Is I9 10850K still worth the buying? It is 450 USD cheaper here than 5900X

Go to solution Solved by Mister Woof,
5 minutes ago, Herkul said:

Oh, really? What about cooling. Will dark rock 4 pro be enough?

I'd go with one of the better units on this list

DRP4 should be from everything I've read - it looks like a good cooler as well, just make sure the case and the memory will fit it

Is I9 10850K still worth the buying? It is 450 USD cheaper here than 5900X. Mainly for Photoshop, Lightroom and some 4 K editing. Not going to game.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Herkul said:

Is I9 10850K still worth the buying? It is 450 USD cheaper here than 5900X. Mainly for Photoshop, Lightroom and some 4 K editing. Not going to game.

Thanks.

Yes, the 10850K is still a very good processor. Considering that it is so much cheaper than the 5900X, it would be a no brainer to spend the extra on an AMD build.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The 5800x is the competition for the 10850k..

Even in workstations.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/11th-Gen-Intel-Core-CPU-Review-Roundup-2106/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Herkul said:

But what about high temperatures under load?

Go through and read that article. It'll shed new light on the 5800x and Zen 3 in general.

Easily fixed with a decent motherboard and PBO settings. In an ITX case, with a L-12S I hardly see above 85C.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Go through and read that article. It'll shed new light on the 5800x and Zen 3 in general.

Easily fixed with a decent motherboard and PBO settings. In an ITX case, with a L-12S I hardly see above 85C.

I will read it throguh, so 85 C is normal? I thought it is quite high?

Just now, Herkul said:

It's on the higher side, but still in spec for Ryzen. But in the end you'll have to factor in a decent cooler regardless of choosing the 10850K or 5800X.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Herkul said:

Here's the photoshop specific testing.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-2099/

85 under load in a tiny case with a tiny air cooler?  It's really not bad. Well within limits.

If you're coming from Intel, the 5800x will "feel" hot because of how their boost process works compared to Intel's

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It's on the higher side, but still in spec for Ryzen. But in the end you'll have to factor in a decent cooler regardless of choosing the 10850K or 5800X.

I am looking into these parts:

Fractal Design Meshify C Baltas - TG FD-CA-MESH-C-WT-TGC Side window case &

CPU COOLER MULTI SOCKET/KRAKEN X73 RGB cooler

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Here's the photoshop specific testing.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-2099/

85 under load in a tiny case with a tiny air cooler?  It's really not bad. Well within limits.

If you're coming from Intel, the 5800x will "feel" hot because of how their boost process works compared to Intel's

I am coming from I5-4690K 😄

I am looking into these parts:

Fractal Design Meshify C Baltas - TG FD-CA-MESH-C-WT-TGC Side window case &

CPU COOLER MULTI SOCKET/KRAKEN X73 RGB cooler

Both the case and cooler will have an easy time keeping both CPUs cool.

4 minutes ago, Herkul said:

Either one of the CPUs will be a huge upgrade then.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Both the case and cooler will have an easy time keeping both CPUs cool.

Either one of the CPUs will be a huge upgrade then.

Absolutely! 🙂

11 minutes ago, Herkul said:

They both will also seem a lot hotter. Ryzen in general will seem hotter than Intel though. If you're curious as to why, look into AMDs PBO.

For Intel's CPU boost, you get 56 seconds.

AMD uses PBO. If the CPU is set to thermal throttle at 100c it'll boost as much and as long as it can until it hits that 100c. The only things stopping it from hitting that 100c would be CPU cooler, VRMs getting too hot, or not enough power from your PSU. In PBO you can turn the voltage offset down, which sends less power to the CPU and VRMs so you get less heat, but it's possible to actually boost higher because of it.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

They both will also seem a lot hotter. Ryzen in general will seem hotter than Intel though. If you're curious as to why, look into AMDs PBO.

For Intel's CPU boost, you get 56 seconds.

AMD uses PBO. If the CPU is set to thermal throttle at 100c it'll boost as much and as long as it can until it hits that 100c. The only things stopping it from hitting that 100c would be CPU cooler, VRMs getting too hot, or not enough power from your PSU. In PBO you can turn the voltage offset down, which sends less power to the CPU and VRMs so you get less heat, but it's possible to actually boost higher because of it.

I see. So technically there is nothing to worry about high temperature.

What motherboards would you recommend for 5800x and Intel I9 10850? Thanks.

I see. So technically there is nothing to worry about high temperature.

Not really, no. Theres so many people that were talking about the 5800x being hotter than the others because of how it's made. Internally it's a lot more "dense" than the 5950x. When I get to work and am at my computer I can find a diagram that shows why this is the case. 

As far as why I linked Puget Systems there. They are a System Integrator first. They do a ton of testing on the side. Where when you go to NZXT and say I want this computer, and you hope it does what you want. PS tests hardware combinations with software. You go to them and say I do this work load and want to spend this much. They build a computer for that. Look into them if you haven't. They publish all their findings on the site that I linked earlier. 

What motherboards would you recommend for 5800x and Intel I9 10850? Thanks.

I haven't gone with Intel for 10th or 11th gen, so I'm not sure what is what for their motherboards. Any that has good VRMs and features that you want. 

I use a MSI MPG B550I and haven't had issues with VRM. Same thing here though. Good VRMs and features you want. In the motherboard section of the forum there is a Motherboard Tier List. It's for AMD since boards are used for much longer with AMD. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

19 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Not really, no. Theres so many people that were talking about the 5800x being hotter than the others because of how it's made. Internally it's a lot more "dense" than the 5950x. When I get to work and am at my computer I can find a diagram that shows why this is the case. 

As far as why I linked Puget Systems there. They are a System Integrator first. They do a ton of testing on the side. Where when you go to NZXT and say I want this computer, and you hope it does what you want. PS tests hardware combinations with software. You go to them and say I do this work load and want to spend this much. They build a computer for that. Look into them if you haven't. They publish all their findings on the site that I linked earlier. 

I haven't gone with Intel for 10th or 11th gen, so I'm not sure what is what for their motherboards. Any that has good VRMs and features that you want. 

I use a MSI MPG B550I and haven't had issues with VRM. Same thing here though. Good VRMs and features you want. In the motherboard section of the forum there is a Motherboard Tier List. It's for AMD since boards are used for much longer with AMD. 

Thank you. What about Userbenchmark, is it unreliable?

When you compare two processors it surely states that 10850K is a winner.

17 minutes ago, Herkul said:

Thank you. What about Userbenchmark, is it unreliable?

When you compare two processors it surely states that 10850K is a winner.

Look at comprehensive reviews. Userbenchmark is only good to see how your sample is compared to the other samples of the same SKU. Even then, it can be misleading, since it contains all OCs even those that aren't actually stable.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Look at comprehensive reviews. Userbenchmark is only good to see how your sample is compared to the other samples of the same SKU. Even then, it can be misleading, since it contains all OCs even those that aren't actually stable.

Are you happy with your i9-10900KF?

Are you happy with your i9-10900KF?

Yes, very.

If the 5800x was $399 it would have been a harder decision. But at it's current price, and paired with decent RAM, generally even at lower resolutions the 10900KF with a modest OC is about even with all the Ryzen CPUs at what I use it for.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Consider this, too:

With a healthy OC, the 10900K is still better at almost everything than the 11900k.

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Consider this, too:

With a healthy OC, the 10900K is still better at almost everything than the 11900k.

11 generation is a joke! 😕 5800x costs just 60 USD more here than 10850K.

3 minutes ago, Herkul said:

11 generation is a joke! 😕 5800x costs just 60 USD more here than 10850K.

I wouldn't feel bad about getting it.

I actually had a 5800x on delivery from AMD Store, but I returned it ultimately. 

People don't want to talk about it, and I'm sure I'll get some shit here for saying it, but in my experience AMD CPU, or more specifically, AMD motherboards, are just more work and have more quirks than Intel builds. The fact AGESA is such a big deal with memory issues up the wazoo should give you some insight to that.

However, credit is given where credit is due, and AMD has made a great CPU. There's no question they've advanced quite a bit, and in at least partway have surpassed Intel. It seems memory is still their biggest hurdle, though. The third generation memory controller is holding them back. Once they get that figured out it will be even harder to recommend Intel for anything.

21 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I wouldn't feel bad about getting it.

I actually had a 5800x on delivery from AMD Store, but I returned it ultimately. 

People don't want to talk about it, and I'm sure I'll get some shit here for saying it, but in my experience AMD CPU, or more specifically, AMD motherboards, are just more work and have more quirks than Intel builds. The fact AGESA is such a big deal with memory issues up the wazoo should give you some insight to that.

However, credit is given where credit is due, and AMD has made a great CPU. There's no question they've advanced quite a bit, and in at least partway have surpassed Intel. It seems memory is still their biggest hurdle, though. The third generation memory controller is holding them back. Once they get that figured out it will be even harder to recommend Intel for anything.

I agree, but all the reviews about temperature and getting the CPU hot are tempting me to just go with I9 10850K. I hope it will be a decent decision and I will be happy with it.Not sure for how many years it will last though.

I agree, but all the reviews about temperature and getting the CPU hot are tempting me to just go with I9 10850K. I hope it will be a decent decision and I will be happy with it.Not sure for how many years it will last though.

IMO the difference for my uses is so small that it's not really even something to worry about.

I can't say for sure for your use case, but I would absolutely spend less time agonizing about the decision and just make one.

Get one of them and start getting work or gaming done.

28 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

IMO the difference for my uses is so small that it's not really even something to worry about.

I can't say for sure for your use case, but I would absolutely spend less time agonizing about the decision and just make one.

Get one of them and start getting work or gaming done.

Indeed! Thanks man!