What is f@h?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Keep in mind that it's not FREE.  You'll be paying for the electricity your computer consumes. 

The software can be configured to only work when you're not actually working at the computer, so it won't interfere with you gaming or doing work on the computer.... but keep in mind that the computer will do computations so it will consume energy and will produce some heat  (which can be a good thing in the winter heating up your room)

And... the any system is a bit misleading. Some jobs/projects require that you computer more precisely your processor must have certain instruction sets, like let's say SSE3 or AVX ... some processors may not contain those instructions and therefore won't work with F@H.  

Your processor is relatively modern and should work.

So some users had a f@h badge. What is really Folding@Home?

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro

Monitors:

(1) LG 27'" 27Gl650F-B 144hz 1ms IPS G-Sync Pivot 3

(2) Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz 23.8" 144Hz 1ms G-Sync

Headset:

Kingston HyperX HX-HSCSC2-BK-WW Cloud Stinger Core 

Its a program that you can run on your PC that runs calculations to help the scientific community find cures for diseases, similar to bitcoin mining but instead of getting money you help the world.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

3 minutes ago, cottechguy said:

So some users had a f@h badge. What is really Folding@Home?

Very basic: users who have a pc can lend their "spare" computing power to contribute to projects of their choice, like the recent COVID research among one. You can use your cpu or gpu, so universities etc don't have to spend huge amounts on datacenter calculations.

here's their official website:
https://foldingathome.org/

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

https://linustechtips.com/topic/207857-for-folding-users-tips-tricks-and-faq-updated-july-2016/

TL;DR: by running the Folding at Home program, users share their computer resources for simulations.

These simulations are about the folding of proteins in the human body. Proteins are basically the building blocks of our body and when they misfold, sicknesses can because like Parkinson's, Cancer, Alzheimer and more.

Folding at Home works to simulate these proteins, which scientists can use that data to do their research on, to hopefully one day find a cure for these.

Last year they also added COVID-19 as a target disease.

The Linus Tech Tips team is one of the biggest F@H teams out there, with a whole lot of active users.

Nu running F@H you acquire (meaningless 😉 ) points, which they have assigned certain badges to.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

all answers above this post are correct. It's a program you run where you donate your PC's resources for the betterment of science and in the end mankind as a whole.

if you're interested i highly recommend you join us in the LTT folding team! 😄

Just now, minibois said:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/207857-for-folding-users-tips-tricks-and-faq-updated-july-2016/

TL;DR: by running the Folding at Home program, users share their computer resources for simulations.

These simulations are about the folding of proteins in the human body. Proteins are basically the building blocks of our body and when they misfold, sicknesses can because like Parkinson's, Cancer, Alzheimer and more.

Folding at Home works to simulate these proteins, which scientists can use that data to do their research on, to hopefully one day find a cure for these.

Last year they also added COVID-19 as a target disease.

The Linus Tech Tips team is one of the biggest F@H teams out there, with a whole lot of active users.

Nu running F@H you acquire (meaningless 😉 ) points, which they have assigned certain badges to.

Do i need a really high end system?

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Monitors:

Headset:

1 minute ago, cottechguy said:

Any system will do. Theoretically you could assemble a PC out of 10 year old hardware and set it up for folding. In fact that's what many people did.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Any system will do. Theoretically you could assemble a PC out of 10 year old hardware and set it up for folding. In fact that's what many people did.

So a 2nd Gen i5 optiplex is good?

Dream build:

Spoiler

Peripherals:

Monitors:

Headset:

7 minutes ago, cottechguy said:

So a 2nd Gen i5 optiplex is good?

You're literally donating your spare computing power. ANYTHING you can spare is great.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 minutes ago, cottechguy said:

Certainly not, everything helps!

It's all about the simulating of proteins, which can be done on any system.

Of course a higher end system will be able to acquire the points quicker, but again, meaningless points 🙂 it's a about the scientific advancements!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Keep in mind that it's not FREE.  You'll be paying for the electricity your computer consumes. 

The software can be configured to only work when you're not actually working at the computer, so it won't interfere with you gaming or doing work on the computer.... but keep in mind that the computer will do computations so it will consume energy and will produce some heat  (which can be a good thing in the winter heating up your room)

And... the any system is a bit misleading. Some jobs/projects require that you computer more precisely your processor must have certain instruction sets, like let's say SSE3 or AVX ... some processors may not contain those instructions and therefore won't work with F@H.  

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Its my dream build

Dream build:

Spoiler

Peripherals:

Monitors:

Headset:

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well, F&@#!

Dream build:

Spoiler

Peripherals:

Monitors:

Headset: