238ad42afbf438dd5a3456.png

???

Just now, Beerzerker said:

Ryzen 9 is of the older 3 series, not the newest 5 series.
Can't beat the last gen with their brandnew stuff.
What a joke.

the did test it against a 5900h, which is a zen 3 cpu. 3000 series ryzen used zen 2, 5000 series ryzen uses zen 3.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Are there any benchmarks?

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

I think it'll be an uphill task either way.

I actually have a Tiger Lake laptop right now, a 28W quad-core 1135G7, so nowhere near the potential of the 45W 6/8 cores. It's actually a more capable processor than many realize for daily use but the reason why I said uphill task is because Ryzen has been the champ in the higher-performance segment for a good while, and whilst 10nm SF amongst all the other stuff are nice upgrades, this isn't the gen where they'll overtake Ryzen as a whole, but at the very least will not be that far behind.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

the did test it against a 5900h, which is a zen 3 cpu. 3000 series ryzen used zen 2, 5000 series ryzen uses zen 3.

EDITED to correct erroneous info.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Part of the thread title says "Ryzen 9" so I had to go with that.

Did you read the forum post?

Part of the thread title says "Ryzen 9" so I had to go with that.

that 5900h is a ryzen 9....... there are zen 3 bassed ryzen 9 cpus, did you not know that?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

that 5900h is a ryzen 9....... there are zen 3 bassed ryzen 9 cpus, did you not know that?

You are correct - And I must correct myself. 😬
There is a Ryzen 9 of that series....
I've gotten them mixed up before.

Yet I still don't believe all the hype.

3 minutes ago, Zongohihello said:

EDIT: Just noting, these are first-party benchmarks. Don't believe them to be totally accurate

Yeah I was looking for Geekbench and other benchmarks people use. Tack ändå :).

Just now, TheReal1980 said:

Yeah I was looking for Geekbench and other benchmarks people use. Tack ändå :).

yep. only vauge 1st party  gaming benchmarks. no synthetics.

and theres little information about things like the ram config. for all we know the ram on the amd one could be 2133mhz. it only lists the configurations for the intel ones in the apendix.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm not sure what magic they're pulling behind the scenes, but if they can't even beat AMD on desktop with unlimited power, not sure how they can do it on mobile under power and thermal constraints. I didn't see anything that necessarily stood out in the system config, although running on a unreleased pre-production model means you can't count on actually released products performing anywhere near the same.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I can't believe it with all the links in the opening post that goes only to Intel posts with the exception of one.

Wait, why did they measure it against the AMD processor? They were going against Apple before? Don't tell me the 11980HK is slower than the M1? I am sure it is for testing on Windows, but still...

20 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

Wait, why did they measure it against the AMD processor? They were going against Apple before? Don't tell me the 11980HK is slower than the M1? I am sure it is for testing on Windows, but still...

m1 needs a synthetic, which meants that there would be more than gaming numbers, which meants that they would have to give more information. DOnt you see the problem with m1 testing?

/s

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

if they can't even beat AMD on desktop with unlimited power, not sure how they can do it on mobile under power and thermal constraints

The mobile CPUs are far more advanced than their desktop offerings. Tiger Lake has both architecture and process advantages over Rocket Lake, giving it at least a generation advantage.

18 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

Might be because of processor positioning. The earlier Tiger Lake processors were lower power limit and targeted at the smaller lighter end of the mobile market. These new Tiger Lake CPUs have a higher power budget and are for bigger form factor and performance uses.

Semi-related: With both nvidia annoucing the x50 series mobile Ampere GPUs, and Tiger Lake-H, the gaming laptop space is getting pretty interesting. However one of the Lenovo Legion 5 models has caught my eye. It pairs a 5800H with a 3070, for £1300 which isn't bad for that GPU level. CPU matters far less in mobile gaming than GPU and that balance has always felt off to me in the past.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

The mobile CPUs are far more advanced than their desktop offerings. Tiger Lake has both architecture and process advantages over Rocket Lake, giving it at least a generation advantage.

Granted, but I'm still not buying it. The other thing not covered in the deck is battery. That 26% uplift doesn't look so hot if the laptop dies in 30 minutes. We'll just have to see when actual reviewers get their hands on it.

It's entirely possible that there's a significant bump in performance, and maybe they even do beat out the Ryzen chips, but I'd be completely shocked if it's really by this much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

This one I don't fully understand...

csm_002280_a7be40795a.jpg

Compared to Ryzen 5900HX

Video creation workflow: 18% faster

Photo processing: 24% faster

MS Office Productivity Workflow: 19% faster

My question is, what does this even mean? Photo processing +24% compared to the 5900HX.... doing WHAT exactly? This seems so vague... 

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

All the links are to Intel because that's everything you need to know for now. No one outside of Intel has them, or they are comapnies such as MSI and ASUS, who aren't allowed to leak or talk about the processors. And nothing would change even if I got the information from tech websites, such as The Verge (Article by The Verge), since they either know as little as we do, or they don't know anything about the new processors. Everything we can go from is Intels official documents.

This forum post isn't to paint Intel in a favorable light, it's just a little news article that says what Intel released. I am not saying that any of this is true, personally I actually believe that AMD still will be king in the notebook market, but that does not mean that I am an AMD fanboy. I often reply to posts on the PCPP forum, and my job is to recommend people what the best configuration would be, not say that everything AMD does is bad and Intel is the lord and savior.

(also if you read the story more carefully you would know that the last link points to Intel Chinas Douyin video)

35 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

This one I don't fully understand...

csm_002280_a7be40795a.jpg

Compared to Ryzen 5900HX

Video creation workflow: 18% faster

Photo processing: 24% faster

MS Office Productivity Workflow: 19% faster

My question is, what does this even mean? Photo processing +24% compared to the 5900HX.... doing WHAT exactly? This seems so vague... 

"MS Office Productivity Workflow"

Shows Google Sheets

This is what the footnotes say:

image.png.eb288e63f7fca7605c12c077b5ecc2e8.png

EDIT: It's still not clear what it means, but some information is better than none

1 minute ago, Zongohihello said:

"MS Office Productivity Workflow"

Shows Google Sheets

This is what the footnotes say:

image.png.eb288e63f7fca7605c12c077b5ecc2e8.png

That is interesting. Well, I guess we all have to wait and see.