What is ur opinion on rgb lighting?

King of Memes

What are ur thoughts on rgb lighting?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What are ur thoughts on rgb?

23 hours ago, TheDocH said:

It's great when done right. Otherwise no.

It effectively attempts to turn a computer into a sculpture, and sculpture can be good or bad. It has its points as a tool I guess. It was a tool available before the manufacturers went proprietary though.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Only use I have for it is to set all of my lighting colors to the same color. My RGB keyboard and mouse, for example, are set to static Red.

The entire rest of my setup, besides my monitors and power indicator LED's, are all lighting-free.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

100% unnecessary and dose not look the best. only good thing about is that one can change the color on the fly. 

UV neon is the way to go if you want lights inside your PC, and even that is 100% unnecessary.

10 hours ago, Benji said:

LTT staff should read this, lol. If it accentuates, it can look decent. But the way they do it in all their videos with colour waves and it looks worse than a disco, it's just way too much. But a lot of people like that and every RGB build featured in a LTT video has this overdriven disco crap.

That's why I chose "It's okay". Can look good in a few cases, looks bad in a lot of cases.

its probably that way for a reason. linus knows haters are going to hate so he stokes the fire.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

its probably that way for a reason. linus knows haters are going to hate so he stokes the fire.

Also it’s a review.  One needs to see the max capacity. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

ya my pc will be a light show when im done mhhaha

but people asking the same question about rgb is starting to make it less fun for me...

i got pwm 40mm rgb fans in so that probably sums it up.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

I like the way it looks as long as it's not too distracting. I hate all the terrible software. 

RGB is the computer worlds equivalent to the car worlds vape-bro mitsubishi eclipse covered in stickers from Firestone, Sparco, NOS etc.

8 hours ago, Kylan275 said:

I like the way it looks as long as it's not too distracting. I hate all the terrible software. 

yes, gigabyte vision is the worst. Asus Aura sync isn't the best, but it gets the job done. Corsair iCue is actually good, but it eats up ur pc.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

1 minute ago, milkerfish said:

MSI's software is also god awful and has a chance to brick itself when you use OpenRGB

ok, ive never had any experience with their software

1 hour ago, King of Memes said:

ok, ive never had any experience with their software

azrock software the rgb ram did show up but did not work then its was like nop and the icon disaperd. even installing the rgb ram software did nothing... it was so bad i used the built in case rgb controller instead.. oh and your thing that aio came with an rgb.argb controller well.. that was doa...

20190828_174535.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

Hardware-side:

As long as it's not too in-your-face about the RGB, and it looks nice in terms of form and it's not super expensive, I like it.

Software-side:
I shall only buy ASUS motherboards because everyone else's RGB software sucks.

Even though the X570 Taichi is a better fit for what I'd use than the X570-E - I can't stand ASRock Polychrome.

elephants

20 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

What would happen if it was done left?

It would look like inverted colours mode.

I have some on my ram, and on my VRM shroud.. its ok.. I cant see the shroud because LGMRT. The software is terrible. The first couple of times I used the Asus software, it ended up breaking the shroud light. It was only able to be fixed though uefi update where it updated the firmware. Would be nice to sync them up but not if I have to flash new firmware to the led controller every time lol.

I did used to think it was dumb though. Now its not bad. I don't see myself going full RGB though.. I enjoy my high performance fans too much to give up performance for pretty.

But that might change one day.. probably not though.. watch 2 months from now you will see me full rgb with strips fans everything lol 😄

Probably not..

AMD R9 5900X @ PBO | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

I prefer having RGB. 

My old desktop was built in CM HAF XB Evo case. All mesh, nice airflow. Walls of my office were white during the day and blue/red at nights when computer was on. Red leds from motherboard and blue Gigabyte Windforce logo on the GPU made sure of that I knew when computer was on. No way to turn them off, or even change color to something nicer. 

My current build is all RGB. I can set everything to match or even turn them off when I feel like it. 

8 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Hardware-side:

As long as it's not too in-your-face about the RGB, and it looks nice in terms of form and it's not super expensive, I like it.

Software-side:
I shall only buy ASUS motherboards because everyone else's RGB software sucks.

Even though the X570 Taichi is a better fit for what I'd use than the X570-E - I can't stand ASRock Polychrome.

i agree, i have some rgb in my setup. i love setting it to warm colors like orange. I set it to rainbow once but i didnt like it.

My keyboard and mouse have it. They're usually on a dark warm purple. As for actual PC. This is too much for me. I tried to completely get rid of it, but it doesn't want to go away.

