Video editing, new build or Mac?

Mgmdada
Just now, Aereldor said:

I said I agreed with your conclusion of FCP locking you into OSX but that was my reason, esp for a beginner. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. I like Resolve too, but I'm too used to Vegas. Same story with Sibelius, I learned shitty software and now unlearning it is too hard.

Why is Vegas poop? 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

5 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

I can screenshot whatever setting you want me to. Perhaps I have configuration of obs wrong? I followed online settings guides. 

Yes, post it here, maybe someone can help you. I'm not an expert in OBS, i just install and use it.

The bottom line is your PC is capable of doing a video editing, add another 8gb and you're set to go with any software available for windows.
Just try Davinci Resolve with your current pc, see if you like it.

Other option is Sony Vegas if you're overwhelmed with Davinci learning curve.

All i'm saying is getting a mac is not the only solution.

And editing 1080p videos is not a demanding task that you need a specialized hardware / software for it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, Mgmdada said:

Bet fcpx has the most tutorials and therefore also the most easiest to follow? Little point in using a software for which there's not sufficient or easy enough tutorials at all levels. Levels meaning beginner, amateur, advanced etc. 

Thanks

nope plenty of good ones for DR. Blackmagic makes plenty and so do other people.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

if you go mac

mac mini, 8gb (16gb doesn't matter the swap is so fast) 512gb of storage. then get some external HDD in an enclosure.
iMac until they update doesn't make sense
macbook doesn't make sense the pro is better for its fan and bigger battery

Why doesn't the new MacBook Pro m1 not make sense? 

Please note, I need something now. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

The bottom line is your PC is capable of doing a video editing, add another 8gb and you're set to go with any software available for windows.

And editing 1080p videos is not a demanding task that you need a specialized hardware / software for it.

DR doesn't have one that bad and sony would be the last thing I'd try.

Yep, I did plenty on an 6600k 16gb of ram and RX580/GTX970. that did 1440p 100mbps H265 decently. I'm my 2700x and RX580 can do 4k H264 along with pro res

3 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

sorry macbook air.

I'd go mac mini, you shouldn't be editing on a laptop long term. sure if you need to edit on the go its often the easiest, but a mac mini really isn't any bigger and there are so many less issues around thermals and noise

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, post it here, maybe someone can help you. I'm not an expert in OBS, i just install and use it.

All i'm saying is getting a mac is not the only solution.

My PC is insanely slow. Rendering takes crazy time. My videos are almost all over 1 hour long. I tried rendering a video in Vegas. It never rendered. It took too long. Video was about an hour and a half. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

DR doesn't have one that bad and sony would be the last thing I'd try.

Yep, I did plenty on an 6600k 16gb of ram and RX580/GTX970. that did 1440p 100mbps H265 decently. I'm my 2700x and RX580 can do 4k H264 along with pro res

sorry macbook air.

I'd go mac mini, you shouldn't be editing on a laptop long term. sure if you need to edit on the go its often the easiest, but a mac mini really isn't any bigger and there are so many less issues around thermals and noise

I thought all m1 products have no fans and no thermal issues? 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

2 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

I thought all m1 products have no fans and no thermal issues? 

the air can have issues with long runs. and no matter what apple says it isn't go for parts to be running at 90C+

Just now, GDRRiley said:

the air can have issues with long runs. and no matter what apple says it isn't go for parts to be running at 90C+

Isn't the only difference between the air m1 and the pro m1, that the pro has one more gpu core? 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

1 minute ago, Mgmdada said:

Isn't the only difference between the air m1 and the pro m1, that the pro has one more gpu core? 

no.

the pro can have 1 more GPU core but the air can be upgraded to match. The pro has a better cooling system, bigger battery

no.

the pro can have 1 more GPU core but the air can be upgraded to match. The pro has a better cooling system, bigger battery

So then how is the mini better for daily video editing? You said the laptops aren't the best idea for daily video editing. The mini has no fans at all

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

Bet fcpx has the most tutorials and therefore also the most easiest to follow? Little point in using a software for which there's not sufficient or easy enough tutorials at all levels. Levels meaning beginner, amateur, advanced etc. 

Thanks

All the popular editing software has a tutorial out there. You just need to find it.

The learning curve are different though, i put Vegas as the easiest followed by FCPX, Premiere and the worst is Davinci.

My PC is insanely slow. Rendering takes crazy time. My videos are almost all over 1 hour long. I tried rendering a video in Vegas. It never rendered. It took too long. Video was about an hour and a half. 

But it works right? You can just get a beefier CPU with more cores to tackle this one.

12 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

For what you want to do for that kind of money you can buy a better PC with huge ram and storage.

Unless you wanna work on the go, that's what the new macbook are best.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

Why is Vegas poop? 

It's not intuitive, everything is terribly optimized, the built in plug-ins suck, doing simple shit like picture-in-picture is an unbelievably roundabout process, doesn't play nice with lots of video formats... Though to be fair I'm using one of the Steam editions that I got for $12.

Get the Macbook.

4 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

So then how is the mini better for daily video editing? You said the laptops aren't the best idea for daily video editing. The mini has no fans at all

its got plenty of space

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Get the Macbook.

do not get a macbook to edit. your back will thank you. Get a mac mini and set up your desk right

4 hours ago, Aereldor said:

It's not intuitive, everything is terribly optimized, the built in plug-ins suck, doing simple shit like picture-in-picture is an unbelievably roundabout process, doesn't play nice with lots of video formats... Though to be fair I'm using one of the Steam editions that I got for $12.

Get the Macbook.

MacBook? Or mini? Or imac? Intel heavily upgrade or m1?

4 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

All the popular editing software has a tutorial out there. You just need to find it.

The learning curve are different though, i put Vegas as the easiest followed by FCPX, Premiere and the worst is Davinci.

But it works right? You can just get a beefier CPU with more cores to tackle this one.

For what you want to do for that kind of money you can buy a better PC with huge ram and storage.

Unless you wanna work on the go, that's what the new macbook are best.

No. It doesn't really work. It's on a limb kinda thing. USB ports don't work properly (some of them). Have to use speedfan to regulate cpu fan speed as motherboard manufacturer didn't bother making the driver software thing to support windows 10. 

The cpu fan makes a ticking noise. It's annoying. 

Rendering is crazy slow. I need to be able to render 1 hour plus videos daily. That includes the fact I have to edit them. 

This PC is ancient. It's not OK to edit videos with it. 

I had to reinstall many times and hope each time it would work without errors. I STILL get random errors, but they don't seem to affect my use. It's not stable clearly. Apple products just work. 

I suspect fcpx is the easiest to use as most YouTuber's use it and most aren't technically inclined. As in most don't have much or any knowledge on computers. 

And I really do think there's far far far more tutorials for fcpx. I remember trying davinci and there were hardly any tutorials. Almost all were very long and slow and not to the point. 

4 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

its got plenty of space

do not get a macbook to edit. your back will thank you. Get a mac mini and set up your desk right

I can always hook the laptop up to a screen and mouse keyboard using a dock thing? 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

58 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

No. It doesn't really work. It's on a limb kinda thing. USB ports don't work properly (some of them). Have to use speedfan to regulate cpu fan speed as motherboard manufacturer didn't bother making the driver software thing to support windows 10. 

The cpu fan makes a ticking noise. It's annoying. 

Rendering is crazy slow. I need to be able to render 1 hour plus videos daily. That includes the fact I have to edit them. 

This PC is ancient. It's not OK to edit videos with it. 

I had to reinstall many times and hope each time it would work without errors. I STILL get random errors, but they don't seem to affect my use. It's not stable clearly. Apple products just work. 

I suspect fcpx is the easiest to use as most YouTuber's use it and most aren't technically inclined. As in most don't have much or any knowledge on computers. 

And I really do think there's far far far more tutorials for fcpx. I remember trying davinci and there were hardly any tutorials. Almost all were very long and slow and not to the point. 

And you expect random things don't happen in apple?

I owned multiple apple devices, they share the same amount of problems with PC.

And with apple stuff, when it's not working you're gonna need more effort to fix it, plus enough budget.

M1 macbooks all integrated, one thing broken, youre gonna have to throw it away.

You can't upgrade the ram and hdd, screen broken it's gonna cost half of the laptop worth, not to mention battery.

My last macbook i bought 6 batteries, all dead because i forgot to charge it on time.

Luckily everything is still replaceable, the memory, the hdd, so it served me pretty long time, not like newer macs.

I got to admin M1 is very good, but you gotta think twice before buying it.

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

And you expect random things don't happen in apple?

I owned multiple apple devices, they share the same amount of problems with PC.

And with apple stuff, when it's not working you're gonna need more effort to fix it, plus enough budget.

M1 macbooks all integrated, one thing broken, youre gonna have to throw it away.

You can't upgrade the ram and hdd, screen broken it's gonna cost half of the laptop worth, not to mention battery.

My last macbook i bought 6 batteries, all dead because i forgot to charge it on time.

Luckily everything is still replaceable, the memory, the hdd, so it served me pretty long time, not like newer macs.

I got to admin M1 is very good, but you gotta think twice before buying it.

I own a MacBook air since 2013 January. I wrote this in my op. I've had no serious issues with it. 

One key stopped working and apple quoted me £250 to replace the keyboard. 

I did it myself for about £60 for a keyboard, backlight both from eBay and some screwdrivers including the special one needed to open it. 

They replaced the battery once during apple care and again due to the warranty the battery came with. Though I had to argue my way to a new battery the second time as I had just fallen outside the warranty or something like that. 

Apart from those 2 things, I've had no serious issues with my MacBook. 

Every PC I have built has had serious issues that affected my ability to use it. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

-didnt really read much-

regardless of if you want to use the CPU... hows the free market price compared to what you paid for it?

could always sell it for more if you'd like, and not using it

just offering another option

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

-didnt really read much-

regardless of if you want to use the CPU... hows the free market price compared to what you paid for it?

could always sell it for more if you'd like, and not using it

just offering another option

EBay and PayPal charge too much. I would likely make a loss. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

6 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

You could also make a hackintosh for super cheap

No way. I don't have budget issues. And I need something reliable. This is a terrible idea and should only be done for those that want to experiment. This is not a good idea for anyone wanting to do serious work. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

27 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

And I need something reliable

Hackintosh runs reliably on newer intel CPU's too. You can enjoy both the benefits of Windows and macOS with faster performance too (depending on which hardware you choose)

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

Of course this wouldn't me a mobile option like a new M1 MBP, however perhaps you could go ahead and build your PC, and then when required, run MacOs in a virtual machine from a separate drive partition of Linux? This isn't beginner stuff, but Linus has a video on how to set this up on the main channel. Though I find Snazzy Labs makes it look simpler:

I'm actually interested in this for myself, and would like to know if the optimization MacOs does for some programs like Resolve would carry over to a VM setup like this? It would mean having 3 OSs on one machine to choose from, and the ability to use custom parts... 😯

maybe I missed it, but did you ever give a budget for how much you can spend?  I also get the feeling you really want a mac, and are looking for reasons to justify it. if you are going to build a PC get components from reputable brands (Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI to name a few) dont get their bottom of the line range, get at least a mid range, drivers should not be an issue honestly. I ran a Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3L for over a decade on a core 2 CPU with an Radeon 6750 GFX card and 8 GB of RAM. never had a driver issue, windows 7-10, and Linux. I'm now using a older but new system, intel DH67BL motherboard, i5- 3450 with 16GB RAM (now intel is an ass and dropped all driver support, but it still runs just fine.)

If you want a mac get a mac. other wise for the same money you can get just as good maybe even more powerful hardware. run Linux instead of windows if you really don't want to mess with windows.

5 hours ago, Mgmdada said:

4 hours ago, Mgmdada said:

You are making assumptions. A lot of them. So it seems like you are prefacing yourself so that you have very good reason to spend high money and hope that it works out.

There are plenty of tutorials for all mainstream video editors, and even those less used (like Blender VCE for example). I have learned to edit videos on Windows Movie Maker and Corel VideoStudio. I have used almost all video editors on Windows. Except Vegas Pro since it didn't have free trial back in the days (= 2009). Premier and that Corel one was taught in school, rest I have learned with tutorials, trial-and-error, and searching specific tricks when I need something new or some setting is annoying me. Currently on Resolve because I don't need to edit that much.

I haven't used Final Cut or any other Apple exclusive software. But I would say that if you need to learn video editing first on free software. All timeline styled video editing software are close to each other, learning to use one means you know how basics work and can adapt them fairly easily.

Besides the tutorials, the assumption about most youtubers being on Apple seems pretty odd. Why would they spend that kind of money unless they already were on Apple before starting on YT? So probably vloggers and lifestyle youtubers do edit on Apple. But then gamers and other variety creators probably don't. And reason is that getting Mac and FCPX just to edit videos when they already have PC is just waste of money.

Anyway, as for your current PC. You can edit or learn to edit with that. Thats not the issue. The issue is that you are probably trying too high quality videos. 720p is well doable, but full HD probably isn't. Also editing 1h long videos... what kind of content your are trying to produce? Wouldn't it be easier to learn with YT highlight-length stuff so 10-25mins?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv