Best way to transfer large files (500Gb+) over LAN?

Hello, I bought a new PC and I'm planning on selling my laptop, but before that I need to transfer large work projects to another PC's HDD, what is the best way of doing this?

I've tried teamviewer and microsoft sharing, but the problem is that transfer rates are way too low (1Mbps at best).

Have you connected to your device to the network via ethernet?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

one method I used was connecting one PC to the other using an ethernet cable then making the drive shared over that local network that should improve your performance by a significant amount

5 minutes ago, minemarcius said:

Hello, I bought a new PC and I'm planning on selling my laptop, but before that I need to transfer large work projects to another PC's HDD, what is the best way of doing this?

I've tried teamviewer and microsoft sharing, but the problem is that transfer rates are way too low (1Mbps at best).

1. It wont be fast

you have couple of options:

• create a ftp server on the desktop, and mount the share on the laptop and copy the files onto the desktop
  • create a shared folder on windows, and mount it on the laptop: basically the same as above only the windows official way 🙂
  • faster way is: get a external drive, copy your files onto it
  • use usb sticks to slowly get portion by portion out of your laptop

10 minutes ago, RegulatorRWF said:

What about replacing the laptop HDD and just moving the old laptop into your new PC?

definetly the best option.

never sell your laptop with included storage, always remove the storage before selling anything

1 minute ago, Haraikomono said:

definetly the best option.

never sell your laptop with included storage, always remove the storage before selling anything

I would agree with this statement if you use your computer to hold sensitive information, but if you still want to do so I would highly recommend running DBAN on the HDD before selling it that way it is significantly harder to recover any information off of the drive

3 minutes ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

I would agree with this statement if you use your computer to hold sensitive information, but if you still want to do so I would highly recommend running DBAN on the HDD before selling it that way it is significantly harder to recover any information off of the drive

Can't recover data if the drive isn't present though. you can get a replacement laptop HDD for like 60 dollars, it seems like a wise investment to me, plus it's easier than actually trying to transfer gigantic files.

Thing is the files are not super sensitive right now as some projects have been done years ago, it's just that they're great for references.

And I'll do several overwrites of the hdd before selling the laptop, the cost of recovering those files won't be worth it.