Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I challenge Luke and Linus to use core 2 quad CPUs for 2 weeks, but Linus can still use a newer CPU for vr stuff. (Also the os has to be W11)

"No, THIS is the CLEANEST setup" is the 11th best performing video on LTT. It's also been 3 years since the release of that video. I'd love to see a refresh and some commentary on eGPUs in the modern era. 

10 hours ago, NoahVale said:

"No, THIS is the CLEANEST setup" is the 11th best performing video on LTT. It's also been 3 years since the release of that video. I'd love to see a refresh and some commentary on eGPUs in the modern era. 

I have seen you in yerstday's wan show.

I could use some help with a new PC build, would make an interesting video!

So I'm currently looking at upgrading my aging i7 8700k and GTX 1080Ti.  I'm wanting to go with a small compact ITX case, as I'll be using it for lans.

(EDIT: I'm actually happy with my i7 8700k.  still holds up remarkably well, and i normally wouldnt bother upgrading it, but if im going to buy new motherboard and ram to fit in an ITX case, then I may as well upgrade)

Prior to the RTX 40 reveal i found the perfect case. The Hyte Revolt 3.  Small, compact, can fit a full size GPU, looks great, and has a heavy duty metal handle on the top.  Its a LAN goers dream.

https://hyte.com/revolt3

Now though, im considering an RTX 4090 GPU.

So for the video idea, I'm curious what are the smallest compact cases you guys can come up with that will fit an RTX 4090, and wont cause airflow issues. 

I'm actually curious if the Hyte Revolt 3 can fit one of these in there.  Perhaps maybe an Aorus Waterforce edition??  Either way I'd love for you guys to explore case options for air cooled and liquid cooled cards.

2 Ideas I have for future video idea's:

How to build the ultimate Home cinema Rack?
-Home theater pc
-Reciever
-Apple TV

-Playstation/X-Box/Sega/...
-Cable management 
-Nas
-using server rack for fitting everything in

Build the ultimate waste pc:
Only use scrap parts to build the case, water-cooling, fans, ...
Like use home radiator, living room cooling fan, copper tubing, ....

Saw the Friday stream (11/15/22) and would be great to have Yvonne craft tips like she did with the cricut machine but with whatever paint sprayer (hello DIY furniture restoration) and have unboxing!  Also would love to see other staff's reactions / trials with it!

Looking forward to unboxing and review of photo printer too!! #YvonneCraftTips

Do a video about soundcards and audio interfaces.

Have been looking for a new power-efficient build gaming-workstation rig. Would like to have comparison of power consumption of the CPUs between AMD 7000 and intel gen 13. I always play in 75fps maxed settings that my gpu can handle because my monitor is only 1080p 75fps. My rig right now is 3700x and 1660 super and pull in total of 170 watts in intensive gaming

Hello, This is based on the discussion of the video Linus mentions in the WAN show from 11/24/2022.  He mentions a sponsored video with SolidWorks designing a home theater cabinet.  May I recommend looking into Salamander designs for inspiration or comparison.  They focus on high quality home theater cabinets with proper airflow and high customization.  Based on the pricing their products typically fall in I would be interested to see if you create something comparable at a lower cost.  I work with a lot of top end brands and I love when someone can DIY something of equal or better quality or a better experience,  Or even products at lower costs that I can recommend to people. 

Thanks,

Jacob

Salamader Designs.PNG

11 hours ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

I have seen you in yerstday's wan show.

Hahahah yes you have. I am using all avenues for this message. It needs to be heard

Hi all. I've tried to search about this topic to see if it's already been covered but I was unable to find anything.

Anyway, WD kicked out SN740 lineup of m.2 drives. Within that lineup is 2tb 2230 drive. Something what Micron 2400 series promised but I never saw it on sale.

This WD option looks good upgrade for Asus X13 flow, steam deck or surface tablets. Would be nice if You could make comparison between Micron and WD (if you can get your hands on them), and/or WD with other 2230 drives (of similar size). Duel of DRAMless drives.

Best regards from Croatia!

23 hours ago, NoahVale said:

Hahahah yes you have. I am using all avenues for this message. It needs to be heard

Yes, that's true

I was thinking, after (I think) Linus mentioned EGPU on Wan show lately, I went and looked at the current information on the channel. And it was all verry vage and fairly old. I know the performance and usability greatly depends on the tasks at hand but I would love to get to know more about the usecases and performance the LMG could come up with regarding that sepcific tech.

It is quite niche but I believe that it's also interesting enough to reach an audience interested in alternatives and in today's world where more and more Riley's try to lower their footprint ;), how realistic is it to actually run an ultrabook as a daily driver with an egpu as home base with monitor, networking, keyboard, mouse and probably headset linked to it?

How does then the performance look?(I've found conflicting information online...)

I personaly am a student and can't afford a gaming pc and a laptop but studying in the engineering field I want a 2in1 whith which I can also take notes. A usecase which otherwise in mathematical topics absolutely sucks... And have been looking at it as a compromise between buying 2 different machines or a gaming laptop and an Ipad(personally not a fan of apple and don't want to be stuck in their ecosystem) which would in both cases still run more expensive, than getting a relatively inexpensive gpu and a razer core from ebay + a 2in1...

Those little portable ice maker machine thingy's that you don't really use much anymore. So....What if...You use the refrigeration parts within it for PC cooling. Maybe not direct CPU cooling, which of course is where our minds take us with this idea, but.....cooling the case and internals instead. Climate control if you will?

