Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
21 hours ago, G4M1NGPCR0CKZ said:

Hello LTT, Video Suggestion:

I would love to see an RGB Christmas Light Guide Video! I think you could have a ton of Fun with this topic and integrate maybe some automated Lighting with Computer integration. It would be cool if you could make a guide on how to setup Music Synchronization with RGB Lighting for the Holidays! Thanks, love your content, merchandise, and all you do! Please make my birthday wishes come true! ( I turn 23 on Monday, November 6th)

I had the same idea!

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 11/4/2023 at 5:34 AM, G4M1NGPCR0CKZ said:

Hello LTT, Video Suggestion:

I would love to see an RGB Christmas Light Guide Video! I think you could have a ton of Fun with this topic and integrate maybe some automated Lighting with Computer integration. It would be cool if you could make a guide on how to setup Music Synchronization with RGB Lighting for the Holidays! Thanks, love your content, merchandise, and all you do! Please make my birthday wishes come true! ( I turn 23 on Monday, November 6th)

6 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

I had the same idea!

In case they don't and you can DIY, look into the WLED project

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I am starting to get into digital painting and I honestly do not know what to get outside of my old laptop. I think it would be nice to see a video on either digital drawing tablets and/or PCs. 

I want a small or mini PC to keep my art desk free for my traditional art. People keep saying get a Mac mini M2 but I saw that Beelink came out with a mini PC called the GTR7 which from what I saw online comparisons was a better performer for a smaller price. Or could I build a PC that is a small form factor that would be better? 

As for the drawing tablets I have heard XPPen, huion can now compete with Wacom at a better price. But can they?

It would be nice to see a proper review of tech gear for artists by tech professionals. 

The home reno videos are awesome...but I think building a modern, tech-filled house would be even better. This would almost certainly be the most expensive LTT project ever but I think it would be cool. 

Buy a plot of land and build a house on it. The house would use the newest home building tech, be made to be able to use all types of modern tech including smart home stuff. 

This project could easily get 30+ videos out of it, more if you did stuff like floatplane exclusives with a lot of vlog style content talking about what is being done for things like lumber and all that...the stuff that wouldn't be great for a normal video. 

When it's done sell the house or rent it or even just give it away to an employee or something like that

I've notice you are doing some acoustic tests on noise and airflow in a few videos. To make your live easier, a new type of microphone is available which not only records the amplitude of the sound but also measures the sound(wave) direction (and intensity) and make this 3D visible with software. In this way you don't need a anechoic chamber and can just measure the direction of flow of sound.  

It is just a matter of going with this special microphone near the object and scan the surface. The end result will be like on the picture, where the red shows a higher airflow intensity than the blue one. You guys would love this gadget for sure. DM me if you are interested, as I don't want to spam, only inform you about the possibilities. 

image_2023-11-06_103252943.png

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

How about a video to show if doubling fans would make any difference ? So like I have a lian li o11d xl case and have 3 fans in side wall but what if I had 6 ? So 3 on top of other 3 

Video Idea: The Grandma PC/No maintenance PC. "Do you have a family member who wants you to build them a PC? Does this family member never manually perform backups and has constantly lost data in the past? Do you want to build them a PC that will be extremely easy to use, require no maintenance, will be a "good PC" for many years to come, and keeps their data safe?"

The main point of this video would be to showcase some lesser shown hardware (lower end hardware, grandma doesn't need a gaming CPU or GPU), and more about useful pieces of software like backup software, maybe some bits about software vs. hardware RAID, which is easier, which requires less maintenance, etc. Options for things like word processing software, which browser would be best for them, etc.

Why? Well, I just did this. I built my mother a PC and asked all of these above questions. I wanted a computer that was as easy to use as possible. Mom is very computer literate, but she's not going to be doing things like installing updates or troubleshooting... anything. So I made sure automatic updates were turned on and setup correctly. Mom has lost lots of data in the past due to... honestly... bad NVME drives. Twice now my family has lost their primary PC data due to failing NVME drives in computers I built. (Well, WELL before their normal failure window.) So this time I decided I was going to setup her computer to have automatic backups that were maintenance free. Furthermore, these backups were backing up to a mirrored drive. There are.... LOTS of ways to do drive mirroring. Which is best? I honestly forget which I went with but after a few google searches I found the one that would be the least troublesome for her. (I think it may have been windows mirrored drive.)

Then, well, backup software. Which one is least intrusive? Which one works best? Which folders should you be backing up? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Obviously we all know time machine is the gold standard here (because it just freaking works), but how can we get something like that on windows... for free? For the lowest cost? Windows used to have some backup options that are being phased out in windows 11 for some... odd reason. 

Furthermore, how do you do this with as LITTLE, or NO monthly fees. Yes, obviously online backup stuff exists (which is what microsoft is pushing), but... grandma doesn't want to be spending her fixed income on subscriptions to 8 different programs just for her computer. (It's crazy that this is even an issue nowadays. Can I not just OWN my pc without having to *pay* for it every month for it to be useful?)

What about... antivirus? Obviously we, as gamers, know that so long as you're not an idiot, you can get by without antivirus. (Well, at least without anything but windows defender.) But for grandma? Yeah, she should probably have some... robust antivirus. Do we need anything additional? Can we get it for free? Is it worth even installing any other antivirus nowadays or is windows defender fine? 

What about remote maintenance. Should you install teamviewer or similar so you can remote in when you inevitably need to help out? 

Video on the new M3 Max MacBook Pro and whether or not it's worth the $3,500.00 US price tag or not.

Suggestion for the test lab on water resistant for devices

Hola, 

Dear People at LTT Media Group.

I was just watching your water column for testing IPxx ratings on devices and, although the lamp is a good idea and a creative way of testing there might be a better way.

When working with watches it is necessary to test if the seals are working properly to ensure water can damage the internals of the watch, but because of the high price of the watches, water ingress can be a pricey mistake.
So there is a simple and inexpensive machine that it is basically a pumps and a chamber with water only the bottom half

-The watch is placed inside the chamber and the chamber is closed. There is a road holding the watch suspending it over the water.
-Air is pump inside the chamber. The pressure in the chamber test the seals by forcing the air inside the watch. The pressure in the chamber is hold
- The watch is lowered in the bottom half of the chamber and the pressure is released. If any air got inside during the test it will escape as bubbles.

The water never gets inside the watch and there is little risk of damage. Honestly I don't know the different ways phones hold water outside there systems because they use special mesh to hold water outside by taking advantage of the different sizes of the molecules. But it could be worth a shoot.

Here is a video on youtube about them named "Water resistance watch test with pressure tester". 

Thanks for your time and have a nice day.
Freddy A.

Seems really small pc for what it says: AOOSTAR GOD78 CYBER AMD 7840HS MINI PC. mabye intrersing as a mobile gaming setup??? because it only draws 100W's

Screenshot 2023-11-07 224917.png

How Cold is TOO cold for a laptop?

It's getting into the winter seasons for the north, sometimes I take my laptop home from work for the weekend but I don't need it. So it stays in the car, shut down. In the freezing temperatures of the night. Only to be turned on Monday morning. The body is cold to the touch, so this got me wondering. What does happen to a laptop if you leave it in the car. If it goes down to -20°C. Does the liquid crystals start to "freeze?"

How deeply tested are laptop manufacturers claimed of operating temperature? Do you get better performance or does the CPU/GPU heat up the heat sinks too quickly for it to matter.

Just seen a video by Karl Jobst on YouTube about possible pumping and dumping of prices for classic video games at auction, thought it might make a god WAN show topic?

What happened to this video idea where you spill coke onto a bunch of laptops and test their repairability?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

How to build a cheap home plex server to supply a household

Current application is within an old house with poor wifi connection despite having multiple Wi FI boosters

for this year's black friday/cyber monday stream (assuming there is one)

compare last year's sale price to this year and you are only allowed to spec a PC on parts which are better priced this year compared to last year.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Can we put Apple's 8GB to the test... I know it will be hard to do a comparable tests testing apples to Apple(s), either it's enlightning, or it puts Apple on notice.

Gaming with an nvidia L40/L40s. Is it possible? I don't know, but it has video out unlike sxm options. Is it expensive and ludicrous, unabashedly not a reasonable gaming option? Yes, and that's why we deserve it! 

The other problem off hand might be tdp, but c'mon, there's a way! (I hope) 

My buddy got bored and checked what his old 1070 is worth on eBay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/182294147177?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tjWeZJKaRQO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=7bW0W1G5R6C&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Something definitely seems fishy. He found another one with similarly ridiculous pricing. What gives?

Linus looks through the craziest/ most random purchases made through LTT amazon affiliate links.

My older son passed this along to me and it is appalling.  We've been an Android family forever, but I'm seriously beginning to weigh moving to IOS.  Can someone finally call out Google for their insane ADHD with apps and products?  I have been frustrated with them, but honestly I didn't realize it was this bad until I read this excerpt my son sent me.

Googe Wallet (2011) became Android Pay (2015) became Google Pay (2018) became Google Wallet (2022), except in some places. Also, except in the US (and maybe elsewhere?) where Google Pay is still around but just to send money between people.

Google Talk (2005) and Google+ Messenger (2011) sort of became Google Hangouts (2013), which was part of Google+ (2011) which became Hangouts (2013), which became both Duo (2016) and Allo (2016) but then during both Duo and Allo became Hangouts Meet (2019) and Hangouts Chat (2019) which became Google Meet (2017 -- Yes, Hangouts Meet was still around) and Google Chat (2017 -- Yes, Hangouts Chat was still around). Google Allo died in 2018 and Duo died in 2022.
Inbox (2015) became a better gmail Android app than gmail actually was. Inbox discontinued in 2019 with the advertisement that gmail integrated Inbox's features (it didn't add most of them). This spawned other 3rd party gmail handling apps to take its place.

Google Play Music (2011) podcasts split into Google Podcasts (2018) stopped having releases in 2021 and rolled up/is rolling up into YouTube Music (2015). Google Play Music became YouTube Music in 2020.

Right now there's even Android Auto and Android Automotive simultaneously to pretty much do the same thing but are not the same. Android Automotive itself exists as Android Automotive with Google Automotive Services and also as Android Automotive without Google Automotive Services.

Android Auto for Phone Screens was replaced with Google Assistant's driving mode.

There are many, many, many more crazy branding issues but I just don't feel like continuing. Google has also killed at least 54 hardware lines, 59 apps and 210 services.

Please explain to PC users how Steam has become safe file four developers and is starting to become CPU intensive.