Intel Bulks Up Engineering Leadership With Returning Technologist Sunil Shenoy

Summary

In yet another sign that Intel's efforts to rebuild its engineering corps might be swift under the new incoming CEO, Intel announced today that Sunil Shenoy, a 33-year Intel veteran who left the company in 2014, will be returning to the company as the senior vice president and general manager of the Design Engineering Group.

Quotes

In yet another sign that Intel's efforts to rebuild its engineering corps might be swift under the new incoming CEO, Intel announced today that Sunil Shenoy, a 33-year Intel veteran who left the company in 2014, will be returning to the company as the senior vice president and general manager of the Design Engineering Group.

News that Pat Gelsinger, Intel's incoming CEO, would return to the company has sparked optimism among the rank and file as the company seeks to return to its deep technological roots with an engineer at the helm. 

Gelsinger is also attracting other talent, too: Guido Appenzeller, who hails from VMware, also announced via Twitter and Linkedin that he is joining Intel as the CTO of the Data Platforms Group. Appenzeller previously worked under Gelsinger at VMware.

Sunil Shenoy returns to Intel from his position at SiFive, where he was the senior vice president and general manager of its RISC-V program. Sunil previously served at Intel as the corporate vice president in charge of Intel's Platform Engineering Group, where his remit included microprocessor and SoC design across Intel's product groups. He also led the Visual and Parallel Computing Group and server and PC silicon development R&D and engineering, among other responsibilities.

My thoughts

Good news, right? In all seriousness, I hope that intel will get up and get moving. Seems that what linus said in that one WAN show is true," Key talent attracts key talent".

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-bulks-up-engineering-roster-with-returning-technologist-sunil-shenoy

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

it's crazy to think how many billions Intel probably lost simply because of a CEO who obviously had no idea wtf he's doing lol... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

it's crazy to think how many billions Intel probably lost simply because of a CEO who obviously had no idea wtf he's doing lol... 

ikr, I just hope that with these many people back Intel, htey will be able to turn the ship around

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:05 AM, J-from-Nucleon said:

a 33-year Intel veteran who left the company in 2014, will be returning to the company as the senior vice president and general manager of the Design Engineering Group.

Funny how after 2014, it seemed Intel was struggling with manufacturing for their future manufacturing nodes. 

Overall, I'm excited to see the CPU market heat up between AMD and Intel and this will benefit everyone. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Intel currently have record breaking earnings, they haven't lost anything, just earned more than ever

Jim Keller is probably screaming in the distance "Why didn't you do this sooner then I wouldn't have had to resign!" lol

Doubt he actually cares but I do have to wonder if he would have stuck around if he were hired after these changes and not before.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Jim Keller is probably screaming in the distance "Why didn't you do this sooner then I wouldn't have had to resign!" lol

Doubt he actually cares but I do have to wonder if he would have stuck around if he were hired after these changes and not before.

He left Intel for personal reasons, so I don't think Intel could have done anything to keep him. 

7 hours ago, Lakobrija said:

Intel currently have record breaking earnings, they haven't lost anything, just earned more than ever

Yes and no. Who can really know the money they lost by not innovating much during the last decade or so. Maybe they would have had way more profit than they already are having if they kept on innovating and moving on from 14nm. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

He left Intel for personal reasons, so I don't think Intel could have done anything to keep him. 

Personal reasons can mean a lot so as to why he left that's not been disclosed more than that. However recently there were a few murmurs as to why he left, and that was due to disagreements with Intel management over strategic direction and his disappointment of overall progress. Whether that is the only factors, maybe not, but he's only ever signed on with a company for specific interest in a project so if he feels like he's not achieving enough he could well choose to leave and I would have to say that usually comes under "personal reasons" when someone resigns like that. Neither party likes to air their business like that publicly and it's rather unprofessional to do so.

Personal reasons just as often means "I'm not getting what I wanted from this job so I'm leaving" as it does for non employer related reasons. I've known a few people who have changed jobs because of that, sometimes you join a company in a position and have expectations for your role and it doesn't pan out like you wanted or expect and that doesn't have to mean the employer is bad or did anything wrong. Sometimes the grass just isn't greener on the other side.

Here something is even more important in IT because of how small a country we are, "Don't burn bridges". I would say for a public figure like Jim Keller it would apply even more so, a certain Linus hasn't followed this mindset a few times, well a lot of times.

15 hours ago, Lakobrija said:

Financially, they're still really strong. 

But they've also lost a good chunk of their reputation thanks to their fumbles with evolving semiconductor manufacturing, notably 10nm. Intel would usually proudly tout "leadership" when it comes to manufacturing and lithography, but thanks to these foibles, notably under Krzanich's tenure, they can't, having to resort to basically extracting every last bit out of their aging 14nm node. 

That's one of Gelsinger's main things to fix up. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 1/29/2021 at 5:13 AM, Lakobrija said:

Um, they have?????🤨

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

Important to remember in stories like this that it will be quite some time before any effect of the hiring is felt, probably. The development timeline for microprocessors is measured in years. Intel could literally hire all the best engineers in the world tomorrow, have headhunters make everybody responsible for AMD's turnaround "an offer they can't refuse," and we wouldn't immediately see Intel take the lead. Both Intel and AMD's pipeline of new chips coming out within at least the next couple years is basically already set in stone. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 1/28/2021 at 4:44 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Yet, all you read in the news is how insane it is that CEO's make millions of dollars each year... It's almost as if, stay with me here, that having toxic/piss poor leadership at the top of a (massive) company results in the loss of millions if not billions of dollars, not including damage to the brand. Maybe they are paid extraordinarily well because of their importance. That said, sucks for Intel in this case, as they spent a fortune on a CEO who was clearly not qualified... Big RIP. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

5 hours ago, Middcore said:

Important to remember in stories like this that it will be quite some time before any effect of the hiring is felt, probably. The development timeline for microprocessors is measured in years. Intel could literally hire all the best engineers in the world tomorrow, have headhunters make everybody responsible for AMD's turnaround "an offer they can't refuse," and we wouldn't immediately see Intel take the lead. Both Intel and AMD's pipeline of new chips coming out within at least the next couple years is basically already set in stone. 

Also worth noting that Intel is quite the Titanic in terms of size. It takes even longer for such changes to be reflected throughout the company versus a smaller company like AMD, whose smaller overall scale may be advantageous when it comes to responding to quickly. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

49 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Titanic[....]. It takes even longer for such changes to be reflected throughout the company

I don't know about that, how about you ask the iceberg just how quick it can make a change happen 😉

Spoiler

4x176n.jpg