Video editing, new build or Mac?

Mgmdada

I have bought a 5900X which are hard to get a hold of. 

It's sitting in my room. 

I have started the returns process having emailed the company as I HAVE to return it within 2 weeks of purchase otherwise I can't get a refund. When I emailed them it was day 13. But it was a Saturday so it will be today that the returns process begins. 

I can likely cancel the returns process within a few days. So fast replies are much appreciated. Limited time left. 

I'm going to be editing videos everyday.

1080p for now. H.264.

Phone videos, screen recordings, compact camera videos and dsls videos. 

I'm undecided as to whether to get a Mac or build a new PC. 

My current build is over 8 years old. So if I were to build a new PC it would have to be an entirely new build. 

I'll be moving in a few months from my parents home to a rented place. I don't know where and what kind of place I'll get. So there might not be room for a full PC setup as I have now. Which includes 5.1 surround and 2 PC screens, one of which is like 15 inches and is very very old and the other a 24 inch old screen. 

I suspect, if I build my own PC, that it'll be much faster than what I could buy from apple? 

However final cut is very efficient with the hardware on apples right? So perhaps that means that final cut will perform as well as say... Vegas pro would on a more powerful machine than the Mac? 

I don't want to get premier pro because you have to pay monthly. 

I would much rather buy the program outright. Which isn't an option with premier. 

I'm a total beginner for video editing. So I'll need plenty of video tutorials not only for the start, but also slightly more complicated things. 

I reckon final cut has many more tutorials for all levels on YouTube, than Vegas Pro does. Am I right? 

I also read that final cut is just better than Vegas? 

Also I've had much headache with my PC that I built. Things like hardware manufacturers not releasing full drivers for windows 10, such as the fan control driver/software for my motherboard and no drivers for the asus xonar d2x, not to mention the many many other issues I've had which includes bsod's and having to reinstall windows multiple times, which is a mammoth task because I have to remember every single things I need to backup from every software, to be able to then reinstall windows. 

Macs just work. I have a MacBook air and have had no serious issues with it, unlike my own built PC. I read many people having issues with custom builds all the time, which includes with the latest hardware such as the cpu I recently bought (5900x) combined with the motherboard it's attached to. 

But then I'm primarily a windows user. 

It just seems overall, it's gonna make sense for me to get a mac of some sort. 

Either a MacBook or an iMac.

Thoughts? 

If I go the Mac route, what should I get, bearing in mind I might film at higher resolutions in the future. 

I want something that'll be fast. Not just 'it'll work'.

And I need it now. Not in April when the new M chip containing macs come out. 

Thanks. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

The best route will be going with a custom PC. Yes mac's are optimized to all hell and back but that can only do so much.

If you could tell me your budget and your location I could make a pretty decent build.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

The best route will be going with a custom PC. Yes mac's are optimized to all hell and back but that can only do so much.

If you could tell me your budget and your location I could make a pretty decent build.

But didn't you read about the video editing software? All I wrote about that? And that I might need to go fully mobile if I don't have space for example? Not to mention all I wrote about the issues I've had with my PC. Did you read my entire post?  Thanks. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

You can use Davinci Resolve which is also available for mac AND free.

You don't need high end specs to edit 1080p videos.

Get a 6 cores cpu and a GTX1650 or RX580.

If you have bad experience with PC, then go buy a mac with all of it's premium.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

But didn't you read about the video editing software? All I wrote about that? And that I might need to go fully mobile if I don't have space for example? Not to mention all I wrote about the issues I've had with my PC. Did you read my entire post?  Thanks. 

If you're a beginner learning new software, final cut pro is the best. Just like Garageband is almost exactly like Logic Pro, except free, iMovie is also a lot like Final Cut Pro, except free. 

M1 Macs are pretty powerful and actually reasonably priced, and the colour accuracy you get with a Macbook screen is almost impossible to beat without spending $500+ on the monitor alone.

So yeah, as a big PC fan, I would just get a mac. There are huge student discounts on Macbooks and on Final Cut Pro. Go ahead and do that

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Idk the software is pretty make-or-break with video editing. As a beginner, it's impossible to beat Final Cut Pro, and in terms of having a great, colour accurate screen as well as a decent PC, a macbook is actually gonna save him money, and the m1 chips are bananas in OSX

Just now, Mgmdada said:

Yes I did read your full post. If you want I will address each individually.

7 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

However final cut is very efficient with the hardware on apples right? So perhaps that means that final cut will perform as well as say... Vegas pro would on a more powerful machine than the Mac? 

Yes mac's are optimized to all hell and back but that can only do so much when the hardware is severely limited thermally and hardware wise.

8 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

I don't want to get premier pro because you have to pay monthly. 

I would much rather buy the program outright. Which isn't an option with premier. 

There are many softwares on windows that are not subscription based. There are even very powerful free ones such as Davinci Resolve.

9 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

I reckon final cut has many more tutorials for all levels on YouTube, than Vegas Pro does. Am I right? 

I also read that final cut is just better than Vegas? 

Yes but Vegas is not the only option. DaVInci resolve has a free version that is more than enough for most people and if you feel that you need the extra features, then the Pro one is a one time payment. I personally use Davinci Resolve for all my editing(the free one)

11 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

Also I've had much headache with my PC that I built. Things like hardware manufacturers not releasing full drivers for windows 10, such as the fan control driver/software for my motherboard and no drivers for the asus xonar d2x, not to mention the many many other issues I've had which includes bsod's and having to reinstall windows multiple times, which is a mammoth task because I have to remember every single things I need to backup from every software, to be able to then reinstall windows. 

The rule of windows is that once you have found a set of drivers that work just leave it until it gets really out of date. BSOD's and other such issues are not that common.

8 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

And that I might need to go fully mobile if I don't have space for example?

There are many windows laptops that have significantly better cooling and specs compared to a mac that are not chonky. You are not getting a trackpad as good as a mac on a windows machine tho.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I have a rx580. I film my screen everyday in obs. Gpu gets maxed out and I get 'encoding overload'. It's too weak. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Idk the software is pretty make-or-break with video editing. As a beginner, it's impossible to beat Final Cut Pro, and in terms of having a great, colour accurate screen as well as a decent PC, a macbook is actually gonna save him money, and the m1 chips are bananas in OSX

as someone who who learned to edit on all 3 early in their life DR is my pick. FCPX locks you into macs

you could run an M1 mac mini but you aren't going to game on that.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, Mgmdada said:

I have a rx580. I film my screen everyday in obs. Gpu gets maxed out and I get 'encoding overload'. It's too weak. 

I recorded plenty on a 6600k and a RX580 that sounds like bad settings more than anything

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I recorded plenty on a 6600k and a RX580 that sounds like bad settings more than anything

Wait. I have a rx570 4gb and, 3570k

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

Just now, Mgmdada said:

Wait. I have a rx570

Wait... What are your current PC specs?

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Wait... What are your current PC specs?

I5 3570k

RX570 4GB

8GB RAM

BUILT IN 2012

But it's the gpu that gets overloaded during screen recording in obs. CPU and ram seem OK. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

3 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

Well it's not the sign of weakness, i've edit with weaker gpu than that with no problem.

It's one of the best 1080p card on the market. Including RX570.

All GPU should maxed out when rendering, that's what it suppose to do, the different is the time it took to finish the render.

If it's not maxing out, then you don't get what you paid for.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Well it's not the sign of weakness, i've edit with weaker gpu than that with no problem.

It's one of the best 1080p card on the market. Including RX570.

All GPU should maxed out when rendering, that's what it suppose to do, the different is the time it took to finish the render.

If it's not maxing out, then you don't get what you paid for.

I get 'encoding overloaded' and all speech and faces are out of sync. I film conversations like Skype calls

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

Just now, Mgmdada said:

I5 3570k

RX570 4GB

8GB RAM

BUILT IN 2012

Calm down a little bit

Yeah, an M1 macbook will beat the shit out of that. Though @GDRRiley is right - learning Final Cut Pro will lock you in to mac, but for the reason that FCP is just the easiest to use, slickest, most beginner-friendly software out there, second maybe only to iMovie. You'll also need to find workarounds for your games, using crossover etc. This guy got Witcher 3 to run at high settings, so I mean it's not impossible, just an extra step in the process.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Calm down a little bit

Yeah, an M1 macbook will beat the shit out of that. Though @GDRRiley is right - learning Final Cut Pro will lock you in to mac, but for the reason that FCP is just the easiest to use, slickest, most beginner-friendly software out there, second maybe only to iMovie. You'll also need to find workarounds for your games, using crossover etc. This guy got Witcher 3 to run at high settings, so I mean it's not impossible, just an extra step in the process.

I don't care about gaming. I can either build a PC for that or get a ps5 when stock allows. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

Just now, Mgmdada said:

I get 'encoding overloaded' and all speech and faces are out of sync. I film conversations like Skype calls

it should not make this, there's something wrong with your system /  config.

OBS is not a heavy program.

it should not make this, there's something wrong with your system /  config.

OBS is not a heavy program.

I can screenshot whatever setting you want me to. Perhaps I have configuration of obs wrong? I followed online settings guides. 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

2 minutes ago, Mgmdada said:

I don't care about gaming. I can either build a PC for that or get a ps5 when stock allows. 

Then it's not really a question. If you have a valid student ID or valid .edu email address, then just milk the discounts and get an $800 macbook and $200 for the whole Apple program suite- Final Cut, Logic, Mainstage, Motion, Compressor, Quicktime pro lifetime licenses and support

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah, an M1 macbook will beat the shit out of that. Though @GDRRiley is right - learning Final Cut Pro will lock you in to mac, but for the reason that FCP is just the easiest to use, slickest, most beginner-friendly software out there, second maybe only to iMovie.

No it isn't. I started on PP then learned a little in FCPX before moving to DR. I've had the option to pick which one for the last 4 years and DR is it.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Then it's not really a question. If you have a valid student ID or valid .edu email address, then just milk the discounts and get an $800 macbook and $200 for the whole Apple program suite- Final Cut, Logic, Mainstage, Motion, Compressor, Quicktime pro lifetime licenses and support

I'm from the UK. It's only 10% off as far as I'm aware on an order? 

Also what should I get. MacBook or iMac or mini? 

What spec levels? 

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD

No it isn't. I started on PP then learned a little in FCPX before moving to DR. I've had the option to pick which one for the last 4 years and DR is it.

I said I agreed with your conclusion of FCP locking you into OSX but that was my reason, esp for a beginner. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. I like Resolve too, but I'm too used to Vegas. Same story with Sibelius, I learned shitty software and now unlearning it is too hard.

Just now, Mgmdada said:

I'm from the UK. It's only 10% off as far as I'm aware on an order? 

Also what should I get. MacBook or iMac or mini? 

What spec levels? 

if you go mac

mac mini, 8gb (16gb doesn't matter the swap is so fast) 512gb of storage. then get some external HDD in an enclosure.
iMac until they update doesn't make sense
macbook doesn't make sense the pro is better for its fan and bigger battery

Bet fcpx has the most tutorials and therefore also the most easiest to follow? Little point in using a software for which there's not sufficient or easy enough tutorials at all levels. Levels meaning beginner, amateur, advanced etc. 

Thanks

I5 3570k

RX 570 4GB

8GB RAM

Crucial SSD