I don't believe the "Gamers bought All the GPU's" theory

Ar558a

Having watched yesterdays "I Was RIGHT!!!! (and I hate it)" video I have to say I still don't believe the Gamers bought all the GPU's theory.  While I agree that some of the issue will have been caused by the comparatively good value of 30 series compared with 20 series leading to more than average upgrades by long term gamers, considering Nvidia have said they have produced a record number of cards I believe the Miner impact is larger than Linus or his sources either believe or are willing to admit. While COVID will have driven more people to buy PC's both for work or for pleasure, I would seem very unlikely a group of casual new to pc gamers would be forking out for the most expensive hardware when they have yet to build up an affinity for PC gaming. They are trying it out, or using it as a stop gap till they can return to non COVID restricted activities, These are the kind of customers for 50 and 60 series cards in $150-250 zone. While many people have saved money during COVID if they haven't struggled with employment only a small proportion will be willing or able  to spend $500+ (the cost of a Next Gen console) on a GPU especially if they aren't committed long term PC gaming.

The Mining theory makes much more sense as even large investments of $500,$1000,$1500 are sensible as they are making a ROI on the current crazy Crypto prices, they are not GPU's but Business equipment that produces a return and those in the mining game are eager to make hay while the sun shines. If you believe in Mining as those building farms must, they want to maximise profit so buying as many of anything that is making you money (especially knowing there is a healthy second hand market) is good sense. 

Thats my opinion, I think it is a bad look for anyone in the GPU industry whether it's Nvidia, AMD, Board partners etc to admit that a lot of the cards have gone to Miners as that angers Gamers more than saying they have gone to other Gamers just not you or anyone you know.

...they didn't buy all the GPUs. Literally no one ever thought for a second that gamers bought them all. I mean, it's like:

No one:

Absolutely no one:

Random guy: I DON'T THINK THE GAMERS BOUGHT ALL THE GPUS!"

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Found the guy who didn't get one lmfao

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

Having watched yesterdays "I Was RIGHT!!!! (and I hate it)" video I have to say I still don't believe the Gamers bought all the GPU's theory.

I don't either.

Especially since @Moonzy bought 12? GPUs for mining.

2 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

The Mining theory makes much more sense as even large investments of $500,$1000,$1500 are sensible as they are making a ROI on the current crazy Crypto prices, they are not GPU's but Business equipment that produces a return and those in the mining game are eager to make hay while the sun shines. If you believe in Mining as those building farms must, they want to maximise profit so buying as many of anything that is making you money (especially knowing there is a healthy second hand market) is good sense.

I'm not a fan of this theory as well.

I'm of the opinion that it's a combination of both gamers and miners.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Especially since @Moonzy bought 12? GPUs for mining.

19 ampere GPUs

i saw the video but didn't even bothered getting it, i skipped thru the part where he mentioned the link lul

i hate elbowing for GPU, just put money on the table

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Well there are the gamers and the miners, but you now also have the flippers...

probably they shoud just select game and make turnament there one entry one chance best scores got email invite link to buy one reserved for them... at least how i magine verified gamers. bots wont able to participate as you need to spend some time playing miners wont bother playin like hour for one gpu.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

19 ampere GPUs

19? How is that even possible? I presume you aren't getting them from standard retails sources. I haven't seen a single 3080/3070/3060Ti/3060 for sale at any retailer EVER. Seen a few 3090s but only at like £2000($2700)

11 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

19? How is that even possible? I presume you aren't getting them from standard retails sources. I haven't seen a single 3080/3070/3060Ti/3060 for sale at any retailer EVER. Seen a few 3090s but only at like £2000($2700)

12 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

I haven't seen a single 3080/3070/3060Ti/3060 for sale at any retailer EVER.

I got em all lol

Spoiler

DSC_0396.thumb.JPG.376da6117c23537e6ac68b4ffe8f1309.JPG

Don't get the 3090 if you're interested in mining, save yourselves some headaches

Gamers didn't buy all of the GPUs, neither did miners, it was scalpers who did. Regardless if all of the gamers or all of the miners didn't buy GPUs anymore, the value of GPUs would not change one bit. There's significantly higher demand than supply of GPUs from both parties

Miners are willing to pay higher prices than gamers, and cards are worth about 2x msrp atm. Not really angry about it though.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

Miners are willing to pay higher prices than gamers, and cards are worth about 2x msrp atm. Not really angry about it though.

There's plenty of gamers willing to pay a lot more for GPUs as well, it's hardly just miners

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

Yeh I'm not massively angry as I'm not certain I would have definately bought a 30 Series but the fact I couldn't replace my card if it died makes me pretty annoyed and nervous.

1 minute ago, FutaLoliLoverXOXO said:

There's plenty of gamers willing to pay a lot more for GPUs as well, it's hardly just miners

I would like to meet a gamer who thinks a 1060 is worth $500. They must have no idea about the value of money.

Just now, Ar558a said:

I would like to meet a gamer who thinks a 1060 is worth $500. They must have no idea about the value of money.

I don't think most miners are even willing to pay that much, 1060s are pretty subpar for mining, even in bulk. It's probably people who don't know what they're buying who are actually willing to pay that much

Just now, Ar558a said:

Yeh I'm not massively angry as I'm not certain I would have definately bought a 30 Series but the fact I couldn't replace my card if it died makes me pretty annoyed and nervous.

the pump on my 1080 ti is going, i've taken a peek, saw a 6800xt for 1300 that was immediately sold or 1500~ anytime 😅, might just zip-tie mount something on it.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

3 minutes ago, xg32 said:

the pump on my 1080 ti is going, i've taken a peek, saw a 6800xt for 1300 that was immediately sold or 1500~ anytime 😅, might just zip-tie mount something on it.

Yeh do anything you can to keep it alive! I couldn't stomach paying over the odds for a card (maybe 20% over MSRP would be my limit but 200% no way) so I would have to buy a 710 and give up gaming.

I don't believe your theory either.

I don't believe he said that gamers bought all the cards. I believe he said that they bought the majority of cards, which wouldn't be that surprising.

Lots of gamers got cards. I have friends that got cards. All they did was put their name down on the list.

Fun fact, most gamers are adults. That means they have higher expendable incomes, and thus, tend to spend more on hobbies. For example, all of my friends that have gotten into PC gaming later in life have, and continue to purchase 70 or 80 series cards. Of my 8 or 9 gaming friends that recently got into it, none bought entry level cards. Why? They want to experience the best they can, and really, an extra few hundred dollars on a $1,500 purchase is not a lot of money to most adults. The reason you might think that's the case is because that's largely what we see on the forum, however forum goers are a very small percentage of gamers.

You think AMD or NVIDIA care? Really? They've likely sold pallets of GPUs to single individuals. Why? They're a business, and that's what businesses do. If you think gamers have any more of a right to these cards than miners, you're completely out to lunch. You are, in the end, simply a consumer, just like everyone else.

Just now, Kavamale21 said:

probably they shoud just select game and make turnament there one entry one chance best scores got email invite link to buy one reserved for them... at least how i magine verified gamers. bots wont able to participate as you need to spend some time playing miners wont bother playin like hour for one gpu.

Haha, no. The amount of time, effort and added overhead that would take is insane. Then they're losing quite a bit of money on every GPU they sell.

Just now, Moonzy said:

Went to link.

Saw no pictures.

Left disappoint.

Just now, FutaLoliLoverXOXO said:

Gamers didn't buy all of the GPUs, neither did miners, it was scalpers who did. Regardless if all of the gamers or all of the miners didn't buy GPUs anymore, the value of GPUs would not change one bit. There's significantly higher demand than supply of GPUs from both parties

Nope, not true either. It was a combination of the three.

Scaplers have cards, yes, but they don't have anywhere near the entire market.

Just now, xg32 said:

i can't wait for all the people yelling at you about how the cards aren't worth that much.

It's like people don't realize worth is subjective, and if there's a lot of people willing to pay twice what the card originally sold for, then that's what it's worth.

Market dictates worth. Otherwise the card is worth nothing more than the sum of it's earthly elements, and that's next to nothing.

Just now, Ar558a said:

They do, I don't think you understand how worth is calculated. See above.

