I can see my CPU with the cooler on

Go to solution Solved by Dedayog,

What does a CPU cooler have to do with a GPU?

You can't fry the CPU with the wrong cooler, but you can thermal throttle and get activity like you're seeing.  If you can live with it, I guess it really doesn't matter.

I'd buy proper equipment, personally.

I recently installed a cooler on my CPU, my CPU is a ryzen 7 5800x and the cooler was not an AM4 cooler, but when I put it in, it worked fine, it runs at 30 to 40 degrees normally, only thermal throddling when I do cinebench multi core test, the single core test runs fine, also on gaming runs fine, but first thing I noticed is that the CPU will randomly spike to 80 degrees and the fans will kick in full speed for no reason, sometimes I'm gaming and it doesn't spike, sometimes Im just browsing google and it spikes. After that I noticed that I could see the very edge of my CPU, even though the cooler is on, can that cause me a problem? its been like 2 months since I put it in and its been working fine, still spiking temp and noise level, but performance wise its fine
I also cannot remove the cooler, I had to press it really hard to get it in the brackets and now I can't get it of
I do plan on buying a new cooler eventually, but I wanted to wait to buy it together with my graphics card (wich are too expensive rn), so is this something I should rush, or can I wait a few months?

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-07 at 11.40.58.jpeg

You can't fry the CPU with the wrong cooler, but you can thermal throttle and get activity like you're seeing.  If you can live with it, I guess it really doesn't matter.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

On 4/7/2021 at 11:54 AM, Dedayog said:

So, I currently have this 5800X with an RX 570, of course this GPU is way lower end than the CPU, so rn, the thermal throddling doesn't bother me, cause the games will be GPU bottomnecked anyway, I wanted to buy it together with the GPU, cause thats when Im actually gonna care about getting 100% out of my CPU, cause the games won't be GPU bottomnecked 99% of the time. So if its fine rn, it will just thermal throttle than I guess I can live with it for now and wait 🙂 Thank you for the response 😄

On 4/7/2021 at 9:43 AM, Mathantastic said:

I recently installed a cooler on my CPU, my CPU is a ryzen 7 5800x and the cooler was not an AM4 cooler, but when I put it in, it worked fine, it runs at 30 to 40 degrees normally, only thermal throddling when I do cinebench multi core test, the single core test runs fine, also on gaming runs fine, but first thing I noticed is that the CPU will randomly spike to 80 degrees and the fans will kick in full speed for no reason, sometimes I'm gaming and it doesn't spike, sometimes Im just browsing google and it spikes. After that I noticed that I could see the very edge of my CPU, even though the cooler is on, can that cause me a problem? its been like 2 months since I put it in and its been working fine, still spiking temp and noise level, but performance wise its fine
I also cannot remove the cooler, I had to press it really hard to get it in the brackets and now I can't get it of
I do plan on buying a new cooler eventually, but I wanted to wait to buy it together with my graphics card (wich are too expensive rn), so is this something I should rush, or can I wait a few months?

Should be OK as is until you get a proper AM4 cooler.
However just being able to see the chip when viewed from the side isn't a problem.

The reason it's hard to get on and off has to do with how the cooler and mounting brackets are in relation to each other, AM3/AM3+ coolers or even those thats older can be hard to get on or off because of that.
You'll have to use something like a flathead screwdriver to "Pop" the cooler tab off one side from the bracket's own tab, after that it should just come right off. Get the locking mechanism as loose as you can, use the screwdriver to pop it off and thats about it.

Do be careful about the CPU coming out with the cooler,  just lift it all straight up and that won't hurt the CPU itself as long as you don't drop the cooler and chip. If it separates from the chip and leaves it in the socket when removed - Job done.
Of course try twisting the cooler at first to hopefully break the bond it would have to the TIM.
Do not try to pry/lean the cooler to one side, that's a good way to distort pins as the chip comes out of the socket if it's stuck to the cooler.

To get the chip off the cooler if it sticks, just flip the cooler upside down and gently slide the chip to one side of the cooler.
Do not apply pressure where the pins are - Only apply it to the chip's PCB/lid and be aware once it gets towards the side it's going to, it will suddenly get really easy to move and could just fly off the cooler if you're not careful, esp if you're pushing on it with some force behind it.
That's when damage to the chip can happen for obvious reason.

Do it slowly, there is no race to get it off or time limit here, whatever it takes is what you do. Make sure the chip is very close to a surface so it doesn't fall and hit when it comes off during this work, bending pins when it does. I normally have the CPU itself when I do this right at the edge of a table, about level with it's surface so when it does come off it just slides right onto the table surface without any worry of it dropping anywhere.

Wish I could show rather than tell you how to do it but that's the gist of it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Mathantastic said:

I know, but like, this was the proper cooler I bought, I just didn't notice it was not AM4 until it after I had already installed it, also could you answer my questions?

It will be thermal throttling until you get the correct bracket and mounting pressure.  

I know the chips will throttle to prevent damage but extended use at the thermal limit can't be good for longevity.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:25 PM, Beerzerker said:

Should be OK as is until you get a proper AM4 cooler.
However just being able to see the chip when viewed from the side isn't a problem.

The reason it's hard to get on and off has to do with how the cooler and mounting brackets are in relation to each other, AM3/AM3+ coolers or even those thats older can be hard to get on or off because of that.
You'll have to use something like a flathead screwdriver to "Pop" the cooler tab off one side from the bracket's own tab, after that it should just come right off. Get the locking mechanism as loose as you can, use the screwdriver to pop it off and thats about it. Do be careful about the CPU coming out with the cooler,  just lift it all straight up and that won't hurt the CPU itself as long as you don't drop the cooler and chip. If it separates from the chip and leaves it in the socket when removed - Job done.
Of course try twisting the cooler at first to hopefully break the bond it would have to the TIM.
Do not try to pry/lean the cooler to one side, that's a good way to distort pins as the chip comes out of the socket if it's stuck to the cooler.

To get the chip off the cooler if it sticks, just flip the cooler upside down and gently slide the chip to one side of the cooler.
Do not apply pressure where the pins are - Only apply it to the chip's PCB/lid and be aware once it gets towards the side it's going to, it will suddenly get really easy to move and could just fly off the cooler if you're not careful, esp if you're pushing on it with some force behind it.
That's when damage to the chip can happen for obvious reason.

Do it slowly, there is no race to get it off or time limit here, whatever it takes is what you do. Make sure the chip is very close to a surface so it doesn't fall and hit when it comes off during this work, bending pins when it does. I normally have the CPU itself when I do this right at the edge of a table, about level with it's surface so when it does come off it just slides right onto the table surface without any worry of it dropping anywhere.

Wish I could show rather than tell you how to do it but that's the gist of it.

Thank you so much! Very explained post
I will do that when I get my cooler

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv