What program to download youtube video/songs for free on Windows laptop?

paulyron

A while back, I used this program called YTD Video Downloader that i installed on my windows computer.  I would copy/paste the link of the youtube video... whether it was a video or song... then it would download it pretty fast.  Then i would i believe change the song format to where i could play it on winamp on my computer.  Then i transferred a lot of these songs to my iphone via itunes to play music there.

But a while back, I noticed the youtubedownloader program no longer worked.  Im not sure if it asked me to upgrade to the new version or not.  

But can someone tell me what software/program i can use on my windows ten laptop where i could download videos/songs and save them on my laptop?  And also use it to transfer to itunes and then to my iphone?  Thing is i want to make sure the program is safe and doesn't have malware which is what im concerned about.  I know the YTD Video Downloader program a while back i used had no issues with my computer.

I'm confused.  But I thought lot of people download songs on youtube and then save it on their computer and then transfer to their iphone using itunes?  Don't the majority of people do this?  Can't imagine people paying a dollar for every song they want to download.  And im talking about old songs.... not like new songs.  

Or do people pay a monthly fee to stream music then?  I ask this because when im on the computer during the day, i would play lot of music from youtube... even made many playlists etc.  But the big difference is its playing the music via the chrome browser.  Like i wouldnt mind downloading the songs and playing them on winamp especially if say im using my data tethered on my iphone for my laptop for example.

8 minutes ago, paulyron said:

I'm confused.  But I thought lot of people download songs on youtube and then save it on their computer and then transfer to their iphone using itunes?  Don't the majority of people do this?  Can't imagine people paying a dollar for every song they want to download.  And im talking about old songs.... not like new songs.  

Or do people pay a monthly fee to stream music then?  I ask this because when im on the computer during the day, i would play lot of music from youtube... even made many playlists etc.  But the big difference is its playing the music via the chrome browser.  Like i wouldnt mind downloading the songs and playing them on winamp especially if say im using my data tethered on my iphone for my laptop for example.

Most people use streaming services and pay a monthly fee, or just use a streaming service, such as Spotify or YouTube/YT music- Obviously the free versions, lol. Iirc most youtube videos are under copyright protection, which makes it *technically* illegal to download them without something along the lines of proper licensing and/or express permission, neither of which you're going to realistically get, even if these policies aren't really enforced. Youtube will try to shut down these websites, but those who use them won't usually be punished for using them. If you have a youtube music app and membership you can "download" them but you don't have access to them outside of the app, and if your membership expires youtube doesn't give you access to them within the app, until you renew.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

7 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Some services however, will get around this by saying "If the user uses our service to download copyrighted content, we'll suspend their accounts and remove the song/video from out download lists, as long as it as pointed out to us, and we don't endorse the use of our service to download copyrighted content." So still illegal for the user, not so much the website.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

20 minutes ago, paulyron said:

A while back, I used this program called YTD Video Downloader that i installed on my windows computer.  I would copy/paste the link of the youtube video... whether it was a video or song... then it would download it pretty fast.  Then i would i believe change the song format to where i could play it on winamp on my computer.  Then i transferred a lot of these songs to my iphone via itunes to play music there.

But a while back, I noticed the youtubedownloader program no longer worked.  Im not sure if it asked me to upgrade to the new version or not.  

But can someone tell me what software/program i can use on my windows ten laptop where i could download videos/songs and save them on my laptop?  And also use it to transfer to itunes and then to my iphone?  Thing is i want to make sure the program is safe and doesn't have malware which is what im concerned about.  I know the YTD Video Downloader program a while back i used had no issues with my computer.

use y2mate.com with a adblocker!

hey! i know to use a computer

24 minutes ago, paulyron said:

YTD Video Downloader

I don't trust those programs.

One could record the audio with Audacity.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

9 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

I don't trust those programs.

One could record the audio with Audacity.

The youtube-dl software hosted on github is open source and has tons of contributors. You can trust it.

Web based stuff I'd be suspcious of.

I use this thing called Free youtube downloader, its been a while since I downloaded this so i dnt remember where I got it from but I guess a quick google search will tell. This program gets the job done very well for me. You get to chose the video quality too. However I have noticed that videos that have been flagged for using copyright content cannot be downloaded using this. So im not sure if music can be downloaded from it.

image.png.b5ddf34e1a6fcb6ddb8f2ec5cf5986d1.png

Edited by Shammikit

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, Rugg said:

The youtube-dl software hosted on github is open source and has tons of contributors. You can trust it.

Web based stuff I'd be suspcious of.

Can i download it from the official site?  Certain that is more safer than github right?  What is official site of it?

6 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Can i download it from the official site?  Certain that is more safer than github right?  What is official site of it?

Their official site is hosted via GitHub pages too. There is essentially zero security risk to anything of it. Btw this tool is just command line based but its pretty simple to get going.

http://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

Or the github releases page

https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/releases

All you have to do is type a command line this from the command line

youtube-dl.exe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDmtjNiwSE

And it will grab a mp4 for you. There are many configuration options via command flags too. For more control you're going to want to look at the whole list of options. https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/tree/2021.02.10#output-template.

Thanks.  But i thought that is strange that there is no official link.

21 hours ago, Shammikit said:

I use this thing called Free youtube downloader, its been a while since I downloaded this so i dnt remember where I got it from but I guess a quick google search will tell. This program gets the job done very well for me. You get to chose the video quality too. However I have noticed that videos that have been flagged for using copyright content cannot be downloaded using this. So im not sure if music can be downloaded from it.

image.png.b5ddf34e1a6fcb6ddb8f2ec5cf5986d1.png

What is the official website that you downloaded this on?

2 hours ago, paulyron said:

What is the official website that you downloaded this on?

As I said, its been a while since I downloaded so I cant remember. Searching it now only brings up a download option from CNET downloads and it has flags for malware so I dont recommend downloading from them.

In this app there is a visit our website option from the help tab and it redirects here: https://vidd.ly/ 

I guessed they have changed their name. Maybe give it a try.

image.png.1cc723918d6e891092f78bee694cb18c.png

You can use 4kdownload.It can download youtube video and can also download as audio

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

19 hours ago, Gamer4714 said:

You can use 4kdownload.It can download youtube video and can also download as audio

Is it safe from malware and everything like that?  That is my major concern here.

2 hours ago, paulyron said:

Is it safe from malware and everything like that?  That is my major concern here.

I've used it and I don't see any problem.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

• 2 weeks later...