which motherboard is better? MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK or MSI Z490-A PRO?

I want to buy an Amd Ryzen 7 3700x or a Core i7 10700, the price is almost the same together.

1 minute ago, GamerGry123 said:

I want to buy an Amd Ryzen 7 3700x or a Core i7 10700, the price is almost the same together.

Well what are you using the pc for? 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Go for the Ryzen CPU, note because the mobo is that much better, but because the Ryzen CPU is way ahead of the Intel one.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

I want to build an Amd Ryzen 7 3700x computer. The price difference between B550 A-PRO and B550 TOMAHAWK is $ 12 is it worth paying extra for the B550 TOMAHAWK version?

5 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Well what are you using the pc for? 

I will be using for games but mainly for editing Adobe Premiere Pro movies. I heard that quicksync is available on the Core i7 10700, thanks to it, the timeline will not stutter. Because I had a Ryzen 5 2600 and the timeline was very stuck in Adobe Premiere Pro and it was in the 720p movie, not even 1080p.

6 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

Go for the Ryzen CPU, note because the mobo is that much better, but because the Ryzen CPU is way ahead of the Intel one.

The Ryzen 7 3700x processor is better than the Core i7 10700 only in rendering movies. But looking only at the motherboard, which one is better and what is better about one of them?

6 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

The Ryzen 7 3700x processor is better than the Core i7 10700 only in rendering movies. But looking only at the motherboard, which one is better and what is better about one of them?

the B550 tommahawk. PCIE Gen 4, simillar quality VRM, and the upgradability is about the same

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

$12? Yes. Normally they're over $30 apart. However, either board will serve you well (Rainbow Duck 2020 is running a R9 3900X on the A-Pro board)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

15 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

I'd say it's definitely worth it

It's worth it, but if you overpay the $ 12, these motherboards are the same.

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

$12? Yes. Normally they're over $30 apart. However, either board will serve you well (Rainbow Duck 2020 is running a R9 3900X on the A-Pro board)

There is a discount in the store, therefore only $ 12. But what are the differences between them?

4 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

There is a discount in the store, therefore only $ 12. But what are the differences between them?

The Tomamhawk is pretty much just better is every way. Better VRMs, better connectivity etc.

4 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

Tomahawk will have better support for Large core CPU sku overclocking. Beyond that, minor things like I/O, RGB, looks/styling. 

B550A would handle a 3700X even OC'd without issue. So it really comes down to the other part ( I believe the tomahawk has 1 or 2 more USB's on its rear if that matters)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

The Tomamhawk is pretty much just better is every way. Better VRMs, better connectivity etc.

No, VRMs have the same both motherboards. And what is connectivity about?

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Tomahawk will have better support for Large core CPU sku overclocking. Beyond that, minor things like I/O, RGB, looks/styling. 

B550A would handle a 3700X even OC'd without issue. So it really comes down to the other part ( I believe the tomahawk has 1 or 2 more USB's on its rear if that matters)

So the B550 TOAHAWK raises the clock speed of one processor core higher? Where did you get this information?
Or maybe it's better to buy B450 TOMAHAWK is much cheaper or is it profitable to do so? Still for me it is important to have two graphics cards in my computer I have RX 570 and GTX 960.

B450 TOMAHAWK probably the bandwidth of the second graphics card will be less. Yes?

So the B550 TOAHAWK raises the clock speed of one processor core higher? Where did you get this information?

That is not at all what I said. 

Tomahawk will have better support for Large core CPU sku overclocking.

Meaning,

When you attempt to use an 8 core, 12 core or 16 core CPU on motherboard, it requires a certain amount of power (flowing through the VRMs) to operate. The Tomahawk is generally better at supporting higher SKU's, by that I meant the family of processors and the number of cores it has. 

The B450 Tomahawk and B550A Pro are similar in the power delivery area, but the B550A has more up to date features such as a 3.1 gen 2 typce c front panel connector. 

7 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

B450 TOMAHAWK probably the bandwidth of the second graphics card will be less. Yes?

Incorrect. Both GPU's will get the same x8 PCI-E lanes regardless of which motherboard they're on, because the number of PCI-E lanes are determined by the CPU, not the motherboard. 

13 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

No, VRMs have the same both motherboards.

Also incorrect.

image.thumb.png.6c4c8788e9f79923b25badca86b18add.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Smj5dh97n32wJqm5dkdDcQt8ID7vH52-lKzaaXUUQx8/edit#gid=0

I'm not an expert of the different types of VRM's (I leave that up to people more interested in that sort of thing), but objectively they are different. 

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That is not at all what I said. 

Meaning,

When you attempt to use an 8 core, 12 core or 16 core CPU on motherboard, it requires a certain amount of power (flowing through the VRMs) to operate. The Tomahawk is generally better at supporting higher SKU's, by that I meant the family of processors and the number of cores it has. 

The B450 Tomahawk and B550A Pro are similar in the power delivery area, but the B550A has more up to date features such as a 3.1 gen 2 typce c front panel connector. 

Incorrect. Both GPU's will get the same x8 PCI-E lanes regardless of which motherboard they're on, because the number of PCI-E lanes are determined by the CPU, not the motherboard. 

Also incorrect.

image.thumb.png.6c4c8788e9f79923b25badca86b18add.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Smj5dh97n32wJqm5dkdDcQt8ID7vH52-lKzaaXUUQx8/edit#gid=0

I'm not an expert of the different types of VRM's (I leave that up to people more interested in that sort of thing), but objectively they are different. 

Okay, I want two graphics cards in my computer, I have an RX 570 for gaming and I have a GTX 960 because I need the Nvenc codec. Will both graphics cards work well with a B450 motherboard? Or will these graphics cards perform better on the B550? If I put in two graphics cards, will the PCI lines be split? 8 lines for the first card and the remaining 8 lines for the second?

5 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

Will both graphics cards work well with a B450 motherboard? Or will these graphics cards perform better on the B550?

They will work exactly the same on either board. Whether they work both on the same motherboard at the same time will depend on what you're trying to use them for. 

5 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

If I put in two graphics cards, will the PCI lines be split? 8 lines for the first card and the remaining 8 lines for the second?

Both will only have eight regardless of which board, because, again,  the Max number of PCI-E lanes are determined by the CPU, not the motherboard. 

17 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

They will work exactly the same on either board. Whether they work both on the same motherboard at the same time will depend on what you're trying to use them for. 

Both will only have eight regardless of which board, because, again,  the Max number of PCI-E lanes are determined by the CPU, not the motherboard. 

This is exactly what I need to run simultaneously 
on the RX 570, it will bring the game, and on 
the GTX 960 it will be OBS lag with the
Nvencs codec for streaming. Is this how it will work
on the TOMAHAWK B450?

20 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

So it will be that from 16 lines 8 will go to RX 570 and 8 lines to GTX 960? If so, does this have an impact on performance?

2 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

This is exactly what I need to run simultaneously 
on the RX 570, it will bring the game, and on 
the GTX 960 it will be OBS lag with the
Nvencs codec for streaming. Is this how it will work
on the TOMAHAWK B450?

It should work, but I am not an expert on how different graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia can be used in the same  system simultaneously. However, I am confident that if it's possible to run the cards in the above described method, the selection of board would not affect this. 

So it will be that from 16 lines 8 will go to RX 570 and 8 lines to GTX 960? If so, does this have an impact on performance?

That is correct. 

Running your cards at Gen 3 x8 will have absolutely no impact on gaming on an RX570, or OBS streaming capabilities on a GTX960. 

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

It should work, but I am not an expert on how different graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia can be used in the same  system simultaneously. However, I am confident that if it's possible to run the cards in the above described method, the selection of board would not affect this. 

That is correct. 

Running your cards at Gen 3 x8 will have absolutely no impact on gaming on an RX570, or OBS streaming capabilities on a GTX960. 

So there is no difference if the graphics card works in 16x or 8x mode?

Just now, GamerGry123 said:

So there is no difference if the graphics card works in 16x or 8x mode?

Correct 🙂 

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Correct 🙂 

Yes? Then why if one graphics card works 16x how could 8x and the performance would be the same?

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Correct 🙂 

See TOMAHAWK B550 motherboard has pci express 4.0 16x and has pci express 3.0 16x. But if two graphics cards are running at the same time, the rx 570 will be in pci express 4.0 slot and will work in 8x mode and the other GTX 960 graphics card will be in pci exres 3.0 slot and will also work in 8x mode? Right? How will it work?

But I do not know what it will be like with the B450 if the first pci express slot is 3.0 16x and the second is 2.0 but does it work in 16x or 4x mode? see the picture.

And will the Amd Ryzen 7 3700x processor work well on the MSI B450 TOAHAWK MAX motherboard? Will the power section overheat? And will the processor not lower the timing so that the power section does not overheat?

2.png