2400W power supply

I am gonna buy a server with a 2400W power supply, my office uses 110V at 15 AMPS, is there a 2 cable system that turns 2 110V cables into 1 220V cable so i can get enough power?

Short answer, no. Longer answer, it is possible to combine two 110V lines into a single 220V but only if they are from opposite phases on a split-phase system and this is done at the outlet (for example, residential clothes dryers derive 220V this way). I suppose if you know that two outlets in your office are on separate phases a cable could be made to combine them but that's well into "things that should not be built" territory.

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

You'll want to look into a 110V to 220V transformer. Are you buying the right model for your region 220-240V is a European supply? It would be unusual for a manufacturer not to offer an product for use in the USA that's a big market place to exclude.

18 minutes ago, Rameares said:

You'll want to look into a 110V to 220V transformer. Are you buying the right model for your region 220-240V is a European supply? It would be unusual for a manufacturer not to offer an product for use in the USA that's a big market place to exclude.

Its because it has 2 2400W power supplies, i found a 3000W converter, but since I have 110V i dont think there would be any advantage, is it enough?

I am going to buy a dell server with a 2400W 100-240V power supply for my office, but the office has 110V only, so wattage would be limited by half. 

I have found a 3000W switcher that switches the power from 110V to 220V (https://www.amazon.com/3000-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-LiteFuze/dp/B08178BTQC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=3000w+power+110v+to+220v&qid=1616355419&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1CETEZJY3J2VF&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzM0JLT1BYWkZGSUtDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDcxMDU2MVdaTkQ0UFJGVUdFSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTMzODEwMlpKRUZKVlo3SjFGTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=), but it has 1 cable, since my office is 110V then how would it improve voltage by connecting both?

Look idk what you're attempting to do........

.... but my inner electrician is telling you to stop and use two normal power supplies rated correctly for your wall outlets. Nobody here is going to tell you to burn down your house when you could just do it correctly.

I imagine it doubles the voltage by halving the usable amps. Meaning at 240V you still won't be able to run the PSU at 2400W without popping the breaker.

The box won't help you

The fuse / breaker in your house electrical panel is rated for some amount of current, let's say it's maybe 20A ... so 110v x 20A = maximum 2200 watts... maybe.

The outlet on your wall, your power strips, and so on, are generally rated for maximum 16A .. so around 1750  watts. Look on the labels / plugs of your cables and it should say voltage and current ... multiply that and you get maximum watts.

The box can't magically move more electricity through the cables in your house, and your circuit breaker won't magically let more electricity flow.

The box maybe converts 110v to 230v-ish, but that conversion is not done with 100% efficiency, so you lose some power from your total budget. Then, the power supply again converts 230v-ish down to the low voltages.

Without getting in this 110 vs 220V stuff, i'm wondering what do you need 2.4kW PSU in a server for ? Does it have multiple GPUs or smth ? I'm not sure there are even 2.4kW server PSUs (redundant at that) in the first place, are you sure you're reading it right ? And even if so, will you actually load it up that much ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

I'm not sure there are even 2.4kW server PSUs (redundant at that)

In the very high-end there are but you usually don't see them outside of data-centers or private enterprise.

To have them in the home is doable in North America or other 110V nations but you have to do a little rewiring it the breaker panel and change the wall outlet.

Are you sure it has a 2400W PSU and not just 2x1200W redundant units?

Almost all servers have dual PSUs, not just one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

To have them in the home is doable in North America or other 110V nations but you have to do a little rewiring it the breaker panel and change the wall outlet.

Relevant video :

TLDR: US have three-point transformers, with 120V between center point (which acts as a neutral too) and either of two '120V' phases, or 240V between two '120V' phases.

@Juular I saw that video. :3

If you live in a residential area you typically have a split-phase transformer with a center tap on the secondary winding. This gives you both 120V/240V to the home.

Commercial areas with 208V 3 phase are different. 240V equipment will run on 208V but not as efficiently.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Commercial areas with 208V 3 phase are different. 240V equipment will run on 208V but not as efficiently.

Yeah, but SMPS wouldn't really care much, a fraction of percent lower efficiency, maybe pf too a bit, that's it.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yeah, but SMPS wouldn't really care much, a fraction of percent lower efficiency, maybe pf too a bit, that's it.

I just like the sound of getting everything I can out of a piece of 240V equipment while commercial installations are missing 13.3%.

Should help the PSU run cooler under high loads and last longer too as oppose to 120V setups.

Ok OP, you need a 220v 30-40amp circuit to perform the function you are asking for. If you try to convert a normal 110-120v circuit [which is most likely to be15amp] you will burn down your house. A dedicated circuit is what you want to install.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

220v 30-40amp circuit

A standard 16A circuit would do as long as it's 240V. My 240V kettle can use about as much as that server and it doesn't need an extra heavy circuit either.

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

A standard 16A circuit would do as long as it's 240V. My 240V kettle can use about as much as that server and it doesn't need an extra heavy circuit either.

The circuit would have to follow US electrical codes, which is if the OP is in the US. 220v circuits require a 30-amp breaker and wiring but depending on the individual state that can vary down to 20amps.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER