Why are really cheap gpus popping up on Ebay at the moment?

Boidi
Go to solution Solved by Boidi,

A little update:

The listing has already been removed by ebay because it was fraudulent, and I am now trying to get a refund.

Thanks for all your replies, and apologies for my blatent lack of thinking and common sense.

First post on LTT forums, I need to ask why are there tonnes of cheap gpus like this rtx 2070 popping up on ebay? And if one were to, say, impulsively buy one of these without really considering how this is most probably a scam, could I still get a refund from Ebay?

That's one of the items in question:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-Windforce-x3-OC-8GB-GDDR6-Graphics-Card/124683481068?hash=item1d07b6efec:g:TKUAAOSwgqJgeUS4

Capture.PNG

Most likely a scam.

If its looks to good to be true it most likely is!

(Check the DESC and see if it says you will just be receiving a box.)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

image.png.406cde27030e17b1c0be80b5d0e813d5.png

You have the eBay Guarantee.

But first check the description if it's not just a box or whatever.

When they write "only the box is for sale" and you only get a box, then you're out of luck and can't really claim your Money Back Guarantee.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Moved to Graphics Cards.

3 minutes ago, Boidi said:

I need to ask why are there tonnes of cheap gpus like this rtx 2070 popping up on ebay?

It's a very common scam on ebay. If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

In the time since you posted this it went from 16 sold to 20 sold. I really hate how stupid the "ebay guarantee" makes people. "This is clearly a scam, but ebay will give me my money back so I don't mind funding scammers!"

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, SignatureSigner said:

Most likely a scam.

If its looks to good to be true it most likely is!

(Check the DESC and see if it says you will just be receiving a box.)

Just now, Stahlmann said:

image.png.406cde27030e17b1c0be80b5d0e813d5.png

You have the eBay Guarantee.

But first check the description if it's not just a box or whatever.

When they write "only the box is for sale" and you only get a box, then you're out of luck.

The description mentions nothing about box only or picture only.

This is all it says: "GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce x3 OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card, Genuine real card owned from new (Bought August 2020), just selling due to an upgrade. In excellent fully working condition comes with all original packaging. I have used this for light gaming sessions only probably about 5 to 10 hours a week maximum. Card is in fantastic condition, it's never been mined or anything like that, works exactly as it should. This is probably one of the best super cards you can buy. From a Pet Free, Smoke Free Home."

4 minutes ago, Boidi said:

First post on LTT forums, I need to ask why are there tonnes of cheap gpus like this rtx 2070 popping up on ebay? And if one were to, say, impulsively buy one of these without really considering how this is most probably a scam, could I still get a refund from Ebay?

That's one of the items in question:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIGABYTE-GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-Windforce-x3-OC-8GB-GDDR6-Graphics-Card/124683481068?hash=item1d07b6efec:g:TKUAAOSwgqJgeUS4

Capture.PNG

!!! FAKE SCAM !!!

Genuine real card owned //nobody uses that word unless they want to hide the truth

from new (Bought August 2020), just selling due to an upgrade. In excellent fully working condition comes with all original packaging.

I have used this for light gaming sessions only probably about 5 to 10 hours a week maximum //wait what ???

If she wants payment upfront, it's a SCAM.

Make sure to get a real home address so you can file a police report. 

Also those reviews on the account look very familiar, like another account that was shutdown last Monday.

-

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

That's because those aren't actually cards for sale. They're scams. It's been going on for years, and people like to take advantage of others when there is a GPU shortage like there is now. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

!!! FAKE SCAM !!!

Genuine real card owned //nobody uses that word unless they want to hide the truth

from new (Bought August 2020), just selling due to an upgrade. In excellent fully working condition comes with all original packaging.

I have used this for light gaming sessions only probably about 5 to 10 hours a week maximum //wait what ???

If she wants payment upfront, it's a SCAM.

Make sure to get a real home address so you can file a police report. 

Also those reviews on the account look very familiar, like another account that was shutdown last Monday.

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

That's because those aren't actually cards for sale. They're scams. It's been going on for years, and people like to take advantage of others when there is a GPU shortage like there is now. 

When paying through PayPal you can use your buyer protection.

Same with ebay when you don't receive what's described.

But the phrase "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" is fitting here.

Ok so reading through the comments I see the general consensus is that it's a scam. In hindsight I most definetely should've posted here before buying, that price was too allusive I guess and I didn't see any red flags, other then the price, at first.

Only hope remains the ebay refund guarentee I guess, but now I feel like an idiot for funding scammers.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

When paying through PayPal you can use your buyer protection.

Same with ebay when you don't receive what's described.

But the phrase "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" is fitting here.

The ebay buyer protection rarely works if the seller has really good reviews and you don't. PayPal works better since they started to cooperate with Mastercard and Visa. I would still do it cash in person or cash to the delivery driver. At least that way I would have the sellers address in case there is something wrong with it. 

4 minutes ago, Boidi said:

Ok so reading through the comments I see the general consensus is that it's a scam. In hindsight I most definetely should've posted here before buying, that price was too allusive I guess and I didn't see any red flags, other then the price, at first.

Only hope remains the ebay refund guarentee I guess, but now I feel like an idiot for funding scammers.

And for that reason i try to pay everything either with PayPal or via Amazon Pay. Then you will most likely get your money back when something goes wrong.

7 minutes ago, Boidi said:

the fact they are describing 1 card they are selling due to upgrading but there are more than 10 available and 16 were sold in the last 24 hours it's what most definitely makes it a scam

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

The ebay buyer protection rarely works if the seller has really good reviews and you don't. PayPal works better since they started to cooperate with Mastercard and Visa. I would still do it cash in person or cash to the delivery driver. At least that way I would have the sellers address in case there is something wrong with it. 

Unfortunetely I didn't pay through paypal, rather straight from my debit card as that's my default on ebay. I assume other people who have purchased this also will be asking for a refund, so will the ebay consider that when evaluating a refund?

Just now, boggy77 said:

the fact they are describing 1 card they are selling due to upgrading but there are more than 10 available and 16 were sold in the last 24 hours it's what most definitely makes it a scam

That is a big giveaway now but unfortunately when I made the purchase it was not the case.

A little update:

The listing has already been removed by ebay because it was fraudulent, and I am now trying to get a refund.

Thanks for all your replies, and apologies for my blatent lack of thinking and common sense.