guys why is windows defender eating so much ram?

Mohammad Saleh

guys why is windows defender eating so much tried to seclude the task and also turned off real time protection but to no avail

Screenshot 2021-02-10 100905.png

1 minute ago, BiotechBen said:

158MB isn't very much unless you are running like 2GB of memory, I wouldn't worry about defender making much of a difference using 148MB of RAM. The EDGE tabs are what's going to kill your memory usage.

i know but defender idle usage with and without defender win defender it is 43% without it is 37%

Just now, Mohammad Saleh said:

i know but defender idle usage with and without defender win defender it is 43% without it is 37%   i also have 10 tabs open when doing work 

Windows Defender right now on my PC is 142MB, pretty sure it's always around this everyday...

You only think 6% increase is a lot because you don't have more ram where it would actually be much less than that of an increase in usage.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I wonder if Windows Defender adjusts how much RAM to use depending on the PC configuration.  I have 32GB of RAM and when I look at how much RAM is used, it reports back 325MB being used.  As someone also points out browsers are the biggest memory users particularly as you open more tabs.  Unless I see particular bottlenecks in programs I don't really monitor this  much at all.  I let Windows do its job and I would say that Win10 does this quite well.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

150 MB is like 1-2 tabs of youtube or something similar, so it's really not that big of a deal.

10 hours ago, Pirulax said:

The easiest way to fix this problem is to buy some more RAM. It seems to me that you have like 4 GB of RAM, which really just wont cut it in 2021.

i have 8gb of ram

3 hours ago, Alan G said:

I wonder if Windows Defender adjusts how much RAM to use depending on the PC configuration.  I have 32GB of RAM and when I look at how much RAM is used, it reports back 325MB being used.  As someone also points out browsers are the biggest memory users particularly as you open more tabs.  Unless I see particular bottlenecks in programs I don't really monitor this  much at all.  I let Windows do its job and I would say that Win10 does this quite well.

i know i have 10 edge tabs open but without them it is also like 43 to 45%  usage

In an 8gb RAM system, 158MB of RAM being used is roughly 2%( little less than that depending on how much is system reserved and other overhead) 2% useage by a system process is honestly nothing to worry about. If you had 100 pennies and you lost 2, would you be running around with your hair on fire, or would you go "shiz happens".