Which router is better to take for home use?

keavlar

Hey guys. 

Kinda short question. 

I wanna switch my provider router, to my own. 

I am debating which one of 2 to take?! 

TP link

Archer AX50 or Archer AX20

https://www.tp-link.com/us/compare/?typeId=9&productIds=34810%2C36411%2C34812

I do not have a 1gb speed here yet., 

Max is 100mb/s.

But when we will get the Optic fiber then I will at least have a proper router.

My question, if with my speed, this routers will work, or maybe there is some requirements for tohues  routers?

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

The big issue with ISPsand routers is the ISP generally only does its testing with the specific model they sell.  As such anything else can run into weird issues the ISP will not help you with.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The big issue with ISPsand routers is the ISP generally only does its testing with the specific model they sell.  As such anything else can run into weird issues the ISP will not help you with.

Like what ?

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

The ax50 is a faster model, that seems to support the wider channels, but it likely won't make a noticable difference, esp with a 100mb connections.

Nice choice with the TP Link family, first of all. I have the AC1900. I think if you're spending this kind of money, spend the few extra dollars and just get what is clearly the best out of the few you chose. AX50.

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

If you're thinking you will get Gigabit some point in the future and use the same router then I'd give up on that idea right now.  Gigabit capable routers are expensive but will only get cheaper over time, investing in one now would be a waste of money unless it offers other functionality you want.  TP Link especially are the budget of router manufacturers, I'd definitely not recommend them for Gigabit and in fact only used their equipment running custom firmware.

At the other end of the scale there is what I did.  I went with a full x86 PC as a router running pfSense because I knew I would want to fiddle with all the advanced functionality and "hoped" it would work with Gigabit if that ever became an option (long story short, it should be some time this year).  As an average home user (which I certainly am not), its totally overkill, only worth it if you want get into more advanced networking.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, keavlar said:

I do not have a 1gb speed here yet., 

Max is 100mb/s.

But when we will get the Optic fiber then I will at least have a proper router.

A few things. 

1) Even if a router has a Gigabit port doesnt mean it supports gigabit ethernet. Not many routers can NAT at 1Gbps. Like @Alex Atkin UKsaid, those routers that can tend to be pricy. For example my router the Synology RT2600AC can support Gigabit Internet but cost me about $200 USD. For the record I only have 200 Mbps service. 

2) Ive seen Fiber installed two ways. Option 1 I call the Verizon FIOS way (Right way). They install an optical converter at your home. It takes the Fiber and converts it to copper. Coax or Ethernet generally. From there you hook up your router. 

Option 2 The AT&T way (the shit way). They provide a optical converter/ router combo. From the reading I have done, its a POS. They dont support bridge mode on the device. It does have IP pass thru but thats not the best solution. 

You need to figure out how the Fiber ISP installs service. Because you dont want to hook a router to a router if you can help it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Archer AX50

The Archer AX50 seems to perform decently according to reviews and can get pretty close to gigabit speed on WiFi, although it does fall short. I don't think the AX20 will be able to keep up with those speeds based on random user experiences on Google searches.

Keep in mind the advice given before and also that your own experience might differ based on how big your home is, the number of walls/floors and sources of interference.

Also, if you don't plan to upgrade your client devices to WiFi 6, then this wireless router is very overkill.

Like what ?

Big ISPs tend to test to hardware rather than spec.  The result is a system theat is almost but not quite spec.  For example the isp I use used “surf boards”. You could buy one at a store, but god help you  if you had something else.  I was advised to just buy the model they used, so I did.  This applies only to the modem, but frequently they are combined units.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Also, if you don't plan to upgrade your client devices to WiFi 6, then this wireless router is very overkill.

I don't necessarily see it that way, as generally newer chipsets perform better even on older clients.  They can have better CPU offloading, more efficient amplifiers (as faster speeds means needing a cleaner signal), better CPU in the router, etc.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7