20201224_120803.jpg?width=457&height=609

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I'll take it on my keyboard and that's about it. It's incredibly stupid on mice (especially wireless ones), and while it can look nice in PCs if done correctly, I'd still just prefer to have close to none, if not none. I'd rather just have a handful of status LEDs burning away on the inside of my PC. I really like my PCs to be somewhat understated or stealthy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm ok with rgb, but please give me a physical toggle switch like bios switch so I can turn it off without downloading the softwares

Right now my mining rigs are way worse than unicorn puke because I'm lazy to get the software to turn them off. (Multiple brands means multiple softwares uggh)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Rainbow puke should be placed on a trebuchet and yeeted into the sun. Garish RGB gets a no from me. Unfortunately it seems like that's where the marketing for RGB seems to be focused.

I do, however, like thematic and carefully thought out RGB. It doesn't even have to be conservative - you can deck out your build with all the RGB it can support, and as long as it's tied together thoughtfully, that's fine in my book. The customizability that RGB gives you I think is a massive positive in the industry and I'll gladly pay the premium so I can have something that feels more personalized to me. In my book, it's half way between just slapping a cheap sticker on the tower and custom case mods that'll set me back far more than a few RGB fans.

But also... who cares? As long as it makes the owner of the rig happy... why does it matter? From what I've seen anecdotally, RGB scrooges come off as incredibly prescriptivist and absolute in their opinions. Hell, it's this prescriptivism that turns me off the RGB hate more than how supposedly juvenile and silly RGB fans (no pun intended, I mean advocates in this context) are.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

2 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Rainbow puke should be placed on a trebuchet and yeeted into the sun. Garish RGB gets a no from me. Unfortunately it seems like that's where the marketing for RGB seems to be focused.

I do, however, like thematic and carefully thought out RGB. It doesn't even have to be conservative - you can deck out your build with all the RGB it can support, and as long as it's tied together thoughtfully, that's fine in my book. The customizability that RGB gives you I think is a massive positive in the industry and I'll gladly pay the premium so I can have something that feels more personalized to me. In my book, it's half way between just slapping a cheap sticker on the tower and custom case mods that'll set me back far more than a few RGB fans.

But also... who cares? As long as it makes the owner of the rig happy... why does it matter? From what I've seen anecdotally, RGB scrooges come off as incredibly prescriptivist and absolute in their opinions. Hell, it's this prescriptivism that turns me off the RGB hate more than how supposedly juvenile and silly RGB fans (no pun intended, I mean advocates in this context) are.

They did an all white PC, and it actually looked pretty nice that way. It really softened up the lighting, and almost made it look pastel in some modes.

5 minutes ago, CT854 said:

5 minutes ago, CT854 said:

If rgb was free or even cheap and interconnectable I would agree with you the problem is adding rgb can double the price of a fan or more, and the companies used rgb not being in the atx standard to attempt to trap and control consumers with proprietary connectors that had absolutely no quality improvement over the original non proprietary ones.  This is one of the things shat was so irritating.  There actually WAS a standard created by the light bulb  companies and the computer manufacturers came in and actually deliberately ruined it.  Apple tends to more or less get away with that because when they break a standard they make the new thing significantly qualitatively better.  That did not happen with rgb. 

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

If rgb was free or even cheap and interconnectable I would agree with you the problem is adding rgb can double the price of a fan or more, and the companies used rgb not being in the atx standard to attempt to trap and control consumers with proprietary connectors that had absolutely no quality improvement over the original non proprietary ones.  This is one of the things shat was so irritating.  There actually WAS a standard created by the light bulb  companies and the computer manufacturers came in AMD actually deliberately ruined it.

Your gripe is more with how RGB is sold and implemented by companies than the concept itself. I'm talking about how RGB is treated at the consumer end. You bring up good points about bad behavior by companies, but that's not what I'm addressing. My point is "why care what consumers do with their RGB?", not related to your point of "RGB is bad because companies behave badly when making, marketing, and selling the products."

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

10 minutes ago, Sarra said:

They did an all white PC, and it actually looked pretty nice that way. It really softened up the lighting, and almost made it look pastel in some modes.

I am impressed with how good RGB looks in a white build. Shame it'd clash too hard with my setup. One day...

4 minutes ago, CT854 said:

I am impressed with how good RGB looks in a white build. Shame it'd clash too hard with my setup. One day...

lol Yeah. I bought an XBox controller. It died. Not going to waste my money on another XBox controller... So, PS5 dualsense controller. Except it would be the only white object in my entire room. 😧 It would clash with literally everything else...