ESD Wrist strap

DannyBoii
Go to solution Solved by akio123008,
6 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

If I  have the strap on properly does it ground all of me?

Also if I attach the clip to my PSU grate (with the psu turned off but plugged into a power strip) do I need the power strip turned off as well?

1) Yes.

2) It depends on how the power strip is wired. Normally, the ground is connected regardless of it being on or off.

In general, it also doesn't matter if the power supply is turned on or off, or even if the computer is running or not. The ground is connected regardless. The only reason people like Linus and other tech YouTubers etc. advise you to have it powered off, is because it's not recommended to work on live electrical appliances, not because the ground won't work.

I'm trying to pin down a thorough "how to" for using a ESD Strap. So far I think I understand it for the most part, but would like to ask a few things.

Also if I attach the clip to my PSU grate (with the psu turned off but plugged into a power strip) do I need the power strip turned off as well?

Thanks guys.

1 minute ago, DannyBoii said:

Assuming the strap is connected to something grounded (like your PSU, plugged into the wall), yes.

Electricity always tries to find the easiest way out, so in theory that electricity will always just go to ground via the ESD wrist strap

2 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

The power strip doesn't have to be turned off, it also doesn't have to be turned on either. (as in: it doesn't matter).

Turning the PSU off already ensured there is no power going into it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

1) Yes.

2) It depends on how the power strip is wired. Normally, the ground is connected regardless of it being on or off.

In general, it also doesn't matter if the power supply is turned on or off, or even if the computer is running or not. The ground is connected regardless. The only reason people like Linus and other tech YouTubers etc. advise you to have it powered off, is because it's not recommended to work on live electrical appliances, not because the ground won't work.

13 hours ago, DannyBoii said:

To avoid any fatal accidents done by user error I wouldn't advise you to do that (there is nothing wrong with it being done correctly but since you seem not to know how this stuff works maybe you do something that you will regret hopefully being able to regret it ) 

Instead, just plug it into a (relatively large) metal surface e.g the leg of your desk,  it can act as a ground as well 

9 hours ago, papajo said:

To avoid any fatal accidents done by user error I wouldn't advise you to do that (there is nothing wrong with it being done correctly but since you seem not to know how this stuff works maybe you do something that you will regret hopefully being able to regret it ) 

Instead, just plug it into a (relatively large) metal surface e.g the leg of your desk,  it can act as a ground as well 

I don't have spare sheet metal I can just drop on my desk, sadly. Why not the PSU?

10 hours ago, papajo said:

That'll only work if you connect the case to it as well.

53 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

I don't have spare sheet metal I can just drop on my desk, sadly. Why not the PSU?

Just don't poke a metal stick far into it. Clipping it on the PSU cage should be fine. If you have a metal case that's also fine.

A shock will occur when you and the part you are working on are at a different potential. ESD ground bracelets put you and what you work with on the same potential. If the PSU is plugged into a grounded wall socket (assuming it's a safe unit that has ground 😛), than that same potential will be actual ground, but being at the same potential is the important part. Since the PSU is screwed onto the case with metal screws, the case is grounded as well. The motherboard is grounded to the PSU through the power connector etc. making the whole thing grounded if everything is right.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

That'll only work if you connect the case to it as well.

Just don't poke a metal stick far into it. Clipping it on the PSU cage should be fine. If you have a metal case that's also fine.

A shock will occur when you and the part you are working on are at a different potential. ESD ground bracelets put you and what you work with on the same potential. If the PSU is plugged into a grounded wall socket (assuming it's a safe unit that has ground 😛), than that same potential will be actual ground, but being at the same potential is the important part. Since the PSU is screwed onto the case with metal screws, the case is grounded as well. The motherboard is grounded to the PSU through the power connector etc. making the whole thing grounded if everything is right.

Most of my outlets are not grounded but the one I'm using for my power strip is. The case I plan to work with is all metal as well. Sounds good to me, I appreciate your help!