Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Samsung makes Micro LED tvs. currently the only thing available is "The Wall" which is 110 inches.

The thing is, its made up of smaller panels that connect together instead of one big one. Maybe Samsung could send you an individual panel for you to game on.

This might be the first "micro LED" gaming tv that you could try. IDK how big each panel is, maybe they are 30-40 inches but it would make for a fascinating video and a sneak peek at this technology. 

LED display design

Hi,

I have an idea for a video. Challenge a local computer shop. Vs prebuilts or yourselves.

With a set budget and watch the shop build it and critique the build process.

As a shop myself I would be up for the challenge to show what local tech shops can do.

Thanks

Graham

On 3/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, Grimshaw said:

SCRAPYARD WARS 9

I know Luke said recently he thinks everything has been done with Scrapyard Wars but I have an idea..

Scrapyard Wars 9: One red paperclip edition.

The most challenging test yet for our heroes!

Each team starts with a single stick of ram and must trade up til they have a working computer than can run a modern game TBD.

Each team can use their influence and celebrity in person (no social media posts etc) and they have a longer time frame than usual. (1 to 2 weeks)

Are Luke and Linus up to the task? Can they make use of the kindness of strangers and fans effectively?

Can they build a working PC from a single stick of ram?  

Like this post and stay tuned!

Has anyone at LTT or Floatplane seen this?

I'd like to see a "Last NAS Guide you'll ever need" video.

Similar to the build guide video, but focused on hardware specing, configuring, deploying a home NAS using an TrueNAS or some other free/open source software. LTT does a lot of networking videos, but they all assume some foundaitonal knowledge, and I don't think there are any for somebody who's inexperienced to learn how to actually deploy one.

Followup videos could also include how to expand your NAS with certain functionality, such as working as a cloud serve (dropbox type functionality), acting as a home assistant controller, etc.

Please do this. I'm tired of my 7 year old synology, and it's hard to find good info. 

Can you please review the Heavys headphones when they ship? I backed them on Kickstarter and could send mine if needed.

That is once I get them.

8 hours ago, Grimshaw said:

Has anyone at LTT or Floatplane seen this?

It is a good idea but I don't know if they would consider it because regular scrapyard wars really screwed up their recording/editing workflow and that was only a couple days of recording, so imagine what a week or two of filliming would do to their workflow. This would also mess up Luke and the floatplane team's workflow because Luke now works at floatplane not lmg so 2 weeks of constant recording would mess their workflow up. Also I am pretty sure linus and Luke are not really for using their status to get deals on things. And don't forget the opportunity cost of shooters shooting a single series that not their entire fan base/following would watch since scrapyard wars ended before they had a huge growth in following and subscribers. This could work/be a reality for a smaller creator. But for how big lmg and floatplane are right now it doesn't make sense. Also they already tried bring scrapyard wars back and it didn't work. Its called "teach showdown" all the episodes are still on their chanel.Great idea though,I liked how it flipped the script of scrapyard wars.

I would like to see a video on how to, or why aren't there...

...any android phones where you can hold the phone in portrait mode and take real landscape pics and videos. I tried an app that faked it, and it sucked. I should be able to hold my phone in portrait mode and simply press an on-screen toggle to make it actually record in whichever mode I want.

I think LTT should delve into why this isn't a hardware feature on smartphones.

BTW, did I mention portrait videos suck for 80% of situations? For me, anyhow.

On 4/12/2023 at 5:04 PM, jrewmaster said:

It is a good idea but I don't know if they would consider it because regular scrapyard wars really screwed up their recording/editing workflow and that was only a couple days of recording, so imagine what a week or two of filliming would do to their workflow. This would also mess up Luke and the floatplane team's workflow because Luke now works at floatplane not lmg so 2 weeks of constant recording would mess their workflow up. Also I am pretty sure linus and Luke are not really for using their status to get deals on things. And don't forget the opportunity cost of shooters shooting a single series that not their entire fan base/following would watch since scrapyard wars ended before they had a huge growth in following and subscribers. This could work/be a reality for a smaller creator. But for how big lmg and floatplane are right now it doesn't make sense. Also they already tried bring scrapyard wars back and it didn't work. Its called "teach showdown" all the episodes are still on their chanel.Great idea though,I liked how it flipped the script of scrapyard wars.

you make good points

I guess it will float out in the ether 🙂

thanks for the lead on Teach showdown!

Hello everyone. I have an interesting topic and I think it would be very interesting for other users. I have an Asus laptop. A TUF Gaming A17. So far I'm happy with it. But I noticed something that I find quite annoying. It's about the drivers and the software. When using the original ASUS drivers and software I am quite limited. And I have less performance etc than when I use the official AMD programs/drivers. For example, there is privacy software from AMD that I could use. Works fine until Windows updates again. Then everything is overwritten again. Defective software etc is the problem. Asus does not offer the software itself. Microsoft keeps downloading the Asus drivers. But they are much worse. Very unfortunate and annoying. If you are interested in the topic and need more information, I will be happy to help. Best regards from Germany, Björn

Hi LTT team,

I have possible solution for Linus Pool 

In Czechia/Czech Republic Is company (WEDOS) that using in Its datacenters servers submerged in farmaceutic oil (~2€/L) this oil circulating to heat exchanger (oil->water) and the warm water is used to heat public Pool. 

This approach reduce noise because you don't need fans in server and heat in server room with reducing cost for climatization.

Hello,

In the past, you made a video exploring the attempt to exploit Google storage using a business account with 5 users. The video discussed how Google prevented this by throttling the speeds to an unusable extent.

Now, Google has made a similar move with their original Google Pixel. The company originally offered customers the ability to upload pictures with full quality for life. However, it has become increasingly slow to upload photos with this feature, rendering the phone almost useless.

If you own a Pixel, you may want to remove this feature and upload via paid methods, but unfortunately, there is no choice. This is a terrible situation because it is a clear example of bad faith to offer a service, then render it useless after customers have relied on it.

In light of this issue, a video would be helpful in showcasing this problem and bringing attention to the issue. It is important to highlight how companies like Google can lure customers in with attractive offers only to later handicap them, making it imperative to be more transparent about their policies and services.

Hi!

2 years ago you made the video "WHY do I pay Adobe $10K a YEAR!?"

It would be cool to see an update video on if Resolve and Affinity could replace the Adobe workflow as many other YouTubers now are switching to Resolve. Corridor Digital has also been able to create advanced motion graphics templates in Resolve now that is easy to use for their editors. Maybe a collaboration with them could be cool. Resolve 18 seems really good and Affinity has just launched major updates for their software also now. I am myself a Premiere guy but after I helped a friend out on a project recent I have started to like Resolve more and more. But Resolve do need some good plugins with it to get the most out of it.

MrAlexTech´s plugins Magic Animate and Magic Zoom are fantastic and free!

In Germany, there is hardly any other router than a Fritzbox.

On your channel, you show many other options.

Why is Germany the country of Fritzboxes? Are they any good compared to other routers?

Anyone using the new FTTH network (CityFibre) in the UK will most likely be using Fritzboxe routers as well.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I would LOVE a video about creating a low cost cloud gaming setup/cloud PC setup. 

I've tried using parsec but the missing microphone passthrough really messes things up. 

It would be cool to create a way to just open your notebook etc and not have the notebooks home screen in front of you but the home screen of your remote desktop PC. 

I came across a really scummy practice that could use some highlighting, if this kind of thing hasn't been covered already.  I'm not sure what rules there are here for "name and shame" so I'll leave out the vendor for now.  You can PM me about it, or if someone tells me it's ok I'll edit it in.

Through a work client, I came across an Amazon seller that sells "upgraded" name brand laptops and PCs at a premium markup.  They put in more RAM or bigger drives, generally.  The scummy part: They're taking out the quality parts that came in the original, like a Samsung NVMe, and replacing it with a random, never-hesrd-of junk tier brand with a higher capaciity.  It's not even consistent, it seems to be they just grab whatever cheap stuff they have lying around.  Client that bought a batch of about 20 has had 3 of them see total failure in less than 6 months.

Even worse is how they do RAM "upgrades.". They take out the high quality RAM, often with decent speed, and replace it with mismatched vendor and speed RAM.  You may get a laptop with two RAM sticks, each from a different vendor, and each running at different speeds.  Again it seems like they have piles of random discard RAM, and only lóok at the size to do "upgrades," while they také out the much higher quality parts and presumably resell those for a profit by other means

Premium priced "upgrades" that are really downgrades with a high chance of part failure in under a year.  Preying on the general population that only really "knows" to look at drive or RAM capacity/size.

Hi from Scotland- the Ryzen 7 7800x3d has just launched in the UK.  The price is roughly x3 compared with Canada and the US.  I would love to see content on this and the answer why as this is very common with CPUs and GPUs.  Btw Sarah is great.  

Just watched Linus talking about malware infected Android TV boxes. How about security cameras connected to our wifi - could they be collecting data on our networks and sending it out? How about the phone based apps for those cameras?

I've been thinking about how long the WAN Show has become, and while I love it, Linuss' comment about adding another workflow to the show makes sense.

What would the situation look like is capping the amount of merch messages during a WAN Show and adding a second "channel/show" that is purely answering or reacting to merch messages. No prewritten topics just cleaning up the messages!

So, two seperate video ideas, one for probably a Tech Quickie, one for MAYBE LTT although I'm not sure.

Firstly, I think a video on the security implications, privacy concerns, etc, on Test Proctoring and/or work software that basically looks at everything your computer is doing to determine if you're doing what they want you to and nothing else, would be very interesting and potentially eye opening, particularly as an investagitve journalism style video. Also has a great amount of possibility for clickbait, which I know is important. "Is your privacy being invaded?!?!", grab the easiest sponsor from privacy.com you've ever gotten and bada bing bada boom. I think it'd be good to see.

The tech-quickie like idea is "Why do games only use so many cores?" I already know a lot of the reason, but what I don't understand is why when I'm playing a game like late-game vampire survivors thats just absolutely DEVOURING every core it has its hands on, why my computer seems to still use those devoured cores for, like, chrome. I have a 5950x and a 3080ti, and a good vampire survivors run still gets my youtube to automatically lower video quality, despite other parts of the system (like, including wonky things like 3DS Emulators) all work perfectly fine and exceedingly responsively. I'm at like 9% total CPU usage and a mere 3% utilization for GPU. I really don't get why windows just HAS to use those cores, and would love it for a tech quickie. I think lots of others would likely have the same suggestion, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for reading this!

CPU.png

Ran across a Reddit post of a family that had a house fire on Easter Sunday. They lost everything, and he had posted about salvaging his CPU and SSD for a future rebuild when they could afford it… People on the thread are chipping in to ship hardware from around the world! This could be a really cool video if LMG offered to help rebuild the machine.

Maybe this has been asked / covered already (I did a quick search of the channel, but didn't find anything), but a video (probably a FAP) about what the most important settings to adjust for games would be interesting. Things such as Anti-Aliasing, Motion Blur, etc. Sort of a "What's it do? What should it be set to? (generally)" type of video. It's been a while since I've been into actually gaming with my PC, so I don't remember what all the settings should be.

Video suggestion for doing a collab with TheStockGuy. Only fair for Linus to make up for the "leftist" PC by building a "capitalist" PC. Maybe throw in a streaming setup overhaul for the #412 streamer on Twitch...