Just now, FutaLoliLoverXOXO said:

I don't think most miners are even willing to pay that much, 1060s are pretty subpar for mining, even in bulk. It's probably people who don't know what they're buying who are actually willing to pay that much

It's more likely people who can't get anything else.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I got em all lol

Hide contents

DSC_0396.thumb.JPG.376da6117c23537e6ac68b4ffe8f1309.JPG

Don't get the 3090 if you're interested in mining, save yourselves some headaches

Yeah I've heard 3080 is a lot better value wise

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Went to link.

Saw no pictures.

Left disappoint.

Here's back when I still only had 11(?)

Spoiler

DSC_0329.thumb.JPG.474da2d156df6215408a1feb7fb56043.JPG

Bought 3 more 3080, 1 more 3090, and 4 more 3070

here's my excel sheet to keep track

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0db2fe9204319972b2d00b7e86178314.png

9 minutes ago, FutaLoliLoverXOXO said:

Yeah I've heard 3080 is a lot better value wise

Density = 3080

Efficiency = 3060ti, 3070 is close contender

So far I'm loving the 3080 more though.

gaming turnament wont be too dificult if you contact some free to play smaller competitive game crators they would be interesten in promotion and coud do most of job. like 2 days run event that atracts even few more peopto to they project

Additionally, and this isn't a big thing, but there's people out there who aren't gamers or miners who want the latest cards (like me for example). The 3090 is really a card not meant for gamers, and it isn't the greatest for mining either. It always seems so hypocritical to me when people complain about miners buying GPUs saying it's for gamers and stuff yet and perfectly fine with gamers buying 3090s, a workstation GPU, when people actually require such hardware for their careers

32 minutes ago, dizmo said:

i can't wait for all the people yelling at you about how the cards aren't worth that much.

It's like people don't realize worth is subjective, and if there's a lot of people willing to pay twice what the card originally sold for, then that's what it's worth.

Market dictates worth. Otherwise the card is worth nothing more than the sum of it's earthly elements, and that's next to nothing.

They do, I don't think you understand how worth is calculated. See above.

Well  to  a strict economy theory of worth then technically it is what the market will bear but that doesn't mean it is offering anything close to good value (or quite frankly bad value at this point would be 10 steps up). This is the equivalent of someone paying $100k for a 5 yr old car that cost $30k new with 100k miles on the clock, maybe people are stupid to pay the price but it doesn't make it good value (and there for "worth" it in any non strictly Economic sense) and they are still in the majority of cases making bad decisions (if you are a millionaire paying an extra $500 for a GPU is unlikely an big opportunity cost problem). 

4 minutes ago, Ar558a said:

Well  to  a strict economy theory of worth then technically it is what the market will bear but that doesn't mean it is offering anything close to good value (or quite frankly bad value at this point would be 10 steps up). This is the equivalent of someone paying $100k for a 5 yr old car that cost $30k new with 100k miles on the clock, maybe people are stupid to pay the price but it doesn't make it good value (and there for "worth" it in any non strictly Economic sense) and they are still in the majority of cases making bad decisions (if you are a millionaire paying an extra $500 for a GPU is unlikely an big opportunity cost problem). 

Your analogy is poor given what I've seen people pay for cars. However, if you're talking about what PC parts are actually worth, do you really think it costs Nvidia anywhere close to $700 to make a 3080? Like even with development, they're make shit tons more off of it. These companies will make you pay whatever they want you to pay for their products, worth is literally how much people are willing to pay for something, it is nothing more than that. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, and pretty much every company isn't trying to put a price on products that's "worth it." These companies purposely make it look like something is better value because only a tiny bit more and you get so much more performance. $500 for a 3070? But for $200 more you get a 3080 that offers way better performance! These companies trick you into thinking that something is good value, and let me tell you, even at MSRP, the latest products are not good value. The big companies only want to make it seem like they are

50 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Nope, not true either. It was a combination of the three.

Scaplers have cards, yes, but they don't have anywhere near the entire market.

Never responded to this but I will now, yes you're accurate, however, I was over exaggerating to make a point. The reason stuff is priced so high is because of scalpers, not gamers, miners, or anyone else