Brendan Iribes letter to the oculus team.

FileCorrupted

I have been doing some digging about oculus and found this letter to the team at oculus from the manager of product, Brendan Iribe

Team,

As you may have heard this morning, Oculus has agreed to join Facebook.

Facebook shares our vision for connecting a billion people through virtual reality with the power of shared presence.

Oculus will continue to operate independently. We’re staying Oculus, we’re still building the Oculus Rift, our email addresses are remain @oculusvr.com, and most importantly, our hoodies will still say Oculus.

By partnering with Facebook, we’ll be able to build a better product with zero compromises and a focus on growth. We’ll also be investing more heavily in made-for-VR content and exploring other opportunities to accelerate our vision.

In broad strokes, here are a few key points to consider for the long-term strategy:

1. We’re able to tap into Facebook’s experience and backend systems for our platform services. As an added bonus, Oculus now has a rock solid, global payments solution.
2. We’ll be able to leverage Facebook’s recruiting infrastructure, including hiring engineers from within Facebook, to supercharge our recruiting.
3. We can afford to always make the decision that is right for virtual reality and our customers in the long term – we don’t have to make short term compromises.
4. We’re going to invest in additional partnerships to build the best product and platform.

I’ll meet with everyone individually over the next few days to discuss what this means in terms of integration. In the meantime, know that things couldn’t be better.

No team, ever, has had a better shot at delivering on the dream of virtual reality. This will be the team that solves the hardest problems and delivers the final platform. We need you now, more than ever, to go out and find the very best engineers in the world to help us deliver the final platform, the Holodeck.

This is a truly special moment. The work we’ve done has captured the world’s attention and changed the perception of the medium forever. This partnership is a huge affirmation of everything we’ve done. Congratulations, guys.

Now, let’s get back to changing the world.

– Brendan

For me this gives hope and shows me a little of what there plans are for facebooks resources. What do you think

Link: http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/letter-to-the-team-from-brendan-iribe/

still dont like it and will be annoyed, but i have nothing invested as of yet except my dreams of amazing vr...

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Cant wait o see what Luke has to say about this on the WAN show!

I'm certain he's slipped into a deep, foreboding depression.  There may be no words...

I think theirs two goals here for Facebook. 

1. Keep Oculus true to their initial goal - Creating the VR Goggles for the gamer.

Once that is out of the way and the cluster fuck news has passed...

2. Invest into taking over the living room, the work place, the bedroom with a VR experience on not only game levels but anything you can imagine and bring it to the space your in.
I think it is going to be a faster road to the goggles we originally wanted with FB injecting rotten money behind them but I think once we have what we wanted it will go pear shaped and down a darker road.

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

I am willing to believe that Facebook intends to allow Oculus to operate normally for now. Zuckerberg is not an idiot, he doesn't really care if his investments make profit right away. The Rift hasn't been "just a gaming device" for a long time, Oculus has been trying to pull in a ton of venture capitalist money to push the tech even further. There is real potential in VR tech and I doubt Zuckerberg and Facebook paid $2 billion just for another FB interface device. You'd gave to be blind not to see that Facebook won't last forever but right now they pretty much have bottomless pockets so making a long term investment in something that could prove to be a MASSIVE shift in how we interface with out computers is a sound idea. For the near future however they need Oculus to continue operating based on the current ideas and goals of the company. The gaming space is where the first big VR push will be because it's an industry that can easily adapt to supporting it. Completely altering Oculus' current mission plan could easily kill any potential the device had and just end up being a big waste of $2 billion. We have to remember that for all of FB's shit they are run by a young guy that understands technology and seems to have a big vision for the future. The company's other side projects like Open Compute speak to this future view as well.

I think Oculus made a great move here. Sell a few hundred thousand units too gamers or sell millions too people with larger disposable income. Brilliant! The plan might not work. But its better than pandering to gamers only.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

You go Brendan! Woohoo! I would pay extra for an Oculus hoodie. I need!

I think theirs two goals here for Facebook. 

1. Keep Oculus true to their initial goal - Creating the VR Goggles for the gamer.

Once that is out of the way and the cluster fuck news has passed...

2. Invest into taking over the living room, the work place, the bedroom with a VR experience on not only game levels but anything you can imagine and bring it to the space your in.

I think it is going to be a faster road to the goggles we originally wanted with FB injecting rotten money behind them but I think once we have what we wanted it will go pear shaped and down a darker road.

If they plan on fulfilling that second goal everyone will need dedicated graphics of some kind or AMD's APUs will somehow be much better than they currenly are. Either way a facebook machine would no longer but just a tablet, mac, or $300 pc.

If they plan on fulfilling that second goal everyone will need dedicated graphics of some kind or AMD's APUs will somehow be much better than they currenly are. Either way a facebook machine would no longer but just a tablet, mac, or $300 pc.

Or Something like a cloud network with GRID? 

Put on the headset > Device logs into GRID > Pick your entertainment or experience

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

Just make two separate versions, one for gamers, and one for the general public.  :P

Just make two separate versions, one for gamers, and one for the general public.  :P

That is...A really good idea. A gaming version with a really high res screen that costs a little more and a consumer version with a 1080p screen and some cheaper parts that is cheaper and possibly have that be the Facebook-d to hell version with a focus on FB apps and FB browser games.

That is...A really good idea. A gaming version with a really high res screen that costs a little more and a consumer version with a 1080p screen and some cheaper parts that is cheaper and possibly have that be the Facebook-d to hell version with a focus on FB apps and FB browser games.

i can half accept this, i do agree of a cheap and a high end one, but i dont like the idea that the high end cant do whatever the cheap version can. Thats just stupid.

i can half accept this, i do agree of a cheap and a high end one, but i dont like the idea that the high end cant do whatever the cheap version can. Thats just stupid.

Well I'm picturing that the high end version would have a much more minimal UI to it and have everything be more gamer focused. I'm not saying it shouldn't do everything the cheaper version can, just that it would be less intrusive about it.

Well I'm picturing that the high end version would have a much more minimal UI to it and have everything be more gamer focused. I'm not saying it shouldn't do everything the cheaper version can, just that it would be less intrusive about it.

Maybe a "mode" button would be nice. Swap too and from gaming and ...the other one.....

Oculus will continue to operate independently. We’re staying Oculus, we’re still building the Oculus Rift, our email addresses are remain @oculusvr.com, and most importantly, our hoodies will still say Oculus.

At least state who the parent company is or something. Everyone knows it. "Part of the Facebook Alliance" or something.

They are staying Oculus...I wonder for how many years they can keep it up.

To show an example, Unilever owns tons of brands, but at least they still state Unilever on the back of their products.

1. We’re able to tap into Facebook’s experience and backend systems for our platform services. As an added bonus, Oculus now has a rock solid, global payments solution.

Really well made point. Their VR universe and shop I'm guessing. Either in which I'm not really interested in.

2. We’ll be able to leverage Facebook’s recruiting infrastructure, including hiring engineers from within Facebook, to supercharge our recruiting.

Sounds good, nothing wrong with supercharging right?

3. We can afford to always make the decision that is right for virtual reality and our customers in the long term – we don’t have to make short term compromises.

A lot of irony in this quote. Their customers aren't the enthusiasts anymore I'm guessing? It's the masses now. Quite ambiguous.

4. We’re going to invest in additional partnerships to build the best product and platform.

I guess this all depends on what Facebook has to say about it. If their Emperor(Mark Zuckerberg) agrees, an alliance will be made, if not-then not.

I'm not quite sure that Facebook would like one of their wholly owned subsidiaries to partner up with a competitor.

Have fun changing the world though, you sure changed our perception of your brand quite negatively.

Do give you pro's for making VR a big buzzword and allowing us to see alternative VR headsets as real alternatives.

Can't wait for the competition.

Glazing over everything with a shit-eating grin. What else is new from the world of corporate rape?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.