"People Are Accidentally Buying Stocks With The Name 'Oculus'"

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/people-are-accidentally-buying-stocks-with-the-name-oc-1552319497

CNN reports that following the announcement of the Oculus Rift acquisition by Facebook, stocks belonging Oculus VisionTech (a digital media company) and Oculus Innovative Sciences (a biotechnology company) saw a spike in price thanks to investors who mistook them for the actual Oculus VR company. 

Oculus VisionTech in particular surged nearly 90%, while Oculus Innovative Sciences rose 8%.

This is probably the first piece of positive news that I have seen about the whole Facebook and Oculus thing, and funny enough, it doesn't even involve either companies. Remember kids: Research who you're investing in. 

COMIC SANS

http://kotaku.com/people-are-accidentally-buying-stocks-with-the-name-oc-1552319497

This is probably the first piece of positive news that I have seen about the whole Facebook and Oculus thing, and funny enough, it doesn't even involve either companies. Remember kids: Research who you're investing in. 

Sweet Jesus. 90%? Holy crap that must've been a NICE RIDE. 

Edit: Also, how are these people trusted with money? I mean really. They mistook one company for another purely based on name alone, enough to almost double one companies stock.

... These guys are a special kind of stupid (as I've defined it previously).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Note to self: Name my company something similar to another to confuse shareholders. They're apparently not as smart as the Illuminati conspiracy theorists think they are. Not all of them.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Lucky bastards!

But seriously you are like a Kotaku 'Popular Stories' transfer bot to this forum.

I post whatever pops up in my Facebook feed. If it's Kotaku, then it's Kotaku. If it's somebody else, then it's somebody else. 

COMIC SANS

I post whatever pops up in my Facebook feed. If it's Kotaku, then it's Kotaku. If it's somebody else, then it's somebody else. 

Fair enough, not really digging you for it it saves me bothering to search the web myself, hence my consistent appearances in your threads. ;)

LOL xD

why are you using the devil's services WHY!?!?!?!

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

ha i read there crap aswell, but never bother to post it though or anything really, im just tooooo lazy.

LOL xD

why are you using the devil's services WHY!?!?!?!

Cause I've had it since 2011, before I was aware of what they do. I have too many places liked on there, and it's essentially my RSS feed (too lazy to setup an actual RSS feed). Basically, I don't feel like starting over. If I absolutely have to, I will, but I'd probably just move over to Twitter, since I would be able to get all of my news in a similar fashion there as I do now.

COMIC SANS

Cause I've had it since 2011, before I was aware of what they do. I have too many places liked on there, and it's essentially my RSS feed (too lazy to setup an actual RSS feed). Basically, I don't feel like starting over. If I absolutely have to, I will, but I'd probably just move over to Twitter, since I would be able to get all of my news in a similar fashion there as I do now.

ok then fair enough but i highly recommend moving to twitter, even before facebook became the shit it is, i din't like, probably because i din't want to know when a cousin goes to the vet or random stuff like that, besides twitter is a better alternate to a RSS feed

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Who is stupid enough to invest in Oculus at this point?

Probably the same jackasses that invested in Facebook...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

weren't those the guys that tried to sue oculus  a while back,  I wonder if they now think it was a good idea they had a similar name?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

weren't those the guys that tried to sue oculus  a while back,  I wonder if they now think it was a good idea they had a similar name?

No, you're thinking of Oculu.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

lol That's pretty dumb.

EDIT: As I type this, Linus is checking it out... Future FB post methinks.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Funny stuff. Awesome story. I really needed to see something like this after the horror that has been Oculus for quite a few hours now.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Who is stupid enough to invest in Oculus at this point?

People who think that the cheap oculus shares will be converted one for one to higher valued shares in facebook thus resulting in "easy money",  But clearly anyone dumb enough to not check what shares they are buying is also too dumb to know the market doesn't work that way.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's what happens when you have bots to do your work.

Signatures are stupid.

Not the first time, remember the Twitter IPO?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/5/4805010/twitter-ipo-filing-prompts-mistaken-buying-rush-of-worthless-twtrq

I see your 90% value increase, and raise you 1500%.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

• 2 weeks later...