what is Fractal Meshify 2 xl is made of (what is the material used)?

Orian Pax

title

Mainly the chassis -

left panel -

Right panel -

Top panel -

Front panel -

2 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

Steel, plastic and tempered glass, depending on which part you are referring to.

The main construction is steel, the left side panel is tempered glass and some of the front panel for example is mostly plastic (If I remember, including the front mesh part).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

46 minutes ago, minibois said:

Steel, plastic and tempered glass, depending on which part you are referring to.

The main construction is steel, the left side panel is tempered glass and some of the front panel for example is mostly plastic (If I remember, including the front mesh part).

1) how do you know all of this with certainty (i mean where did you get this info)? (i think that's  cool)

[i read everything offered by fractal in download section of meshify 2 xl and only things i know with certainty are
left & right side panels made of glass and steel and front panel is plastic that was from gamers nexus]

2) what is the top most panel made of? (the one which has i/o cut outs and covers top mesh)

3) also do you how much Cable routing space is in Bequiet! 900 pro?
(i found the meshify 2 xl's routing cable space from here on page 6
https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Meshify-2-XL-_Product-Sheet_EN.pdf)

7 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

1) how do you know all of this with certainty (i mean where did you get this info)? (i think that's  cool)

I've handled plenty Fractal cases, so I knew what the materials are like, plus most case designs are quite similar. Mostly a metal of some sort, with a plastic front panel.

The sort of metal used was something I wasn't sure on, but Fractal's product page mentions it's steel.

14 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

2) what is the top most panel made of? (the one which has i/o cut outs and covers top mesh)

Looks like it's metal.

The Gamers Nexus video at 4:48 mentions an imperfection in the top panel, where the punching out of the fan position dented the top a bit. Such denting could not occur on plastic, which makes me confident in saying it's metal (probably steel, as that is the only metal mentioned on the Fractal website)

So I'd say:

- Most of the frame will be steel(including the top panel, back, etc.)

- Sidepanels are glass/steel depending on the version you get

- Front will be mostly plastic probably

15 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

3) also do you how much Cable routing space is in Bequiet! 900 pro?

It doesn't mention it, but I'd guess it can't be more than about 4-5cm.

I base this one the width of the case and the max CPU tower, which are 243mm and 185mm respectively. Of course that leaves 58mm of space, which that space is used for:

- Motherboard (including socket) (couple mm?)

- Standoffs (6.4mm)

- back panel (probably also a couple mm?)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

I'd guess it can't be more than about 4-5cm.

Indeed, it can't/shouldn't be more than 5cm. That's 2 inches nearly equal to two top bones of ur forefinger which is too much deep. (for referencing that info comes in handy plus it's used in painting so nothing creepy about it and I don't know what's the rectangular blocks on finger are called.... so I just went with it).

1 hour ago, minibois said:

185mm

I don't know what's with pc manufacturers and 185mm.

But 2 inch routing cable space seems too much to me.

Hmmm....

Meshify 2 XL's width is 240mm out of which 30mm is used for cable routing and CPU cooler clearance is 185.

(nh-d15 peak height is 165mm & max would be 170-175mm bcuz of ram).

Anyway,

2mm of mobo holding back panel

4mm mobo+socket

6.4mm = standoffs

30mm = routing cable space

12.4mm +30mm +185mm= 227.4mm

(226.4mm if mobo+socket is kept 3mm)

240-4= 236mm (subtracting left and right side panel's thickness)

236-227.4=8.6 (or 9.6 so nearly 1cm if we consider mobo + socket 3mm)

-----------

243-4=239mm

239 -(8.6+185+6.4+4+2)

239 -201.4 = 37.6mm 

So no more than 40mm I guess.

(My best guess would be 30-35mm,30-40mm at best, of routing space. This would not have been possible without your moderator!)

Yosha! thanks for such great info!!!

2 hours ago, minibois said:

I've handled plenty Fractal cases, so I knew what the materials are like, plus most case designs are quite similar. Mostly a metal of some sort, with a plastic front panel.

The sort of metal used was something I wasn't sure on, but Fractal's product page mentions it's steel.

Looks like it's metal.

