How many watts, and what PSU?

1stMidnight

I’m going to be running a liquid cooled 3080 + 5600X, with 32gb ram and a crap ton of leds / powerful accessories. PCPartPicker psu calculator says I need 510w. Right now I’m looking at getting an 850. Is this too much? Too little? Also, what one should I get?

PSUs I’m considering ranked in price high to low:

Prime GX-850

Prime GX-750

Corsair RM850x (2021)

Seasonic focus GX-850

Corsair HX-750

Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 (750w)

Corsair RM750x (2018)

Seasonic focus GX-750

No I think 850W would be perfect for your setup I have a 5800X and a 3080 and am using a HX750 and tbh if you wanted you could just get a 1000W so that if it pulls 510W the PSU would still be passively cooled (depending which one you get). They're all solid choices but I have a bias towards Corsair so I'd say get the RM850X, the new one that just got released.

I have the Focus Plus Gold by Seasonic (850W) and it's been working well. I also have a Seasonic G series (650W) and it's also good, but I'm not sure those are still made, the second one is semi-modular and the first one fully modular. 

1 hour ago, zenidin said:

No I think 850W would be perfect for your setup I have a 5800X and a 3080 and am using a HX750 and tbh if you wanted you could just get a 1000W so that if it pulls 510W the PSU would still be passively cooled (depending which one you get). They're all solid choices but I have a bias towards Corsair so I'd say get the RM850X, the new one that just got released.

Price is more of a concern than noise. I’ve been running an Alienware prebuilt, loud as can be. I think I’ll go with an 850, thanks for your advice!

45 minutes ago, DCCFan said:

I have the Focus Plus Gold by Seasonic (850W) and it's been working well. I also have a Seasonic G series (650W) and it's also good, but I'm not sure those are still made, the second one is semi-modular and the first one fully modular. 

Do you think I should get a focus gold or prime gold? $30 price difference

Also, I think I’m going to be Bitcoin/ether mining on it while I’m at school. If this has any affect on what I should get.

4 hours ago, 1stMidnight said:

Do you think I should get a focus gold or prime gold? $30 price difference

Absolutely not.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

30 minutes ago, 1stMidnight said:

Absolutely not what?

Worth it. It's the same internally so it's not worth it just for the bigger fan and 2 years extra warranty (for the 750W). With the 850W you get better internals, but you will (maybe) get some issues with the 3080.

My pick would be the Corsair HX-750.

39 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Worth it. It's the same internally so it's not worth it just for the bigger fan and 2 years extra warranty (for the 750W). With the 850W you get better internals, but you will (maybe) get some issues with the 3080.

What issues would I have using an 850 with a 3080? I was planning on getting one

55 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Also, why HX-750 over RM750/850x or a focus gold 750? I’ve heard the seasonic power supplies are generally higher quality.

1 hour ago, 1stMidnight said:

Also, why HX-750 over RM750/850x or a focus gold 750? I’ve heard the seasonic power supplies are generally higher quality.

HX has better build quality and better protection than RMx and Focus.

Also, a PSU cannot be judged solely by its brand. Corsair and SeaSonic have several lineups.

Prime has no in cable caps. I was torn between Prime GX and RMX, Prime was on sale with a longer 12 year warranty. I would have went either way, this time I chose with my wallet.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

27 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

HX has better build quality and better protection than RMx and Focus.

Also, a PSU cannot be judged solely by its brand. Corsair and SeaSonic have several lineups.

Well, sadly I can’t find the HX850 anywhere for retail price.

35 minutes ago, 1stMidnight said:

Well, sadly I can’t find the HX850 anywhere for retail price.

According to @jonnyGURU, HX750 works fine on the 3080.

7 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

According to @jonnyGURU, HX750 works fine on the 3080.

I’m not doing below 850 so if I want to upgrade later I don’t gotta get a new psu

5 hours ago, 1stMidnight said:

What issues would I have using an 850 with a 3080? I was planning on getting one

The Prime (G/P/T) 850 W, to be exact. There is a problem with the 12V sense. Some 3080/3090/Vega 64 are sending a lot of noise in this wire, that will make the supervisor IC freak out and shut down the entire system.

2 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

The Prime (G/P/T) 850 W, to be exact. There is a problem with the 12V sense. Some 3080/3090/Vega 64 are sending a lot of noise in this wire, that will make the supervisor IC freak out and shut down the entire system.

Can I get some articles and sources for this? Also, does this occur with the founders edition GPUs? I googled it and only saw results involving 3080s from EVGA.

Can I get some articles and sources for this? Also, does this occur with the founders edition GPUs? I googled it and only saw results involving 3080s from EVGA.

Can I get some articles and sources for this?

No article, Seasonic never admitted the issue (in comparison with the issue with Focus back in 2018), i suppose they blame nVidia on this, and this is not far from the thruth, nVidia shouldn't recommend 750W PSU for RTX3080 when a good amount of 750W PSUs and even some (mainly Seasonic) 850W ones clearly don't work well with RTX3080. But still, most 750W PSUs do work fine, so they should've made at least some statement, on the likes of 'don't follow nVidia's wattage recommendation, you need 850W PSU for it', but nah, complete silence.

All we have is Jon's own research. In short (i'm not gonna bring up his posts at 3 AM), this issue seems to be related to similar issue with older Focus revisions and AMD Vega when the supervisor IC was shutting down the PSU when there was some noise back from the GPU, most likely on the v-sense wires, because according to Jon, if you cut the 12V v-sense wire off 24-pin ATX connector, the issue then does not reproduce. It's not clear, if all Prime revisions are affected, but again, due to Seasonic's complete silence, we just assume that they are, all, affected (including rebrands like Corsair AX, ASUS Thor and Antec Signature). There's also an accompanying issue of RTX3080/3090 (and AMD Vega) being just very transient heavy, but again, most 750W PSUs work fine and Seasonic doesn't appear to set their OCP particularly lower than other brands, the issue with them is different.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

No article, Seasonic never admitted the issue (in comparison with the issue with Focus back in 2018), i suppose they blame nVidia on this, and this is not far from the thruth, nVidia shouldn't recommend 750W PSU for RTX3080 when a good amount of 750W PSUs and even some (mainly Seasonic) 850W ones clearly don't work well with RTX3080. But still, most 750W PSUs do work fine, so they should've made at least some statement, on the likes of 'don't follow nVidia's wattage recommendation, you need 850W PSU for it', but nah, complete silence.

All we have is Jon's own research. In short (i'm not gonna bring up his posts at 3 AM), this issue seems to be related to similar issue with older Focus revisions and AMD Vega when the supervisor IC was shutting down the PSU when there was some noise back from the GPU, most likely on the v-sense wires, because according to Jon, if you cut the 12V v-sense wire off 24-pin ATX connector, the issue then does not reproduce. It's not clear, if all Prime revisions are affected, but again, due to Seasonic's complete silence, we just assume that they are, all, affected (including rebrands like Corsair AX, ASUS Thor and Antec Signature). There's also an accompanying issue of RTX3080/3090 (and AMD Vega) being just very transient heavy, but again, most 750W PSUs work fine and Seasonic doesn't appear to set their OCP particularly lower than other brands, the issue with them is different.

Oh, okay. I went ahead and scored a 2017 850w prime titanium. Hopefully I don't have any issues. 

9 minutes ago, 1stMidnight said:

Oh, okay. I went ahead and scored a 2017 850w prime titanium. Hopefully I don't have any issues. 

Why... would you get an 850W PSU that is known to have issues, rather than a 750W PSU that is known to work...?

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why... would you get an 850W PSU that is known to have issues, rather than a 750W PSU that is known to work...?

Because I'm confused, and I got a good deal. Juular also said that the 750s have problems, too.

5 hours ago, 1stMidnight said:

Because I'm confused, and I got a good deal. Juular also said that the 750s have problems, too.

Old Seasonic Focus had issues, i.e Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold and Focus Plus Platinum, new models, Focus GM, GX, PX and rebrands shouldn't. Whatever, be sure to tell us if you'll have any issues with it or not.

7 hours ago, Juular said:

Old Seasonic Focus had issues, i.e Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold and Focus Plus Platinum, new models, Focus GM, GX, PX and rebrands shouldn't. Whatever, be sure to tell us if you'll have any issues with it or not.

I will as soon as I get a gpu, LOL