Nexusmods Legit?

Mq3

Looking into getting some Witcher 3 mods and I've seen Nexusmods pop up but before I just download random stuff, is it legit? Anything I should be careful with?

Nexus Mods is probably the biggest site out there for game mods, so it's definitely legit in that regard.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Check the community (the game's and the NexusMods one) to see if the MODS you are thinking of adding have any conflicts with the Witcher 3 patches. Some MODS are not reversible even if you roll back to a previous save-point. And you may have to install the game again from your back-up. Which brings me to 'back-up' your game before installing any MODS, so you do not have to purchase the game again (worst case scenario).

Fallout has its own community that does bug fixes and they say that they are compatible with some MODS and not others, so perhaps look for a Witcher 3 community that does a similar thing?

Hope this helps

Cheers Steve

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

3 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

so you do not have to purchase the game again (worst case scenario).

Both Steam and GoG allow you re-download if you remove it for whatever reason, and GoG even allows you to download an offline installer. I would be wary of any service that required a re-buy. I guess a physical version may have this issue?

The rest is interesting, and very helpful to be mindful of, regardless.

35 minutes ago, Mq3 said:

is it legit?

It is quite legit. They even use a side-loader app/launcher now (Vortex) that allows you set priority/order of mods (huge deal for some instances). The premium version is nice, because it removes the download speed limit (1MB) and one-at-a-time-ness, and if you plan on getting very many mods, it might be worth it to pay it for a month.

I have/had quite a few Witcher 3 mods, all from NexusMods.

40 minutes ago, Mq3 said:

Anything I should be careful with?

Can always take a look at number of downloads and time it's been uploaded. That usually tells you that it's a good mod and not something that will brick your PC or be malware. But take the regular precautions you would when downloading anything.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Vortex, the tool for NM has a great feature to clone your current save and test mods. Of course that only protects you against anything immediately visible but I have found it invaluable in getting mods working before applying to my main saves.

I also like that it allows me to have various builds playing variously modded games, so I don’t need to add all mods to all saves. If a mod is just relevant to one then it only gets installed on one save!

I use a few mod sites, sourceforge, NM and a few others. Perfectly safe and used by millions every day.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv