About the format of line graphs

Great98

I just watched the video about the upcoming 6700xt and since of the graphs refused to make sense in my head. I couldn't follow the colors. Is you are colorblind I guess you can stop reading this, I'm not certain how colorblindness is perceived.

Anyways I came to a solution:

On your line graphs you should standardize the colors. AMD should always be red. Intel should always be light blue. Nvidia should always be Green. Apple should be white, Windows should be royal blue. Linux orange, Google could be rainbow. (Look at the logo. It's all colors.) Purple could be for Android maybe? (I'm running out of primary and tertiary colors.) Yellow might be non-Apple ARM stuff. You folks get the drift.

Anyways I want somebody at ltt to see this and at least consider it. How can I get this to happen?

5 minutes ago, Great98 said:

Anyways I want somebody at ltt to see this and at least consider it. How can I get this to happen?

Well, since you've got a forum post, you can tag Linus (@LinusTech).

elephants

How are you expecting them to standardize the brands, while their graphs currently standardize based on the 1% lows/0.1% lows/average FPS? 

Plus, what use is it to know "line five is AMD", without also having to pan to the left to see what specific GPU this is? When you look to the left, you already see the name of the product and the company logo too.

I think the graphs in the LTT videos are only there to accompany the spoken words, which deliver the message. It's just you can look at the fps as a 'source' of how they get their conclusions.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

How are you expecting them to standardize the brands, while their graphs currently standardize based on the 1% lows/0.1% lows/average FPS? 

Plus, what use is it to know "line five is AMD", without also having to pan to the left to see what specific GPU this is? When you look to the left, you already see the name of the product and the company logo too.

I think the graphs in the LTT videos are only there to accompany the spoken words, which deliver the message. It's just you can look at the fps as a 'source' of how they get their conclusions.

True, it wouldn't make everything clear instantly, and by no means is it a perfect system, but at the very least it could help with a little bit of implementation. It would NOT work on bar graphs, but it is a thought for comparing multiple brands and gives a good starting spot.

35 minutes ago, Great98 said:

I just watched the video about the upcoming 6700xt and since of the graphs refused to make sense in my head. I couldn't follow the colors. Is you are colorblind I guess you can stop reading this, I'm not certain how colorblindness is perceived.

Anyways I came to a solution:

On your line graphs you should standardize the colors. AMD should always be red. Intel should always be light blue. Nvidia should always be Green. Apple should be white, Windows should be royal blue. Linux orange, Google could be rainbow. (Look at the logo. It's all colors.) Purple could be for Android maybe? (I'm running out of primary and tertiary colors.) Yellow might be non-Apple ARM stuff. You folks get the drift.

If the graphs now already dont make sense to you, you're not gonna decide anything about them. As you clearly dont know how graphs work...

But if you really want to change things i would suggest start by putting down an example. (I dot really know what you mean with all them colors).

Also you said "" Is you are colorblind I guess you can stop reading this"" which is very narrow minded and excluding ppl with colorblindness. Not cool.

And also why do Operating Systems need to have a different color to lets say hardware manufacturers? Those hardly ever show up in the same graph.

Im sorry this idea is full of holes. I'd suggest work it out more and try again.

But then i have nothing to say about LTT so who knows.

But i don't agree with any of it. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

MSI is red

Sapphire is Blue

Asus is also red

Acer is black

PNY is green

Asrock is red too I think (they really like red)

EVGA is grey, or black maybe

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

19 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

If the graphs now already dont make sense to you, you're not gonna decide anything about them. As you clearly dont know how graphs work...

But if you really want to change things i would suggest start by putting down an example. (I dot really know what you mean with all them colors).

Also you said "" Is you are colorblind I guess you can stop reading this"" which is very narrow minded and excluding ppl with colorblindness. Not cool.

And also why do Operating Systems need to have a different color to lets say hardware manufacturers? Those hardly ever show up in the same graph.

Im sorry this idea is full of holes. I'd suggest work it out more and try again.

