What the heck just happened? (PC up in smoke!)

WaitDontSh00t
Just now, jonnyGURU said:

WHERE was the PSU smoking from?  Inside or one of the connectors on the modular board?

It was smoking from the actual PSU and then inside from the motherboard, coming out from the GPU slots. I wasn't able to tell if it was coming from anywhere else since  I rushed to shut everything down.

3 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

It was smoking from the actual PSU and then inside from the motherboard, coming out from the GPU slots. I wasn't able to tell if it was coming from anywhere else since  I rushed to shut everything down.

Ok.  You need to take everything apart and assess the damage.  Like where in the GPU slots the smoke was coming from, etc.  See if there's corresponding burn marks on the graphics card.  Post photos if possible.

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  You need to take everything apart and assess the damage.  Like where in the GPU slots the smoke was coming from, etc.  See if there's corresponding burn marks on the graphics card.  Post photos if possible.

Okay. I will do that and post updates when I can. Thanks

Ok that could be something to explore.  Brand new CLC can still leak due to QC faults.  Not infrequently the liquid lands on pci-e ports on the motherboard causing shorts.  

It’s hard to tell from these photos: did you find any signs of spilled cooling liquid?

For those playing along at home, looks like it was the graphics card.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

For those playing along at home, looks like it was the graphics card.

Yeah.  I see the discoloration on the cooler.  The graphics card flared.