Ps4 upgrade

GeneralGusher

Hey

so I have a PS4 slim and I was wondering if there is any way I can upgrade it to make it faster and more powerful?

I know I can add an ssd in to it to make it faster but will it really make that much of a difference. And as for making it more powerful, I don’t think you can but I just want to make sure.

thanks!

No. At best you can do is fix the cooling for more stable operation.

Stable not equal to more performance.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

No. At best you can do is fix the cooling for more stable operation.

Stable not equal to more performance.

I'm just real curious.  How do you equate the speed of a hard-drive with the speed of an SSD?  At best, the best speed of a home-style HHD is what, 10,000RPM?  And isn't the speed of electricity rated as the speed of light, (The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second), and in theory nothing can travel faster than light. In miles per hour, light speed is, well, a lot: about 670,616,629 mph.)  Seems pretty different to me.

Even an SSD will give only a limited boost to a PS4. And in some games not even a noticeable one.

I'm not sure is it worth buying. If you happen to have a spare SSD, then sure throw it in.

EDIT: Naturally the SSD only speeds up loading and saving. Not the actual gameplay...

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I'm just real curious.  How do you equate the speed of a hard-drive with the speed of an SSD?  At best, the best speed of a home-style HHD is what, 10,000RPM?  And isn't the speed of electricity rated as the speed of light, (The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second), and in theory nothing can travel faster than light. In miles per hour, light speed is, well, a lot: about 670,616,629 mph.)  Seems pretty different to me.

Even a cheap SSD can beat the best HDD. Electronics data speed is measured in bits/seconds, unlike optical transfer, data travels in sound wave not light.

RPM is about random io, the faster you spin the quicker you can get to the data location.

SSD random io is lightning fast, it doesn't need to spin / seeking to get the data.

All that data will end up in the CPU and the software, no matter how fast the data transfer is, if the cpu and the software cannot process it fast enough, it will be no different.

A SSD upgrade will boost the loading time, but not ingame performance.

in game performance will be dictated by the processing power (cpu + gpu), on a PS4 it should already be maxout.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Even a cheap SSD can beat the best HDD.

The 660p would like to have a word with you (if it ever catches up to you, that is). 😛 

But yeah, really all you can do is throw in an SSD to get better load times. If I'm not mistaken, you can usually expect anywhere from a 15 to 30% decrease in load times for a decent number of games, but of course that can vary quite a bit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Even a cheap SSD can beat the best HDD. Electronics data speed is measured in bits/seconds, unlike optical transfer, data travels in sound wave not light.

RPM is about random io, the faster you spin the quicker you can get to the data location.

SSD random io is lightning fast, it doesn't need to spin / seeking to get the data.

All that data will end up in the CPU and the software, no matter how fast the data transfer is, if the cpu and the software cannot process it fast enough, it will be no different.

A SSD upgrade will boost the loading time, but not ingame performance.

in game performance will be dictated by the processing power (cpu + gpu), on a PS4 it should already be maxout.

It has strong diminishing returns since the SSD gets bottlenecked hard by the ridiculously weak cpu in the PS4 when it comes to loading. PS4 Slim doesn't even support SATA3. It's really a mixed bag putting an SSD in a base PS4. Not nearly as good as putting an SSD in a gaming PC that has a decent cpu.

Get a PS4 Pro and an SSD if possible. The PS4 Pro's CPU will also make better use of the SSD. The obvious answer is get a PS5, but that's not so easy. (Speaking as someone who was lucky/diligent enough to get one). 

Oh, and PS4 Pro's aren't being made anymore so it'll hold its value pretty well, especially if you put PT on it. 😉

18 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

Hey

so I have a PS4 slim and I was wondering if there is any way I can upgrade it to make it faster and more powerful?

I know I can add an ssd in to it to make it faster but will it really make that much of a difference. And as for making it more powerful, I don’t think you can but I just want to make sure.

thanks!

I recommend buying a cheap 120-240gb ssd cheap ssd enclosure and hooking it up to your ps4. you can then format it as external storage and move your favorite games to the ssd. This will give you a nice boost in load times without breaking the bank.

here is my recommendations for the enclosure: ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMUdFMlQyR1dTRDRWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDkzODMyMjVET045VEM3Q00yWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTIzMjk5MUZIUEdGOE1IWTNWQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU

On 3/24/2021 at 5:07 AM, GeneralGusher said:

Hey

Yes. Buy a PS5. Most of your existing games will get improved graphics and/or framerate.

While I certainly advocate buying a PS5 and putting the PS4 to bed, I know that’s not an option for everyone.  That said, the PS5 won’t really help your PS4 games unless they are games that were given PS4 Pro patches.  You’ll get faster load times on PS5, but not faster than a PS4 with an SSD.

I can tell you from experience that PS4 games played on a PS4, and loaded from an external SSD, will actually load faster than PS4 games played on a PS5 and loaded from the PS5’s SSD.

You will definitely notice improved load times by adding an SSD to your PS4.  However, that improvement may not be what you would consider significant.  For example, let’s say it takes about a minute (rough estimate) to load a save in RE7 from the PS4’s HDD... you might shave off 10-20 seconds (rough estimate) by switching to an SSD.

I did a lot of testing of load times for PS4 games stored on the internal HDD and an external SSD vs. PS4 games played on PS5, stored on the internal SSD and an external SSD.  What I ultimately concluded is that non-Pro boosted PS4 games are not improved by playing them on PS5.  The only improvement is load times, which an external SSD will provide to your PS4.  I used the Samsung T7.

Let me know if any of that was difficult to understand and I’ll try to be more articulate.

EDIT: I’d like to add that I found the internal SSDs on Xbox Series X and S to load last-gen games much faster than PS5.  Not exactly PC-level speeds, but pretty close on games like RE2 and RE3.

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U