Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

With just how power-hungry computers have gotten it's been harder and harder to create a no-compromises small form factor PC with off-the-shelf parts. This dilemma led me to try and create a 7L watercooled computer case capable of housing an RTX 4090. I think it would be really cool to see how the team could take advantage of this concept and create a no-compromises ITX build.

SFF 1.png

SFF 2.png

On 11/15/2022 at 4:35 AM, AMCKC said:

How about best Free or bang for buck one click wifi blocker. Ie Quickly punish the kids

100% illegal. (In the US.)

A video that discovers just how far back you can go in terms of PC hardware to be able to play modern games at 1080p 60+ fps. (And what generation of hardware is currently cheapest to accomplish that goal.)

I'm interested in how yall could put together a mini-ITX computer these days. We're in an interesting period where hardware prices are decreasing, and it would be rad to see how much power you can pack into a tiny package. Especially if this was like a ~$1500 targeted build or something. As in, someone wanting a desktop without the bulk of normal desktop builds

Have two viewers build computers with parts in your inventory. Best builder wins a prize. Sort of like scrapyard wars.

I miss Scrapyard Wars. I do. And I've been watching a lot of Batman lately--RIP Kevin Conroy. And when I was watching Batman Beyond and staring at the little sleeper i7-6700T in an ancient HP slimline case, the idea of Scrapyard Beyond hit me. Linus and Luke have a lot of things to do that prevent them from going out and filming Scrapyard Wars, and also they'd be recognized instantly, but what about a couple of less-known employees doing it? With Linus and Luke working with them at the office on strategy, and being the geriatric Bruce Wayne voice in their ear once they're out negotiating deals?

Just something that I thought sounded like fun, if there was any interest in reviving Scrapyard Wars.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

i'd like to see things like disabling high precision event timer, enabling msi mode for nvidia drivers etc.

people get higher fps with hpet disabled but since it can mess up with the fps counters the data might not be valid anymore. since you have the labs now, you can probably make an accurate comparison with external fps monitoring. it would be nice to know if disabling hpet is actually snake-oil or not lol 😄 and i'd like to see it's impact on input lag more than the fps numbers, if it actually does anything...

can we actually improve our performance by changing some default settings like these? engineers are trying to optimize stuff and improve performance all the time so it kinda seems unlikely that these would actually work but who knows? maybe they just keep those defaults for legacy compatibility or something and if you don't need em u might get some performance?

also it should include cpus/gpus from multiple generations and brands imo. it might affect them differently. like maybe it hurts the performance on 1st gen ryzen but improves it on the 5000series etc?

The Runescape servers have been offline for nearly 10 hours and are expected to remain down for another 18 hours, because of a power failure at a data centre.  I'd love to see a video about how much economic impact this will have on the Venezuelans and others who rely on Runescape to make a living.  You could even reach out to Jagex to see if they will relay the type of changes/upgrades this will result in.  

Comparison of anti- static mats, wrist straps... things like build quality, performance (does that grounding plug attachment really work?) maybe some theory as to why they needed (Why does a mat have to have high resistance, if the thing is grounded?)

I have an electric scooter and a workstation pc. I take both too and from my home and office (when I decide to work from the office), plug the scooter in to charge and plug my workstation  into a dock on both ends. My job involves heavy simulation and large sets of data hence a pc rather than laptop. I think it would be cool to fit my computer into my electric scooter and just plug that in. 

I would love to see LTT to do a video on making a escooter gaming machine for lan partys etc. maybe even a competition with a scooter race and a heavy benchmark, Fastest overall time wins. Picking parts that are rugged and not likely to break on the daily commute will be especially interesting. 

You guys should make a Video of AtlasOS.

Its basicly windows10 but soo much cleaner, No bloatware removal tool can even get close to the idle usage on AtlasOS.

AtlasOS is the true Windows we all need..

I mean an i3-7100U  4Gb  

Idling at 0% CPU and 0,8GB ( 20% )  Usage.

Try that on any none AtlasOS Windows Install cleaned or not and you will fail misarably.

Lets make it big and hopefully make a statement to MS.

Its Windows thats basicly on par With Linux one Idle usage....

Ive never heard of AtlasOS..... Interesting... I think this is a good idea. Im gonna give it a try!

I second this. Please do this too. 

Longest upgrade path possible.

Storytelling it by either going from new to old hardware, or from old to new, you could see how components continued to be supported and upgradeable. Not only hardware, but also software.

It could be an interesting series with yearly follow-ups (although it could collide with the "PC Buyer's Guide" series).

While looking into if it was done before, I've found that the user "Retrocet" on Reddit documented his build and upgrades through time, which is very cool.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I was just going through some of my old pc parts and I have a nvidia GeForce 2mx. 

Would you guys want it to show how much graphics have changed since the year 2000? 

Holiday sales tech parts that are good and affordable

Probably best as a SHORT or Channel Super Fun:

Scrapyard Wars, small business edition!

Benchmarks:
Google Chrome Email
Compile a large Java Project

1080p or larger VLC video playback

3D printer Slicer computation

Autocad Simulation test for screwdriver ratchet durability.

Go as cheap as possible for STEM creatives and small business owners to shop for a PC or laptop that can do everything they need.

Some businesses cannot shell out $300 for a new i3 computer and 2tb HDD.

Some students are already on tons of financial aid.

Let's do some work instead of playing and see how low one can go!

Price to performance.

You'd be surprised at how some computers chug on having 3~ chrome tabs open for google images, youtube, g mail, and maybe a PDF.

It takes too dang long to build a PC, even with the new LTT Screwdriver.. How about you do a scrap PC build competition but with electric impacts to see what kind of world record you can get in PC building.

Not a review but a collab with Datto from youtube, he said he would like too.

not sure if already suggested, but would love to see thermals on a CPU and Heatsink that are smooth enough to be Wrung together like Mechanical engineering precision blocks..

Hi,

I think that I may have a pretty interesting idea for a video. Inspired by the recently-popular floating light bulbs, I thought about a levitating gaming PC that uses neodymium magnets.

At first I came out with an idea of using slip rings to transfer power and data, so that the cables wouldn't get tangled and the PC could spin freely. After more thinking, though, I realised that the build could be completely wireless. 

Of course this idea would necessitate more research, but this is what I found thus far:

- when it comes to power transfer, I found "plug and play" industrial modules working in a similar way as QI chargers, that can support up to 3000W 1cm wireless power transfer. The company I found is called 'Unplugged', but I am sure it is not the only one to produce such tech.

- when it comes to video signal, there is the "PeakDo Wireless HDMI" covered by Linus Tech Tips channel. To ensure a good connection, one end could be placed in the rig and one in the base, which would be connected to the monitor.

- as far as I know, wifi and bluetooth signal shouldn't be affected by the spin of the PC.

- as for the neodymium magnets themselves, they should be able to support the weight of all components with ease and any electromagnetic interference should be minimal (from my research, 3 cm of airspace between any component and magnets themselves is plenty enough)

All of this basically accounts for wireless: power delivery; video output; audio, keyboard and mouse output via bluetooth; wifi. (I hope I did not forget about anything lol.)  

The computer itself could be a sheet of metal with motherboard, processor and discs on one side, and PSU, graphics card and cooling unit on the other (I am thinking about something like a distro plate from EK), vertically welded to a round disc with neodymium magnets in it. The second part would be the base with neodymium magnets, wireless power delivery module and potentially the PeakDo reciever inside. I think that a levitating, water-cooled open rig, like this one, would be nothing less than SICK.

Of course it is not a build without compromises, but it is something that can actually work. The solution itself does not seem to be astronomically expensive too (with wireless power transfer being the biggest limiting factor). One is certain, it would surely be something completely new!

I would be more than happy if someone took this idea into consideration :))

Best regards to the Tech Tips team and community!!!!!

Peter

29 minutes ago, PeterDesigns said:

- as for the neodymium magnets themselves, they should be able to support the weight of all components with ease and any electromagnetic interference should be minimal (from my research, 3 cm of airspace between any component and magnets themselves is plenty enough)

For info you need way more than "just magnets" to do this, these floating light bulbs need active closed-loop electromagnets and sensors to keep the thing in the right place. 

Gonna be hugely complex to design something fully custom that's workable with something several kgs and potentially not well balanced. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

For info you need way more than "just magnets" to do this, these floating light bulbs need active closed-loop electromagnets and sensors to keep the thing in the right place. 

Gonna be hugely complex to design something fully custom that's workable with something several kgs and potentially not well balanced. 

To be honest I did not realise that it might be so complex. I am aware that placing two magnets on top of each other won’t make the top one levitate and be stable, but two rings with slightly different diameters (the top one being smaller) should prevent the thing from ’slipping’. Those bulbs are so complex, because there is very small space in the cap itself to hause both the power recieving coil and magnets that won’t interfere with the ’power transfer’. Here, the size is actually something that might help.

The most important things to notice is that supporting the bulb and sending the power is done by two seperate components. There is a cool video by a youtube channel „What’s inside”, where it is visible that the bulb itself actually houses one normal magnet and a separate coil recieving power connected to a very small circuit - nothing more.

The thing that might be more problematic is the balance. On the other hand, though, this does not need to be 100% balanced to work. In my opinion, again, the size and weight is an advantage, because small differences in weight distribution won’t lead to huge instability. Aditionally, with a wide base, there is a higher possibility to fine-tune the placement of counter-balance. 

Of course this project is not a walk in a park, but all I am trying to point out is that it might not be as hard as it may seem on the first sight, and I certainly think that harder things were done on the LTT channel.

Aditionally, I think that this really would be an interesting project, both to make and watch. I would love to make it on my own, but unfortunatelly the resources needed are not really avalible where I live and it would cost me twice as much to try and complete such a project.

Nevertheless, I am still very thankful for the reply. It is quite possible that I underestimate the work needed for something like this, in which case, please, accept my apologies. All I am asking for is not to give up on this project that fast, as it might really be a banger if proved feasible.

Best regards :)))

I challenge Luke and Linus to use core 2 quad CPUs for 2 weeks, but Linus can still use a newer CPU for vr stuff. (Also the os has to be W11)

"No, THIS is the CLEANEST setup" is the 11th best performing video on LTT. It's also been 3 years since the release of that video. I'd love to see a refresh and some commentary on eGPUs in the modern era.