Seasonic Focus 650w or Gigabyte 750W?

Drea
Go to solution Solved by --SID--,

Get https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1331692/enermax-revolution-d-punt-f-650-watt.html from Alternate. Better than Seasonic Focus GX and much better than Gigabyte GP GM.

When 550w is enough https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1182867/corsair-rm550x-2018-eu-model-zwart.html has a crazy price at Megekko. https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1442128/fractal-design-ion+-660w-platinum.html is also amazing at that same store if you can wait a few days for delivery.

Hi everyone,

Short and simple: Seasonic Focus GX-650 or Gigabyte GP-P750GM? Exact same price. One seems much higher quality but the other has 100w more and both are gold/full modular.

It's for a 3070 and Ryzen 3600, possibly in the future something like a 5800x.

Thank you!

PD: the seasonic has 10 year warranty instead of 5.

Seasonic is a well known, long lived PSU supplier. They've been doing it since virtually the beginning, hence the 10 year warranty. That doesn't mean the Gigabyte is bad. More likely than not it's just a rebrand of some other manufacturer's PSU anyways. But, Seasonic is pretty much always going to be the safest bet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

11 minutes ago, Drea said:

but the other has 100w more

And also blows up spectacularly if works at all. If these two are your only options then go for Seasonic.

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Seasonic is a well known, long lived PSU supplier. They've been doing it since virtually the beginning, hence the 10 year warranty. That doesn't mean the Gigabyte is bad. More likely than not it's just a rebrand of some other manufacturer's PSU anyways. But, Seasonic is pretty much always going to be the safest bet.

Beginning of what ? Rebranded PSU is automatically bad ? What about Seasonic rebrands ? 10 years old warranty isn't that uncommon, does that mean that other PSUs with 10y warranty are equally as good ? What would you rather take, Seasonic S12II/III or Corsair RM-x ? Seasonic perhaps, because it's always the safest bet ? Just LMAO.

I'm not usually a type of person who tells people to shut up, but if you don't know whack about something then maybe it's better to not put your wisdom on the table.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

16 minutes ago, Juular said:

And also blows up spectacularly if works at all. If these two are your only options then go for Seasonic.

Beginning of what ? Rebranded PSU is automatically bad ? What about Seasonic rebrands ? 10 years old warranty isn't that uncommon, does that mean that other PSUs with 10y warranty are equally as good ? What would you rather take, Seasonic S12II/III or Corsair RM-x ? Seasonic perhaps, because it's always the safest bet ? Just LMAO.

I'm not usually a type of person who tells people to shut up, but if you don't know whack about something then maybe it's better to not put your wisdom on the table.

Well, it would help if you actually had reading comprehension, but I'm not here to fight, especially with people who just criticize while offering nothing of value of their own. Good day.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

15 minutes ago, Juular said:

Rebranded PSU is automatically bad

They didn't say that.

They said that is was probably better to be a rebrand.

What would you rather take, Seasonic S12II/III or Corsair RM-x ? Seasonic perhaps, because it's always the safest bet ?

Corsair RM/x is a seasonic focus rebrand iirc, so good seasonic vs bad seasonic.

'm not usually a type of person who tells people to shut up, but if you don't know whack about something then maybe it's better to not put your wisdom on the table.

"I'm not usualpy someone who is lazy, but today I'm going to not read this post, and then be a asshole."

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Corsair RM/x is a seasonic focus rebrand iirc, so good seasonic vs bad seasonic.

No its not........ 

Corsair has one Seasonic rebrand, and its the AX.  (Edit: in the currently sold lineup) 

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

They didn't say that.

Its what is implied. 

39 minutes ago, Drea said:

Short and simple: Seasonic Focus GX-650 or Gigabyte GP-P750GM?

Focus GX is the obvious choice between these two. 

Where you buying? There are likely better unitsn o consider, 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Where you buying? There are likely better unitsn o consider, 

Megekko or Alternate, European retailers. I could also go for a Seasonic B12-BC 650w and save 30 bucks, provided its enough and good quality.

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

They didn't say that.

They said that is was probably better to be a rebrand.

39 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

That doesn't mean the Gigabyte is bad. More likely than not it's just a rebrand of some other manufacturer's PSU anyways.

Sounds kinda implying that if a PSU is rebrand then it's not as good as OEM model isn't it ? That's far from the truth, that's what i'm saying.

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Corsair RM/x is a seasonic focus rebrand iirc

You remember incorrectly.

15 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Well, it would help if you actually had reading comprehension, but I'm not here to fight, especially with people who just criticize while offering nothing of value of their own. Good day.

What value did your post has may i ask ?

- Seasonic the safest bet ? Wrong.

- Gigabyte P-GM is probably isn't bad ? Wrong.

- Eh, it's probably not so good anyway since it's a rebrand ? Wrong to assume that.

- 10 years warranty means that the PSU is good ? Wrong.

Missed something ?

I have an allergy to bullshit but i usually don't dive in to argue. I've snapped this time, i'm sorry, but may i repeat, if all the information you can provide is based off some Youtuber video or something, you'd probably best not to reiterate the bullshit you've heard there.

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its what is implied. 

No it wasn't. I said specifically that does *not* mean the Gigabyte is bad. The fact that it was likely a rebrand, was *why*. I know nothing about the Gigabyte PSU and never claimed to. For all I knew, it might be a Seasonic. That was the point.

I'm always surprised that people feel so motivated to actually comment, but don't make even a basic effort to read what they're commenting on.

3 minutes ago, Drea said:

Megekko or Alternate, European retailers. I could also go for a Seasonic B12-BC 650w and save 30 bucks, provided its enough and good quality.

