French antitrust complaint alleges that apple serves targeted ads without consent while preventing other services from doing so

spartaman64

With the release of iOS 14.5, Apple’s new App Tracking Transparency policies require developers to get explicit consent before being able to share user data with third-party advertising networks. A new French complaint alleges that Apple’s own advertising network is not held to the same standard, as first reported by Bloomberg.

Specifically, the complaint says Apple itself is allowed to use data from across Apple’s apps to serve targeted ads, by default. Apple’s system does not technically fall under App Tracking Transparency (ATT) rules because there is no third-party data sharing, but it is viewed by the complainants as unfair treatment nonetheless.

The essence of the complaint argues that if Apple truly cares about privacy, it should be up-front and transparent about its own ad policies just as much as it enforces App Store ad networks to do the same. However, the Personalized Ads system setting for Apple Advertising is enabled by default, and this fact is not clearly disclosed to users.

For its part, Apple says that its personalized ads are designed to be privacy preserving and its generated user demographics cannot identify individuals.

Apple personalized ads defaulting to enabled is also the subject of a separate complaint, which believes the on-by-default policy is in breach of GDPR.

As far as ATT is concerned, a group of apps from the same developer is allowed to share data between them. ATT dialogs are required only if the developer then wants to send that data off to a third party, such as an ad network. ... The frustrated complainants would like Apple to treat its ad network as a “third-party,” so it is subject to the same rules as the smaller players.

source: https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/09/french-antitrust-complaint-alleges-apple-allows-itself-to-run-personalized-ads-on-ios-without-getting-user-consent/

It doesn't seem like apple is violating ATT rules as per the last quote. But it would be better for them to be more transparent about their own ad policies since they want to market this as something they care about and want to protect the consumers from data collection etc. 

It's been a while since I've done a bog-standard non-DEP Apple Setup, but doesn't iOS ask you about personalized ads during initial setup?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Maybe I'm dumb, but I havent seen any Apple ads? Are these the ones that come up in free apps?

9 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

But it would be better for them to be more transparent

nothing goes better together than apple and not being as transparent as wanted

✨FNIGE✨

Apple's position on privacy is that they are they only ones who are entitled to collect your data,claiming that they are the only ones who can keep it safe.

I am not surprised.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Priority and placement in Map/Store/Search/Music results, banners in free apps, etc.

I guess you can't see what you don't have. Haven't noticed any priority in search results though? I'm probably wrong and its really there though. 

22 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Priority and placement in Map/Store/Search/Music results, banners in free apps, etc.

The only product placement from Apple that I've seen is during first time launching the Music app which will offer an Apple Music trial and the TV app which will offer a trial for Apple TV+. 

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

It's been a while since I've done a bog-standard non-DEP Apple Setup, but doesn't iOS ask you about personalized ads during initial setup?

It does show on initial setup and even when a user agrees, he/she can turn it off in the settings.

IMG_1650.thumb.jpg.4fc6926097ee307246f133f6e0c88fb9.jpgIMG_1651.thumb.jpg.aafd141b7a07619e4ba9a4a6a3e4cb1d.jpg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

11 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

It does show on initial setup and even when a user agrees, he/she can turn it off in the settings.

IMG_1650.thumb.jpg.4fc6926097ee307246f133f6e0c88fb9.jpgIMG_1651.thumb.jpg.aafd141b7a07619e4ba9a4a6a3e4cb1d.jpg

Exactly this. Don’t see how Apple is doing anything wrong. (Eu citizen)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

17 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

The only product placement from Apple that I've seen is during first time launching the Music app which will offer an Apple Music trial and the TV app which will offer a trial for Apple TV+. 

I don't see how they're going to win this case, then.

Perhaps there's an aspect I'm missing?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 3/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, spartaman64 said:

source: https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/09/french-antitrust-complaint-alleges-apple-allows-itself-to-run-personalized-ads-on-ios-without-getting-user-consent/

It doesn't seem like apple is violating ATT rules as per the last quote. But it would be better for them to be more transparent about their own ad policies since they want to market this as something they care about and want to protect the consumers from data collection etc. 

so this is claiming to not be an attempt to remove the rule, but apply it more broadly.  Hmmm... it’s not IMpossible in a way that I can see at least.  Feels kinda unlikely.  I’d want to see who is pushing it though.  Might have to sift through some cut-outs..  If it’s companies that would be discomfited by the TOS change, it’s NOT what it was ever about.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.