The Gamers Nexus video at 4:48 mentions an imperfection in the top panel, where the punching out of the fan position dented the top a bit. Such denting could not occur on plastic, which makes me confident in saying it's metal (probably steel, as that is the only metal mentioned on the Fractal website)

So I'd say:

I base this one the width of the case and the max CPU tower, which are 243mm and 185mm respectively. Of course that leaves 58mm of space, which that space is used for:

- Standoffs (6.4mm)

Interesting,

the first review, 3 star one, says the space is restrictive for cable management.

https://www.amazon.in/quiet-BGW12-Dark-Base-Silver/dp/B01H6JP0ES?th=1&psc=1

2 hours ago, minibois said:

Looks like it's metal.

So I'd say:

- Standoffs (6.4mm)

Also which pc cases are better made with aluminium or steel?

(Which one would u prefer?)

most cases now are made out of the same materials. steel/aluminum, tempered glass/adrylic (cheaper cases) and plastic  depending on what part of the case or the case itself that you are refering to. my corsair obsidian 1000d is made out of steel and aluminum for the case, tempered glass for the side panels and plastic to hold the SSDs or HDDs. 

2 hours ago, tdkid said:

my corsair obsidian 1000d is made out of steel and aluminum for the case, tempered glass for the side panels and plastic to hold the SSDs or HDDs. 

That's a combination....

Is it worth it for ya?

Also which pc cases are better made with aluminium or steel?

(Right now I on mobile so can't edit well,

Firstly thanks for the info provided in ur reply I mean like yes that was very informative!

Thank you

12 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

Steel would feel more solid, but likely also be heavier.

It would be subjective to say which is more important (if you move your PC around more, you'd want aluminium for example).

12 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

Interesting, the first review, 3 star one, says the space is restrictive for cable management.

https://www.amazon.in/quiet-BGW12-Dark-Base-Silver/dp/B01H6JP0ES?th=1&psc=1

To be fair, the same reviewer who complained about the cable management space being restrictive also didn't figure out they could mount their second 2.5" SSD on the PSU shroud; instead of just having it kind of chill there next to the PSU. But that's none of my business.

42 minutes ago, minibois said:

To be fair, the same reviewer who complained about the cable management space being restrictive also didn't figure out they could mount their second 2.5" SSD on the PSU shroud; instead of just having it kind of chill there next to the PSU. But that's none of my business.

🤣🤣 True, I liked that last line.

13 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

Many "premium" cases are made with aluminum, because it's actually more expensive since the material is usually machined or cast into form, where as most steel cases (frames, accessories and panels alike) can be stamp pressed into shape. This doesn't mean it's a better material necessarily, simply that case builders using a more expensive material tend to note the finer details in build quality. Steel can also be made to a high build quality while still feeling premium and relatively inexpensive compared to previous aluminum versions (Lian Li O11D comes to mind)

As a result, many all aluminum cases are actually heavier than steel, because they're built quite a bit thicker than their steel counterparts. These days, the only all aluminum cases you find tend to be either mITX cases or very high end ATX cases. With most ATX cases however, the interior is steel and certain exterior features are aluminum such at the Phanteks Evolv X. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Many "premium" cases are made with aluminum, because it's actually more expensive since the material is usually machined or cast into form, where as most steel cases (frames, accessories and panels alike) can be stamp pressed into shape. This doesn't mean it's a better material necessarily, simply that case builders using a more expensive material tend to note the finer details in build quality. Steel can also be made to a high build quality while still feeling premium and relatively inexpensive compared to previous aluminum versions (Lian Li O11D comes to mind)

As a result, many all aluminum cases are actually heavier than steel, because they're built quite a bit thicker than their steel counterparts. These days, the only all aluminum cases you find tend to be either mITX cases or very high end ATX cases. With most ATX cases however, the interior is steel and certain exterior features are aluminum such at the Phanteks Evolv X. 

oh a very informative gentle answer and your profile pic matches the answer.
(your profile pic feels more of a guy breathing-in getting ready to finish his work than representing concern)

no wonder your content count to reputation ratio is so good compared to others.

thanks for replying it's a big help!

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Steel can also be made to a high build quality while still feeling premium and relatively inexpensive compared to previous aluminum versions (Lian Li O11D comes to mind)

that explains the aluminum + steel in spec sheet of https://lian-li.com/product/pc-o11-dynamic/ for front panel.