Are all non budget 27 inch, 1440p displays for gaming 144Hz now?

cummerou1

So I've been looking for a monitor for a friend, he only plays RPG's and such, so my hope was to be able to focus on maximum eye candy and "downgrade" the Hz to 60 and save some money. But it seems like 60Hz has been relegated to the budget and non gaming section exclusively. Am I looking the wrong places or is that correct? 

For some context, he wants a 27 inch curved monitor, planned GPU is the 3060 Ti, only plays RPG/adventure style games like AC:Valhalla, Skyrim, Cyberpunk etc. He wants to be able to play on High to ultra settings, and wants the PC to last 4+ years. I figured in that case, he wants to maximise eye candy, with anything over 60-80 Hz being mostly irrelevant for those kinds of games.

4K would obvs look better, but would very likely need an upgrade sooner than 4 years if he wants to play everything on ultra. So I figured 1440p would be a good choice. Looking at rtings and generally online however, it seems like anything above 250 pounds or so is automatically 144Hz. 

Would I just have to look at the best 144Hz monitors or are there some good ones that are lower Hz? 

4 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

it seems like 60Hz has been relegated to the budget and non gaming section exclusively

what do you mean by "non gaming" in this sense? the "gaming" branding is just a marketing tool anyways

there are inexpensive options

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&F=683260000,1651000000&sort=price&page=1

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you want good colour accuracy you will have to pay for it. If you want something nice and middleground the asus proart 1440p is 75hz and has really really good colours for 300$

I do not recommend curved monitors at all due to a lot of colour shifting and them not offering much if anything extra at that size

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

what do you mean by "non gaming" in this sense? the "gaming" branding is just a marketing tool anyways

there are inexpensive options

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&F=683260000,1651000000&sort=price&page=1

Yes and no. "gaming" monitors usually have lower response times than "non-gaming" monitors, and they usually have less tearing because they almost always have extra features like GSync/Freesync. The RGB on the back of the monitor and the "hey we're gamers too!" branding is just a marketing tool though.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

29 minutes ago, tishous said:

Yes and no. "gaming" monitors usually have lower response times than "non-gaming" monitors, and they usually have less tearing because they almost always have extra features like GSync/Freesync. The RGB on the back of the monitor and the "hey we're gamers too!" branding is just a marketing tool though.

Yeah, I said gaming because usually "regular" Monitors have much higher response times and no g-sync/free sync

54 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If you want good colour accuracy you will have to pay for it. If you want something nice and middleground the asus proart 1440p is 75hz and has really really good colours for 300$

I do not recommend curved monitors at all due to a lot of colour shifting and them not offering much if anything extra at that size

It doesn't have to be cheap, I just figured there'd be no reason to pay for the 144Hz feature if you could get a great monitor for cheaper if it's 60 Hz (let's say the great 144Hz monitor is 500, and the 60Hz version is 400, might as well get the 400 version then instead of paying extra for a feature that's not needed) 

41 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

It doesn't have to be cheap, I just figured there'd be no reason to pay for the 144Hz feature if you could get a great monitor for cheaper if it's 60 Hz (let's say the great 144Hz monitor is 500, and the 60Hz version is 400, might as well get the 400 version then instead of paying extra for a feature that's not needed) 

It's better to have that extra capacity (meaning have 144hz) even if you are not necessarily going to need it right now.

It gives you some leeway, and when the opportunity is there to have over 60fps he can take advantage of that rather than always being limited.

Personally, I'd go for 144hz - unless it really is a tight budget.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:06 PM, cummerou1 said:

be no reason to pay for the 144Hz feature if you could get a great monitor for cheaper

there's a reason tho and you don't (for the most part) 

what u want is highly imbalanced and as such will be hard - impossible to find... 

It's like buying a Lamborghini and saying but I want VW seats because hard sports seats suck anyway.  🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/9/2021 at 2:02 AM, cummerou1 said:

So I've been looking for a monitor for a friend, he only plays RPG's and such, so my hope was to be able to focus on maximum eye candy and "downgrade" the Hz to 60 and save some money. But it seems like 60Hz has been relegated to the budget and non gaming section exclusively. Am I looking the wrong places or is that correct? 

For some context, he wants a 27 inch curved monitor, planned GPU is the 3060 Ti, only plays RPG/adventure style games like AC:Valhalla, Skyrim, Cyberpunk etc. He wants to be able to play on High to ultra settings, and wants the PC to last 4+ years. I figured in that case, he wants to maximise eye candy, with anything over 60-80 Hz being mostly irrelevant for those kinds of games.

4K would obvs look better, but would very likely need an upgrade sooner than 4 years if he wants to play everything on ultra. So I figured 1440p would be a good choice. Looking at rtings and generally online however, it seems like anything above 250 pounds or so is automatically 144Hz. 

Would I just have to look at the best 144Hz monitors or are there some good ones that are lower Hz? 

generally a decent monitor at 27 inch and up will come with a higher refresh rate option by default at 1440p 

if you wanted to save a buck and go for 60hz, then yes, most of those options are either budget (which should be what you're looking for anyway, budget option generally don't lack much compare to the mid range and high end panel anyway, especially when image quality is a concern - they will look the same more or less) 

higher end 1440p 60hz do exist, Dell especially has a lot of offering at that price point (check their Ultrasharp line) but typically what you got for paying more in that price range is colour accuracy which largely doesn't affect gaming (but you also tend to get IPS which also has its own advantage)

but really, if you want to go that route, you might as well go 4k, you can always lower resolution when game become too demanding but can also use it for Youtube and Netflix. That and future big title will probably come with AI upscaling feature anyway and 4k do benefit a lot from that feature 

I have the pixio px 275h, 27 inch 1440p 95 hz it's still available refurbished for like 230 from the pixio website, idk why they they only have refurbished in stock now, it's a great monitor and good compromise between resolution and fps for mid range gpus.

https://pixiogaming.com/products/px275h-certified-refurbished?variant=34399348818052&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2021-01-15&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQiApY6BBhCsARIsAOI_GjaIclKKLzTfHwQhUn89MOjn6YCNpalIPIDxlD6iLzFA1U7Cu6_TjgAaAqFXEALw_wcB

Or you could always get a 60 hz or 75 hz office monitor but it might not be worth the savings because something with a lower refresh rate might be less future proof for gpu upgrades.