What my gpu pads thickness, replaced them and now 90C°

PWforPower

How do I know thickness of pads for gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming ? 

I think that they are 0.5 from my remebering. I puted new pads 1mm.

Can that be problem. New paste isnt problem I have done this to many times. 

1 minute ago, PWforPower said:

How do I know thickness of pads for gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming ? 

I think that they are 0.5 from my remebering. I puted new pads 1mm.

Can that be problem. New paste isnt problem I have done this to many times. 

You will want to use the same thickness of pads since it can apply extra pressure onto the PCB or cause it to bend if they were too thick. Best thing to do is to use a pair of calipers to measure the thickness of the pads, Also check as there are different thickness of pads usually used on the VRM and power delivery compared to the Vram chips.

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, W-L said:

You will want to use the same thickness of pads since it can apply extra pressure onto the PCB or cause it to bend if they were too thick. Best thing to do is to use a pair of calipers to measure the thickness of the pads, Also check as there are different thickness of pads usually used on the VRM and power delivery compared to the Vram chips.

Thank you, I changed to new ones 0.5mm and what I see is that these 0.5mm pads also make bend and it not touching with cpu, but temps are better.

I really dont know what gone wrong, it gtx 970 never passed over 62 and its in furmark on 99,99 tdp, while in games never over 58.

Now tempa are 4C° higher and higher. 

Please help me, I've changed to many times thermal paste on this gpu and temps were only better than before, but now after changed pads It worser.

Evrthing on gpu works as before only temps are unormal. 

If that bented and not touchin cpu correctly, how I can fix it ? 

2 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

What thermal paste are you using for the GPU and what method/how much are you applying?

You can try and use K5 Pro instead of thermal pads IIRC

I told that paste is okay. 

So you are sure that pads on ram can be replaced with paste. 

If you didn't understand, I always put paste on cpu, but changed pads on rams

5 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

But which one are you using? Not all pastes are the same

Should be the same, it's used on VRMs when pad thickness is unknown or simply to make the process easier instead of measuring and cutting squares

By the way:

Hide contents
From what I've gathered so far is that do NOT use 0.5mm on the VRM and Memory Chips, use 1.0mm - 1.5mm for the VRM and 0.75m - 1.00m for the memory chip and for Length x Width use 100mm x 100mm. Not entirely too sure as the people who have recommended this are the same people who have used 0.5mm on both Mem and VRMs and are just saying their temperatures have increased or remained the same so it's best to go slightly thicker on each.

Im using artic paste for years and months before done it I've used same paste. 

Ofcourse I think that these 1mm pads I've used on mem bented pcb for a little, so now when I replaced then with 0.5mm only mem, temps of cpu are 4C° higher. If somerhing I know to do with gpu is to correct put paste and screw all how it's need. 

32 minutes ago, PWforPower said:

Im using artic paste for years and months before done it I've used same paste. 

Ofcourse I think that these 1mm pads I've used on mem bented pcb for a little, so now when I replaced then with 0.5mm only mem, temps of cpu are 4C° higher. If somerhing I know to do with gpu is to correct put paste and screw all how it's need. 

No not all thermal pastes are the same but usually you only see at most maybe 5C difference unless it's really crap generic paste. I usually recommend Arctic MX4 paste and use it on a lot of my stuff, other excellent options are Noctua NT-H2 and Thermal grizzly Kryonaut paste.