What games have I missed out on?

Aereldor

I'm looking for recommendations based on all of my favourite games so far - games I may have missed out on that are very similar to all of the games I've listed. 

My favourites are, in no particular order - 

• The Witcher 3
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Largely open-world, single player, story driven RPGs. Bonus points if they're well-optimized, then I can run them at 4k on my TV.

Red Dead Redemption 2 ?

If you like open world, solo online grind, super realistic environment, this is the best to date.

It will look super nice even on 1060 (not in 4K anyway).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Some of mine that spring to mind:

• Cyberpunk 2077 -- despite everything it's a good and fun game in my eyes.
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla -- nothing new really, but the world is massive and has a fresh feel to it.
  • Mass Effect series -- might want to wait for the remaster this year.
  • Death Stranding -- more of a walking simulator and not really an RPG, but a unique game in my opinion.
  • NieR: Automata
  • Tomb Raider trilogy if those count as RPGs.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 ?

If you like open world, solo online grind, super realistic environment, this is the best to date.

It will look super nice even on 1060 (not in 4K anyway).

I own RDR2, got it on deep sale... Really couldn't get into it, the game felt disconnected, slow, and uncompelling. Maybe I was playing it wrong.

I know the cowboy theme is not for everyone.

Finish the prelude until you can explore the world.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I didn't like RDR2 either (played it on PS4 Pro). I understand why some love it but personally I just found the game such a chore to play, everything you do is needlessly convoluted. I know it is immersive but I just didn't find the game to be fun to play.

As for the games I'd recommend tikker made good list, I'd add Assassin's Creed Odyssey which I rate as the best of the AC games I've played (Valhalla, Odyssey and Origins).

17 minutes ago, JR1911 said:

I didn't like RDR2 either (played it on PS4 Pro). I understand why some love it but personally I just found the game such a chore to play, everything you do is needlessly convoluted. I know it is immersive but I just didn't find the game to be fun to play.

As for the games I'd recommend tikker made good list, I'd add Assassin's Creed Odyssey which I rate as the best of the AC games I've played (Valhalla, Odyssey and Origins).

Ha I'm waiting for Odyssey to hit a super deep discount price, 80% and I'll buy it. Haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since back when it was about Altair, Templars, and the Middle East

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Ha I'm waiting for Odyssey to hit a super deep discount price, 80% and I'll buy it. Haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since back when it was about Altair, Templars, and the Middle East

The standard edition is currently -70% on Ubisoft Store while the Ultimate, Gold and Deluxe editions are -75% if you're willing to buy the game there.

13 minutes ago, JR1911 said:

The standard edition is currently -70% on Ubisoft Store while the Ultimate, Gold and Deluxe editions are -75% if you're willing to buy the game there.

Steam does region pricing so it'll only be about $6 for me when it's 80% off, good to know about Ubisoft store sales though

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Dragon Age: Origins

The Pillars of Eternity series is a similar modern-CRPG experience.

Disco Elysium is a text-heavy no-combat CRPG that IMO is a masterpiece and the best game of the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

The Witcher 3

Could potentially go back and play Witcher 1/2. They get pretty cheap on Steam sales.

15 hours ago, Aereldor said:

I'm looking for recommendations based on all of my favourite games so far - games I may have missed out on that are very similar to all of the games I've listed. 

• The Witcher 3
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Largely open-world, single player, story driven RPGs. Bonus points if they're well-optimized, then I can run them at 4k on my TV.

Well if you're in the market for some JRPGs, then I would definitely recommend the Yakuza series.

Interesting that you bring up Xenoblade. If you're not afraid to use emulators I suggest you try out Xenoblade chronicles X, which was released for Wii U. Many people believe a Switch port is only a matter of time, but Monolith Software hasn't said anything on it. Also try to find the Xenogear and Xenosaga games, the predecessors to Xenoblade. 

A game that I haven't tried out yet is Red Dead Revolver, the PS2 predecessor to Red Dead Redemption.

15 hours ago, gloop said:

The Pillars of Eternity series is a similar modern-CRPG experience.

Disco Elysium is a text-heavy no-combat CRPG that IMO is a masterpiece and the best game of the last 10 years.

Could potentially go back and play Witcher 1/2. They get pretty cheap on Steam sales.

Played Witcher 1 ages ago, never got past the first 'act' of Witcher 2, suppose I'll give that a go. Either that or Odyssey

In addition to some of the ones you already listed, I personally like these:

Red Dead Redemption 2

Vampyr

The Sinking City

Cyberpunk

I also heard that Assassin's Creed Valhalla and  are pretty decent as well. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, Aereldor said:

I think Origins has a better story and is older so you may get it for a better price.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

8 minutes ago, jones177 said:

I think Origins has a better story and is older so you may get it for a better price.

I care more about the gameplay and exploration, which is what Odyssey is all about according to one of my favourite youtubers 2KliksPhilip. Though if I wait long enough I might get both in a bundle

One game that hasn't been mentioned yet and might be worth checking out is Immortals Fenyx Rising. I haven't played it yet myself but I've heard some good things about it and I just ordered the Gold Edition on PS4. I'm on vacation next week so got to have something to pass the time 🙂

7 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I care more about the gameplay and exploration, which is what Odyssey is all about according to one of my favourite youtubers 2KliksPhilip. Though if I wait long enough I might get both in a bundle

I bought Odyssey first and then got Origins. 

The only thing Odyssey has over Origins in game play is the Spartan kick. Archery and sword play are about the same. 

I found exploring more fun in Origins since finding ways to enter pyramids was more fun than Greek temples to me. 

I was not happy with Valhalla and stopped playing it. In Odyssey and Origins I could find enough recourses going from place to place so it never felt like a grind but not with Valhalla.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

58 minutes ago, JR1911 said:

One game that hasn't been mentioned yet and might be worth checking out is Immortals Fenyx Rising. I haven't played it yet myself but I've heard some good things about it and I just ordered the Gold Edition on PS4. I'm on vacation next week so got to have something to pass the time 🙂

Thanks for being the only person who recommended a game that wasn't a super-famous triple-A title like RDR2 or Cyberpunk or Death Sranding lmao.

It looks like all of the shameless Breath of the Wild knockoffs like Genshin Impact, Craftopia, Windbound... Which means I'm probably going to play it haha. There's going to be hundreds of these coming though

57 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Thanks for being the only person who recommended a game that wasn't a super-famous triple-A title like RDR2 or Cyberpunk or Death Sranding lmao.

It looks like all of the shameless Breath of the Wild knockoffs like Genshin Impact, Craftopia, Windbound... Which means I'm probably going to play it haha. There's going to be hundreds of these coming though

If you're also interested in playing small indie games then I'd definitely recommend Cat Quest and Cat Quest II. I've played them both and they are utterly charming little action RPGs, though if you don't like cats or cat puns you might not enjoy them 🙂

On 2/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, Aereldor said:

• The Witcher 3
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Plague Tale: Innocence Lost, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Bioshock Series, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Fallout New Vegas w/ Mods (Some of the best content creators are within this modding community), Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

29 minutes ago, DelavorexIndustries said:

Plague Tale: Innocence

I absolutely hated this game. 

Bioshock Series

Played

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Looks like this is my next game thanks

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

It looks super dated, barely remastered, but I may still try

10 hours ago, Aereldor said:

I absolutely hated this game. 

Played

Looks like this is my next game thanks

It looks super dated, barely remastered, but I may still try

You can use Ubisoft's client and coins for a decent discount if the game is not on sale, or a site like G2A/GOG. Steam runs sales multiple times a year if you wait. As far as KOA: Re-Reckoning, I agree. I own the original but to my knowledge you can no longer purchase the original through steam which is a shame. It would be far cheaper for the same content. I would also recommend Mass Effect Andromeda (Seems to run the best on the PC platform) and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I saw someone else mention Immortals Fenyx Rising; I didn't know that was available on PC however I have it on switch and can definitely recommend it. Same goes for Hades.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:45 PM, Aereldor said:

• The Witcher 3
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

If you like open world, story driven, rpg type games I'd recommend The Division 1 and 2, Batman: Arkham Knight, or maybe something like Shadow of Mordor.

They all have quite developed storylines, and you can try out the Division free over at the Ubisoft store, and Mordor is on game pass if you have that.

Batman is usually on sale every few months too.