3 2 1 Storage and shared drive help!!!

Hello, this something i have been trying to figure out but cannot. Following the 3, 2, 1 rule for data storage can be a pain and expensive if you use a cloud service. What i am trying to do is setup my entire family by making two (external hard drives to start) NAS and plugging one into the usb port of my homes wifi router and the other into my mothers.

The goal would be to have partitions for each person show up as shared drives on there network while on the weekend their PCs do a back up to the NAS (deleting the old version) and the NAS from house would back up to the others.

Is there anyone that could help me test this with some USB drives for now and could there please be an indepth video created by Linus showing step by step hjow to do this?

On 11/27/2022 at 1:08 AM, JacobsPhotography said:

Hello, This is based on the discussion of the video Linus mentions in the WAN show from 11/24/2022.  He mentions a sponsored video with SolidWorks designing a home theater cabinet.  May I recommend looking into Salamander designs for inspiration or comparison.  They focus on high quality home theater cabinets with proper airflow and high customization.  Based on the pricing their products typically fall in I would be interested to see if you create something comparable at a lower cost.  I work with a lot of top end brands and I love when someone can DIY something of equal or better quality or a better experience,  Or even products at lower costs that I can recommend to people. 

Thanks,

Jacob

Salamader Designs.PNG

If you are planning something with Solidworks, could you please look into running the same 'thing', with exactly the same hardware, except one with a Geforce and one with a Quadro card?

I have worked for 2 years as an engineer in a compagny that was only started a couple of years before I joined. Everything that we did was with Solidworks, all on Geforce. But there were days, Solidworks could crash ones every (half) hour. 

The easiest thing people are saying is, ow you use Geforce, you need to buy a Quadro. But no one has done a side by side comparison as far as I know of.

And I think there are lots of other factors that could be the cause of these crashes. For instance: we did a lot with sheet metal and with releases in 2018/2019 there were a couple of very nice new features, that would make our work a lot easier and faster. So we rushed into installing every new version as soon as it was available. 

But a lot of new versions were not ready to be released I think, and because a lot (maybe all) of the new versions are not compatible with the versions of the year before, a lot of compagnies (with money for quadros) stay several years on the same version, to be as compatible as possible for all there employees and people outside there compagnies that also use older versions.

So, that also means that they have all the service packs after one year, and probably running more stable versions then people that are running Quadro's

The experience that I have had with Solidworks is that after service pack 2-3, the beta test is over. But it could be that this is not always the case I had just bad luck with massive changes in code or complete rewrite of renderer. Also not having a lot of memory (8GB, no error correction), or working from a samba share from a Synology DS214j (or something like that) did not help I expect.

But how else could they have started, just after finishing high school, with little money, license fee of €7000 to get started, and €2000 each year to get new version and support. They started with 4 people, so that's 4 x €9000 = €36000, only for Solidworks license, and I believe that was also the standard version. And then they expect from you that you also get Quadro cards to run the software, while lots of newer Cad software not even mention Quadro cards or the need for it.

Also creating a setup for a small (engineering) startup business on a budget would be a fun and educational subject for a video. Especially trying to get remote access to Solidworks running without paying for PDM/Vault. I know that using OpenVPN --> samba share --> solidworks assembly, even on the smallest assembly's is a nightmare.

this one is a bit different from most ltt videos. lovesac.com has a modular couch that is customizable and in my opinion really cool. they offer some integrated speaker systems into the couch as an add on and there is not much info out there as to what the sound quality is like. figured LMG could use a new couch for the office anyway. 

Not really PC related but it's an online utility and kinda cool: wikitree. I think it's fair to say most viewers have family and might be interested to discover unknown relatives.

I know about Linus' concerns about DNA privacy, but the site doesn't require DNA (though it welcomes it) and has various privacy settings to keep stuff private until after your death. 

The goal is to crowd-source a global family tree in a wiki-fashion. I think thats a good idea for as long as all currently living people can limit privacy. 

Promoting f@h turned out well, so this might too.

The current stats show 30 million profiles (mostly North America) curated by 1 million people. 90% of profiles are linked to the global tree, so everyone in it can see how many steps it is to the President, Queen Elisabeth or Kim Kardashian. It's usually no more than 30.

Please invest in an efficient PSU with >90%.  My favourite is Seasonic, but quality>brand

Heyo,
here is a video idea that could be interesting. I have recently cleared my attic and came accross 3 old laptops (10+ years old) and had a thought about e-waste. There is a lot that could go into it. What parts of old electronics can be reused, what to do with "ancient tech" and so on.
I know the idea is super vague, but just in case. I have searched the channel in case it has been done before and a few videos are 5+ years old, so it could use a refresh course 🙂
Have a great day!

With the rise in the home office and our freedom to now make our work place as we want, some good setup tips on what makes a good desktop setup (ergonomics, screen mounts, desks, chairs etc). Could be for if you have a laptop of a case.

int getRandomNumber() {

return 4;

}

I think a video over all the smartwatches on the market would be cool, especially with the Apple Ultra, Garmin Finex, Samsung Watch, Pixel Watch, and the Amazfit GTR 4.

I'd love to see some reviews on less traditional SFF computer systems/components such as the Geekon Tinymonster or boards with top mounted PCIE slots like the JW-B660i-P/JW-H610i-P

spacer.png