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/product/MxGnTW/cooler-master-mwe-bronze-v2-550-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-mpe-5501-acaabus

Cheapest id look at

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/product/bqVD4D/corsair-rmx-2018-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

Something thats a pretty nice deal to consider

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Sounds kinda implying that if a PSU is rebrand then it's not as good as OEM model isn't it ? That's far from the truth, that's what i'm saying.

Kind of amazing that you even quoted it and still missed the meaning.

3 minutes ago, Drea said:

I could also go for a Seasonic B12-BC 650w and save 30 bucks, provided its enough and good quality.

I have no idea what the hell is that. A PSU of any brand is not a good pick if there are zero reviews of it, and this is literally first time i hear about it, probably a downgrade of Core (we have no reviews on either) which is downgrade of Focus.

Megekko.nl ? So you're from NL ?

55 minutes ago, Drea said:

Hi everyone,

Short and simple: Seasonic Focus GX-650 or Gigabyte GP-P750GM? Exact same price. One seems much higher quality but the other has 100w more and both are gold/full modular.

It's for a 3070 and Ryzen 3600, possibly in the future something like a 5800x.

Thank you!

PD: the seasonic has 10 year warranty instead of 5.

Since everyone else is arguing, here's my opinions:

The Focus GX650 is excellent, and plenty of wattage for a 3070. There are rumors of Focus units having transient response issues, but I haven't seen a whole lot of substantiated evidence that it's happening on newer revisions as it was mainly a problem with the early units. In short, this one should be fine.

The Gigabyte P750GM is known to be a literal fire hazard. It wouldn't be too bad on paper if Gigabyte hadn't screwed something up in quality control, but the Seasonic would be a better unit anyway.

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I'm always surprised that people feel so motivated to actually comment, but don't make even a basic effort to read what they're commenting on.

To be fair. It was written in a way that made 2+/1+ people think something was implied. 

Its also a general critique of the logic applied to the message presented. 

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Kind of amazing that you even quoted it and still missed the meaning.

Ive read it 4 times over. If i was being really charitable, sure. But generally i dont take that path when trust is entrusted in a brand. 

1 minute ago, Grabhanem said:

The Focus GX650 is excellent, and plenty of wattage for a 3070. There are rumors of Focus units having transient response issues, but I haven't seen a whole lot of substantiated evidence that it's happening on newer revisions as it was mainly a problem with the early units. In short, this one should be fine.

Transient sensetivity was an issue on the pre-fix Focus FX units. And Prime units (of which the amount of affected units is unknown) 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Transient sensetivity was an issue on the pre-fix Focus FX units. And Prime units (of which the amount of affected units is unknown) 

Yep, agreed. I've seen people recommending against the GX-based units for 3080s and 3090s on this forum occasionally, which is why I mentioned it, but I haven't seen anyone show reproducible issues like on the FXs. I assume the Primes are built on the same platform, hence the same issues - is there something hidden in the part number indicating FX vs GX?

Aside, is there just a running curse on products named FX? Geforce 5, Bulldozer, and now first-gen Seasonic Focus all have had widespread issues.

29 minutes ago, Juular said:

probably a downgrade of Core (we have no reviews on either) which is downgrade of Focus.

I take that back, looks completely new, and rather cheap, not the S12III level cheap but still, Japanese primary cap for marketing bullet point and AsiaX secondary ? With a bunch of Nichicons and some polymers here and there to be fair, but still, no reviews - no bueno.

Edit: and looks like no UVP - hard pass.

1 minute ago, Grabhanem said:

is there something hidden in the part number indicating FX vs GX?

FX and GX have indications in the model number with the respected letters. 

No clue if there is any known difference between post-fix and pre-fix  FX units. 

And honestly not suprising people avoiding Seasonic for Ampere given Prime is seemingly still affected. 

Tho could be some aftereffect from the Vega and 970 strix issues. 

Get https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1331692/enermax-revolution-d-punt-f-650-watt.html from Alternate. Better than Seasonic Focus GX and much better than Gigabyte GP GM.

When 550w is enough https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1182867/corsair-rm550x-2018-eu-model-zwart.html has a crazy price at Megekko. https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1442128/fractal-design-ion+-660w-platinum.html is also amazing at that same store if you can wait a few days for delivery.

33 minutes ago, Juular said:

I have no idea what the hell is that. A PSU of any brand is not a good pick if there are zero reviews of it, and this is literally first time i hear about it, probably a downgrade of Core (we have no reviews on either) which is downgrade of Focus.

Megekko.nl ? So you're from NL ?

Belgium (although I'm actually Argentinian). I'm gonna skip that one then, thank you.

16 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

So it's between the Enermax and the Corsair. People say that 550w is normally enough for a 3070, but I think the headroom should help a little bit with efficiency if the little I know is correct.

1 minute ago, Drea said:

So it's between the Enermax and the Corsair. People say that 550w is normally enough for a 3070, but I think the headroom should help a little bit with efficiency if the little I know is correct.

Minimally speaking, it could help a touch. 

Would you regain anything from it, no. 

Tho 650w allows one to be slightly more flexible with GPU upgrades. If you ever wanted to add a rtx 3080

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Tho 650w allows one to be slightly more flexible with GPU upgrades. If you ever wanted to add a rtx 3080

That's not really a concern. My doubt is if the upgrade in quality is worth losing 100w for. I would also save 10 euros, but whats 10 euros more in a $1500 PC?

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I don't think Revo DF 650W will work with RTX3080 tho without downvolting, if that's the plan then i'd suggest looking at 750/850W right away.

24 minutes ago, Juular said:

I don't think Revo DF 650W will work with RTX3080 tho without downvolting, if that's the plan then i'd suggest looking at 750/850W right away.

You should be able to draw from 2 different 12v rails which will allow you to do it.