HP omen can't swap gpus

evilmeister13

I bought an HP omen 30L to get the RTX 3080 in it. Figured I would put the 3080 in my system, then put my radeon vii in the HP and give it to my brother. For some reason, it just refuses to display anything. My monitor turns on, but it won't show the bios nor load into windows. Same thing with gtx 680 and rtx 2060. When I put the 3080 back in, it started working perfectly. Does HP lock their motherboards to their gpus? And if so, how do I get around that?

Do any leds light up on the other gpus, do the fans spin? (they should spin shortly on startup)

Are there  any debug lights on the motherboard?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Had the same bullshit with an HP prebuilt a decade ago. I upgraded to a gtx 670. I had to buy a new motherboard for it to work.

If it doens't say it's not compatible with what it would normally be expected to be compatible with, it's false advertising and I would RMA their ass.

If you can't RMA, Heck go sue them for hidden fault. MOFOs

Additionally, maybe I can buy your RTX 3080 🙂 😛 lo

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

Had the same bullshit with an HP prebuilt a decade ago. I upgraded to a gtx 670. I had to buy a new motherboard for it to work.

If it doens't say it's not compatible with what it would normally be expected to be compatible with, it's false advertising and I would RMA their ass.

If you can't RMA, Heck go sue them for hidden fault. MOFOs

Additionally, maybe I can buy your RTX 3080 🙂 😛 lo

maybe its an Omen thing, i had several  HPs, swapping out GPUs hasnt been an issue.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Eventually figured it out after being on the phone with HP support for over an hour with no luck. (Something about how I was breaking warranty so they weren't allowed to help me, even). You have to clear the CMOS with the pins on the motherboard, pulling the battery out didn't work, and neither does resetting the bios from the menu. Leaving this response here in case the great google algorithm sends someone else looking this way for answers. 

Several years ago I bought a used HP from an office that shutdown.  I plugged in a gpu and it wouldn't work.  I tried 3 different gpus and no luck.  I tried a different power supply and no luck.  Searched for bios and driver updates... no luck.  I then decided to look at the particular board's model number.  I read from HP's site that even though it's a PCIE slot, it was NOT compatible with GPUs of any kind.  I was mad AF.

I also found that the board's layout was very different.  Looking down from the top of a traditional board with the cpu on the right, this HP had the cpu to the left most part of the board and the expansion slots were on the right.  I was like WTF?

Anyways I got so mad I was about to run it over with my suv and my neighbor asked if he could have it.  I gave it to him and served him a few years as a web browsing machine.

• 2 months later...

What about the rtx 3080, does it work in your other machine or is it also locked?

• 3 months later...

I am also interested. Does the 3080 work in your other machine at its full potential?

On 7/29/2021 at 2:53 PM, Xylim said:

What about the rtx 3080, does it work in your other machine or is it also locked?

17 hours ago, 04M04 said:

I am also interested. Does the 3080 work in your other machine at its full potential?

The 3080 worked just fine in another system, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. The cooler is atrocious and the vram gets really hot, I noticed it hitting 110c and throttling while gaming.  

• 5 weeks later...

Having same issue reads 570 but not 580. I verified with different systems that all parts work