Up to two thirds of marketing Emails sent in the UK contain an "invisible pixel" tracker, BBC cals it endemic.

Master Disaster

The BBC commissioned an internet messaging service to analyse its traffic looking for trackers and found that up to 2 out of 3 emails sent to customers in the UK now contains an "invisible pixel". These emails are coming from some of the UKs biggest brands with a notable exception being "big tech" firms.

The use of "invisible" tracking tech in emails is now "endemic", according to a messaging service that analysed its traffic at the BBC's request.

Hey's review indicated that two-thirds of emails sent to its users' personal accounts contained a "spy pixel", even after excluding for spam.

Its makers said that many of the largest brands used email pixels, with the exception of the "big tech" firms.

The list of what these trackers can do is pretty worrying and an industry veteran has called it "a grotesque invasion of privacy"

Emails pixels can be used to log:

• if and when an email is opened
  • how many times it is opened
  • what device or devices are involved
  • the user's rough physical location, deduced from their internet protocol (IP) address - in some cases making it possible to see the street the recipient is on

This information can then be used to determine the impact of a specific email campaign, as well as to feed into more detailed customer profiles.

Hey's co-founder David Heinemeier Hansson says they amount to a "grotesque invasion of privacy".

An invisible pixel is a GIF or PNG image that can be as small as 1x1 pixels and can be coloured to match its background making it totally invisible to the user. The user also doesn't have to click the pixel to activate the tracker, simply opening the email is enough.

Tracking pixels are typically a .GIF or .PNG file that is as small as 1x1 pixels, which is inserted into the header, footer or body of an email.

Since they often show the colour of the content below, they can be impossible to spot with the naked eye even if you know where to look.

Recipients do not need to click on a link or do anything to activate them beyond open an email they are embedded in.

British Airways, TalkTalk, Vodafone, Sainsbury's, Tesco, HSBC, Marks & Spencer, Asos and Unilever are among UK brands Hey detected to be using them.

But their use was much more widespread despite many members of the public being unaware of it, said Mr Hansson.

"It's not like there's a flag saying 'this email includes a spy pixel' in most email software," he added.

Some email clients have plugins which will stop them from working or you can just stop your email client from automatically opening pictures.

Alternatively, users can install free plug-ins into other email programs to strip out many pixel trackers. Other options are to simply set their software to block all images by default, or to view emails as plain text.

"On average, every Hey customer receives 24 emails per day that attempt to spy on them," Mr Hansson said.

"The top 10% of users receive more than 50.

"We're processing over one million emails a day and we're just a tiny service compared to the likes of Gmail, but that's north of 600,000 spying attempts blocked every day."

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56071437

Gonna be honest and say, until today I'd never heard of this at all and I like to keep up to date on this type of stuff. Luckily I use Thunderbird which is set to not open images automatically OOTB, I guess now I know why.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Gonna be honest and say, until today I'd never heard of this at all and I like to keep up to date on this type of stuff. Luckily I use Thunderbird which is set to not open images automatically OOTB, I guess now I know why.

Tracking pixels have been common practice for ages. Which is exactly why you can set e.g. Thunderbird to not load images by default and/or block online content in emails. Or if you want to go even more extreme, set it to display plain text content only.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Most popular email services block images anyway so away with ye 1px transparency

Tracking pixels I think originated around the start of the commercial web era. Older people may remember when many web pages would include a visit counter, and it kinda followed on from there. Personally I do have images off by default in my e-mails. Most of the time it is just cosmetic so you don't miss anything.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:
  • if and when an email is opened
  • how many times it is opened
  • what device or devices are involved
  • the user's rough physical location, deduced from their internet protocol (IP) address - in some cases making it possible to see the street the recipient is on

All easily solved by not opening junk mail. As for IP trackers, unless you're sharing with the world where you are (intentionally), the odds are your location will show up as the ISP's gateway, or at some network node miles from where you live. If e-mails are being used to track locations for 'vulnerable people' (i.e. their physical location for criminal intent), it would be easier to just pick a street of pensioners, rather than mess with e-mails. Either works, and neither assesses physical security or police presence.

That's why some folk prefer to be anon online. It's no big conspiracy of weird people. It's common sense.

~ Gaming since 1980 ~

PassMark | UserBench

Tracking pixels have been around for years and years, I don't know why this is news.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Tracking pixels have been around for years and years, I don't know why this is news.

But lot of people don't know this method of tracking pixels. Even I didn't know that. When I shared this information at my friends, they say they didn't know that.

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

On 2/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, camieabz said:

As for IP trackers, unless you're sharing with the world where you are (intentionally), the odds are your location will show up as the ISP's gateway, or at some network node miles from where you live.

but that can still be used to know in which city or district you live

On 2/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, camieabz said:

location will show up as the ISP's gateway, or at some network node miles from where you live

what if you have a static IP?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

That shouldn't matter. I have a static IP, and Google maps think I'm 500 miles from where I really am. It's all down to whether you share your location in websites and search engines. 🙂

~ Gaming since 1980 ~

PassMark | UserBench