But then i have nothing to say about LTT so who knows.

But i don't agree with any of it. 🙂

I fully understand how graphs work. I have only a faint clue as to how colorblindness works and if you can't tell the colors apart, I don't want to take the time of your day to try and flesh out an idea regarding colors. It was supposed to be respect for somebody's time and not mean.  That being said if there was a way to make it easier for a colorblind person, I would be very curious. 

Good call on the operating systems though. I guess if you are comparing different operating system performances it could come in handy. Also it probably should be "Microsoft is blue" not "Windows is blue". I was trying to be as broad as possible.

19 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

MSI is red

Sapphire is Blue

Asus is also red

Acer is black

PNY is green

That's a good point. But I'm trying suggesting a general idea, sort of a jumping off point. I'm not saying to get rid of the labels, that wouldn't be very viewer friendly. It's just that sometimes I have a hard time connecting two separate things when there could be a more use friendly way to do that. I figure I have an idea, I should pitch it to people, see if there is a more refined, better way. I'm thinking the people of LTT Forums are pretty smart and can help me iron it out.

19 hours ago, minibois said:

I can see it best working on line graphs, not bar graphs. I try to understand everything I can and have found the graphs to be very useful to draw conclusions. LMG doesn't seem to tell you a is better than b, but more here is how a performs and here is how b performs.

So for this review, and maybe some others (I rarely watch videos anymore, just listen), they have changed the style a bit. I don't see colors overall being issue. As long as the key is available, it doesn't matter. Only when key is not used, one should use standard symbology (same applies to making maps). The bigger issue is sorting of the items. I didn't check this one fully to see whether the comparison followed always the same order or not. This has been issue in the past.

As for colorblindness, it depends of what level it is. Is it just red-green or full. With full, one only sees monochromatic range (I have a friend who has this). So for that, using similar shades/contrast colors will be mixed up. This is why its important to have numeric values for each bar/point. Also using texture instead of single color fills helps.

Many other reviews have only two colors used in graphs, and the items in same order or some order of which can be easily determined from graph. Like coolers ordered by measured temps. Or manufacturers preferred tiers and manufacturers grouped.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

While they can be hard to read in the short amount of time they are on screen, i think their intention is that people who want to really study them would be just pause the video, then you can look at them for as long as you like to understand them which would make the colours chosen not really matter

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

While they can be hard to read in the short amount of time they are on screen, i think their intention is that people who want to really study them would be just pause the video, then you can look at them for as long as you like to understand them which would make the colours chosen not really matter

I fully agree. I kinda want them to spice it up a little too though. 

On 3/17/2021 at 10:52 AM, NineEyeRon said:

MSI is red

Sapphire is Blue

Asus is also red

Acer is black

PNY is green

I've always thought of EVGA as bronze for some reason. In my head PNY is cyan for some reason. As for Asus I'd say it depends on the product line. ROG is definitely red/dark red and Asus themselves is silver in my head. (I have a silver Asus laptop which probably caused that connection.) The biggest problem is that it may not just be what color the company usually brands themselves work, but also people's random brain connections. (7 is green and 5 is clear in my head.)

13 hours ago, Great98 said:

I fully agree. I kinda want them to spice it up a little too though. 

I've always thought of EVGA as bronze for some reason. In my head PNY is cyan for some reason. As for Asus I'd say it depends on the product line. ROG is definitely red/dark red and Asus themselves is silver in my head. (I have a silver Asus laptop which probably caused that connection.) The biggest problem is that it may not just be what color the company usually brands themselves work, but also people's random brain connections. (7 is green and 5 is clear in my head.)

If by-brand color scheme is your solution, then it truly is only to spice it up. That's more confusing long-term and eventually they will run out of colors. The point of coloring overall is to make visible difference. Having multiple shades of blue side-by-side and representing something different like brand or product is more confusing than having same scheme represent different settings or situations of same product (like idle vs load).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv